Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tryin to get a new system this summer....

currently i have a 800watt mono audiobahn amp and a awt1506t sub (15" 1300watts) in a big ass vented enclosure... its loud and all but im sick of it being so damn big

i want to have 2 10s or 12s that can hang with this setup but be able to use less space. I plan on making my own boxes to try to hide the subs away (MDF probably, not fiberglassing yet)

so far ive looked at........
alpine R - drawback is 10 gets to 26hz and 12 gets to 25hz
audiobahn alums - drawback is the damn 6ohm voicecoils
alpine type x - drawback is i want 2 moderately expensive subs not one real pricey one
Infinity perfect (not vq) - drawback is i had perfects a long time ago, they killed low bass but not the higer Hz's
RF punch stage 3- dont know any off hand, but just a recent addition to the list

basically... im looking for 2 good 10s or 12s that can compete with a 1300watt 15 getting 800 watts...... want em to get to 20hz, handle about 500-700watts, and be able to have a small enclosure...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one?

·
Registered
884 Posts
JL Audio W6's...2 tens will hit harder than what you had and sound much cleaner. You won't be disappointed...2 10w7's are more expensive but are top of the line. Also, look into Orion and Eclipse subs, they are great and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
<h1>memphis audio!!!</h1>

i had two 12" type-r's and they blew, so i replaced them with memphis m3's

they hit as hard, if not harder and its THE TITS.

once you go memphis, you never go back.

edit:

they're not in my 6 yet, cuz i'm too broke to replace my shitty ass bose system, amp the speaks, and get the metra kit. both subs (type-r's and memphis) were in my blazer, and they ruled. granted it was an open air cabin, as opposed to the trunk in my mazda, but i guarantee they'll fucking own when (and if) i get them back in the 6.

ps - i tend to ramble.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i had the same setup in my jeep grand cherokee.... not exact but it was the same sub model and it was gettin around 600 watts... it was great for a suv but it got sold with my suv... when i got the 6 i got the idiot idea to buy an infiity basslink T.... (dunno what the fuck i was thinkn) it 1) sucked and 2) broke so i went back to the big 15 and gave it 800watts... its just too big tho and the car rattles a lot(given i have no dynamat anywhere)

not too sure the point of that, guess tryin to say what sounds good in a suv might not be the solution for our 6

and OUCH, i just looked at the prices of JL audio subs.... and im not lookin at legit prices im sure 10s are 300 a piece... i mean my sub i have now is supposed to be like 450 but i ebayed it for around 2...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a JL 300/2 amp with a pair of 12 W3's my deci·bel meter is around 138.2 max (with me in the car... havent tryed a closed door full run but thats another story. I dont think you will get with the boom you want. With JL, the W3 tends to be much more punchy then boomy, I would go either fockfords punch series (funny 'cus they dont really punch). My bro on the other hand has 2 12s (punch) with a 500watt MTX amp that sounded WAY deeper (more rumble) but wont kick you in the chest like mine. I guess with a better eq i might be able to rumble too... I dunno over all, I like the fosgate punches better because I dont lsten to that much rock with the kick drum (maybe the roots though!?) Its all up to personal taste & style of music. Just going on assumption, I would say you like heavy deep slow moving base (ie a 15w/1000+ watts) so I would think go rockford fosgate punch series 12's in a ported box (more boom from a bandpass but it would take a box bigger then your old 15!). hope it made sense.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya most of what i listen to is hiphop n rap.... listen to other stuff but the hiphop is what gets played loud... and your right i love the low bass but i also like the high frequencies to be played good. hard to find a sub that will play both really really good... my 15 does decent on the high end bass but i feel its kinda sloppy... and a bandpass for 2 12s is prolly smaller than my box... i think mines around like 3.5cuft :unsure:

hard hard decisions, im kinda leanin towards audiobahn alums or maybe 1 12" alpine x series

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
c'mon i know everyone has 2 cents to put in

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
get kicker solobarics...they can be in tiny ass sealed boxes. A lost of people use them in trucks, i have two in my winter beater and i love them

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm running a JL 500/1 wtih 10w7, sealed enclosure @ 1.55cu. ft. I love the sub, it hits the lows very well. I was recommened 2 10w6v2, those subs hit hard. If you listen to hip hop/rap JL is the way to go. Also i went with a sealed enclosure because i wanted good quality bass, not just the obnoxious boom. For building your box, make sure to use the recommended vol for the box, to maximize performance.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Just make sure whatever subs you decided that your impedance matches 2 Ohm, since that is what your amp will be looking for to send your desired 800W. I would recommend either one Eclipse SW9122 or two of the new JL 12W3V3. The new W3V3's have a higher efficency that the V2 models. Also with two of these 4 ohm SVC subs, your impedance would be 2 ohm which would push 400W to each sub, which more than enough to push these bad boys. They are the new 06 model and most places online don't carry them yet. But you should be able to pick up a set at a local shop for about $500.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im going to get the amp to match whatever subs i decide on getting

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why do you use your subs to handle "high bass"? That's what midbass drivers are for if you like that frequency.

There are so many subs in that category. Plus many subs can take that power if you make a smaller enclosure. Do you have a price range or sky's the limit?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not necessarly high bass but the upper limit of subs... for instance i had infinity perfects and they would go real low, but slacked on regular bass lines, it sometimes made songs sound different than the normally do... my friend has a perfect 12 and if hes playin music u think hes got the bass way down until a low bass line starts and it loud as hell...

id say the price im lookin to spend would be around 275 a sub (retail)

odds are ima ebay whatever i pick or find a website that has them for cheaper

·
Registered
491 Posts
Soundsplinter (on my sig) has the RL-p, Eclipse SW8200, kicker solos, RF Power series. All great subs and decently small enclosures.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I ran perfects for a year, and never heard what you are describing. I think he just needs to get a more solid mid-bass in his setup.

In anycase, I'm going to go ahead and reccomend Elemental Designs subs. I've worked with them recently in both their Kv and Ov lines and have been impressed. Especially with what you pay for them.

www.edesignaudio.com

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
would u also recommend their amps? 350$ for a 1200x1ohm amp... sounds a lil too good to be true

also is that your trunk in your avatar? if so could i see some pics of it because thats the idea i was gonna go towards.... 2 subs on oppisite sides of the trunk in custom boxes

lastly, whats the freq responce of the 10s n 12s in the ov line, cant seem to fin dit

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes i also think its still midbass you're missing, but hey JMO. A lot of people swear by eD's amps but their subs, I've heard too many horror stories and bad customer service issues to ever buy from them.

You don't really need the Freq. response, most of em are full of it. If you are looking for the chart Free air response, good luck finding it. Ben doesn't put $h!t up to back up his claims from what I've seen.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Really? you've heard of bad customer service from eD? I find that really suprising.

As far as their amps go, I've hooked up a nine.1, it's bad ass.

here's a link to the pix of the trunk install in my avatar :
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=41488&hl=

as far as frequency response... those ratings are useless. Any sub will play into the 20's in a car. That's the beauty of cabin gain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
12 Participants
travis0385
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing