Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading the bass in my system but am a little confused as to whether or not the stock electrical system can handle it or not.

My car is a 2008 6i, 4 cylinder.

This is my current setup, which I run with no problems (that I am aware of anyway):

4x 45W RMS running the cabin speakers
1x 250W RMS running a 10" infinity basslink subwoofer
The subwoofer I run cranked as high as I can get it most of the time, which is why I'm looking to upgrade.

This is what I'm considering running:
No change to cabin setup
Kicker 08ZX1500.1 1500W RMS running 2x 750W RMS 12" subs

I realize that this is a huge step up in power requirements for my car, and am concerned that I will run into electrical problems. I would like to state that I do value my hearing and would obviously not run around listening to this system with the subwoofers pulling maximum current for more than probably about 30 seconds at a time.

I do NOT want to screw around with second batteries or high output alternators. So my question is, do you think the stock electrical system can handle these subwoofers running at 1/2 or less power most of the time?

I am willing and probably able to do a 'Big 3' wiring upgrade if required to run these.

I'm sure I would be perfectly happy with running a 1000W amp with 2x 600W 10" subs or possibly less, the only reason I have 1500/750 12" is because the 1500w amp was cheaper, and upgrading both subs to 12" cost only about $80 extra at that point.

My thinking is that I can put in a big system like this, and if the power draw is too much, I can just turn down the amp to a level the electrical system can handle, and look into electrical upgrades in the future if I want. Is this correct?

Any input/thoughts appreciated. Including suggestions for alternate woofer setups altogether.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
i was running 2 mtx 1501D's that were spec'd at over [email protected] RMS a piece. and the stock alt handled it fine. i was running two kinetic HC2400 batteries though. but the OEM alt never had any issue's keeping up. never had any dimming either.

i thought i was gonna have issues originally. and had found a company that offers an upgraded alt. search online for maniac motors. they sell upgraded alt's. they do offer one for our car. i just figured id order it when mine died. but after 3 years, its still doing just fine. just upgrade your wiring, and use a quality and powerful battery.

·
Registered
521 Posts
totally fine, dont even worry about it for long periods of time.

The biggest risk is listening for the car OFF (again for long eriods of time)

car on? rock on. zero worries.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone interested, I installed this system along with a 'big 3'' upgrade of my engine wiring with about 2 gauge wire, leaving the stock wires in place as well. I have no voltage drop below 12 with everything cranked up, air conditioner going max, and lights on with the engine idling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im beatin 2 12" kicker cvrs dual voice 2 ohm on a 1800 watt amp with no problems at all as long as your not gonna have your car beatin with it not runnin forever you should be alright

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've not had any issue with the stock electrical yet either. At most I've run about 825 watts of power. I'll let you know what happens and I finish my upgrade to be at about 1,500 at 12 volts.

Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another thing you can add is a stiffening cap to handle short but large current draws from the amplifier. If your lights dim when pushing huge amounts of bass, you should put this cap in parallel to the amplifier power terminals.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
a cap is more so a band aid for there being a problem somewhere else. id much rather just have a properly sorted system that doesnt need a cap.

·
Registered
61 Posts
a cap is more so a band aid for there being a problem somewhere else. id much rather just have a properly sorted system that doesnt need a cap.
Agreed. Say you wouldn't happen to know if anyone makes a high output alternator that fits our cars?

·
Registered
61 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts