Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 06 mazdaspeed6, 103k miles, sweet car. Notice I had no low range with the radio and looking in the trunk there is no sub! So I put in a cheap planet audio sub (my money is going to other stuff on it for now) that just needs input to it, but I can't seem to figure it out. I don't really care a ton for the audio just want a little something extra.

There are 4 wires that are near it, blue/red, a black, a brown, and a black/red. The only one with power is the blue/red. I think I'm missing something because I know this whole system is running off an amp. I'm definitely not great with wiring but I can splice wire with a little direction. Am I missing something? Even if I had to splice into another rear speaker I wouldn't care. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Rally Racer
2,542 Posts
Just bought an 06 mazdaspeed6, 103k miles, sweet car. Notice I had no low range with the radio and looking in the trunk there is no sub! So I put in a cheap planet audio sub (my money is going to other stuff on it for now) that just needs input to it, but I can't seem to figure it out. I don't really care a ton for the audio just want a little something extra.

There are 4 wires that are near it, blue/red, a black, a brown, and a black/red. The only one with power is the blue/red. I think I'm missing something because I know this whole system is running off an amp. I'm definitely not great with wiring but I can splice wire with a little direction. Am I missing something? Even if I had to splice into another rear speaker I wouldn't care. Thanks!
Congratulations on the buy.
I have the wiring diagrams for your audio.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sub is in the rear deck and dismal compared to the spare tire mounted one in the hatchback. That sub has an amp on it, so only need power and signal. I have one i could sell you. Take a pic of the connector for me.
When i said the trunk I meant the rear deck, I was just referring to the fact that I could see the gaping hole of where one USED to be

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations on the buy.
I have the wiring diagrams for your audio.
I have looked at that and noticed I have no power to the black/red wire which should power the sub. As you know it runs to the amp under the passenger seat. Is the old Bose speaker with the built in amp required to power that wire? If so how do I bypass that?

·
Rally Racer
2,542 Posts
I have looked at that and noticed I have no power to the black/red wire which should power the sub. As you know it runs to the amp under the passenger seat. Is the old Bose speaker with the built in amp required to power that wire? If so how do I bypass that?
So, based on a quick look it appears that L/R (Blue/Red) is coming from the Woofer Relay (+)
B/R (Black/Red) and BR (Brown) are audio signal.
B (Black ) is common (ground)
In my wagon the sub is in the spare tire (like @TalonTsi90 indicated). That woofer is self powered and the B/R is the trigger wire.

Anyone correct me if I am reading this wrong please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, based on a quick look it appears that L/R (Blue/Red) is coming from the Woofer Relay (+)
In my wagon the sub is in the spare tire (like @TalonTsi90 indicated). That woofer is self powered and the B/R is the trigger wire.

How would I go about powering the sub that I have now then and getting signal to it? It's been a while since I did any wiring haha. I appreciate the help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

How would I bypass that? Its just a normal subwoofer and I don't know how it would all hook up with the wires that you said are involved. I looked at the schematics myself but can't see a way to do it...

·
Rally Racer
2,542 Posts
A normal subwoofer should just get its boosted signal from the amp.
A powered subwoofer gets a low level signal from the head unit and power from a trigger (head unit into relay)

Here is what I understand.
A self powered woofer:
Low-level audio signal coming in from the head-unit, (B/R & BR)
Amplifier power (L/R) will turn on the amp and power it.

An un-powered woofer (standard):
Needs High-level audio (powered, low Hz signal) from the amplifier only
The L/R wire will turn on that amp as a switch and not run directly to the speaker.

My wagon has the self powered version but I do not know what you pulled out of the sedan. @TalonTsi90 has suggested it is an un-powered woofer. If that is true, the amplified signal will be coming from your BOSE amp (under the passenger seat?) It should be noted that this is not the setup that I am reading in the wiring diagram (Mazdaspeed may be different)

The easiest way I an think of would be to connect the B/R and the BR to your woofer. If it is not producing good sound it likely needs an amp.

But an amp. Wire accessory power to it and use the L/R wire as the trigger (switch). The input for the amp then becomes the B/R & BR wires. Output from the amp is then straightforward as [OUT TO SPEAKER]

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A normal subwoofer should just get its boosted signal from the amp.
A powered subwoofer gets a low level signal from the head unit and power from a trigger (head unit into relay)

Here is what I understand.
A self powered woofer:
Low-level audio signal coming in from the head-unit, (B/R & BR)
Amplifier power (L/R) will turn on the amp and power it.

An un-powered woofer (standard):
Needs High-level audio (powered, low Hz signal) from the amplifier only
The L/R wire will turn on that amp as a switch and not run directly to the speaker.

My wagon has the self powered version but I do not know what you pulled out of the sedan. @TalonTsi90 has suggested it is an un-powered woofer. If that is true, the amplified signal will be coming from your BOSE amp (under the passenger seat?) It should be noted that this is not the setup that I am reading in the wiring diagram (Mazdaspeed may be different)

The easiest way I an think of would be to connect the B/R and the BR to your woofer. If it is not producing good sound it likely needs an amp.

But an amp. Wire accessory power to it and use the L/R wire as the trigger (switch). The input for the amp then becomes the B/R & BR wires. Output from the amp is then straightforward as [OUT TO SPEAKER]

Hope this makes sense.
I do not have power to the B/R wire, which is why I'm confused. By connecting the L/R wire to the black wire would that then give power to my B/R wire? I don't wanna blow anything up! Thanks for the help

·
Rally Racer
2,542 Posts
I do not have power to the B/R wire, which is why I'm confused. By connecting the L/R wire to the black wire would that then give power to my B/R wire? I don't wanna blow anything up! Thanks for the help
B/R is signal, not power, that's where the music is coming from (BR as well)

If you connect L/R to Black it will blow a fuse. L/R is battery power and black is ground, that's how you create a circuit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts