Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is good ridance!

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384...4-21822,00.html

The Japanese brand's controversial aircraft-inspired grilles, as featured on the Impreza and Tribeca, will disappear from the radar. Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries, chose to use the propeller corporate face on the current model as a pointer to its aeronautical history.

But Subaru spokesman David Rowley concedes the new face, introduced to Impreza last September, has had mixed reviews, even though sales have not declined.

Rowley says the propeller face has not been applied to the facelifted Liberty and Outback, due out next month, and it won't make it back for the forthcoming Impreza, scheduled for release next year.

"It's fair to say the design will not appear on future Subarus,” he says. "We had always said the aerospace theme could be applied in a variety of ways, like the way it's been presented on the Impreza and Tribeca.

"Fuji Heavy Industries said it would evolve over time. But it has not really been applied to Liberty and Outback."

Subaru's chief designer, Andreas Zapatinas, has resigned, effective the end of last month, but it is believed he was fired.

Rowley says Zapatinas was not responsible for the propeller theme: the Impreza and Tribeca designs were well advanced when the former Alfa and Fiat designer joined the Japanese carmaker.

Rowley says the first Zapatinas design is the next Impreza, due next year.

He is also tight-lipped about whether the company will return to another core plank of Subaru's brand image, rallying, in Australia. "We are still weighing up a variety of motorsport options on the domestic scene," he says. [/b]

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
thank god that was a terrible looking front end!

I thought the 05 STi couldnt get uglier...then i saw the 06 :barf:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
It took them THIS long to realize the guy sucked? He should have been canned before a single monstrosity went into production.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
It took them THIS long to realize the guy sucked? He should have been canned before a single monstrosity went into production.
[/b]
I can assure you, when the history books are written, WRX #3 will be the most collectible:

It may not be the prettiest, but it is, after all, the most distinctive.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I can assure you, when the history books are written, WRX #3 will be the most collectible:
[/b]
However, that is completely irrelevant to how well, or in this case poorly, the nose is styled.

·
Registered
990 Posts
[/b]
he was not responsible for the '06 refresh...that was locked in before he was hired from Alfa. His first work should be the completely redesigned '08 Impreza.

I'm personally happy with the '06 nose....on non-STI WRX's, its easily the most aggressive looking. I'm more happy, though with the other changes the '06 brought (2.5L, 17's, new brakes & steering).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Man when they first went to round lights i was sick to my stomach... though it was a neon with a body kit..... bleh.

The other two look great without huge wings.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,534 Posts
I wonder if a Subie will EVER get decent styling. The closest is the current Legacy. Everything else (B9 Tribeca, Impreza/WRX/STi, Forester) is just crap.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I haven't liked the styling of any Subaru since the Loyale. They need to find designers with taste.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I haven't liked the styling of any Subaru since the Loyale. They need to find designers with taste.
[/b]
You're kidding, right? This rip-off design of the 626 lacked any sense of originality, taste or grace and was a generation behind all the other Japanese makes of the time in styling cues. I really wonder about you, Diva. :headscrat:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I wonder if a Subie will EVER get decent styling. The closest is the current Legacy. Everything else (B9 Tribeca, Impreza/WRX/STi, Forester) is just crap.
[/b]

I wouldn't say it's crap but I agree, it could do with a serious makover. Their style still has that square dated (80's) look to it.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
The Loyale did not rip off the Mazda 626 because the design of the Loyale preceded the 1988 Mazda 626. While the Loyale badge came out in 1990 (which I use for simplicity), the car came out in 1985 as the Subaru DL/GL/etc.

While the 1985 model was a redesign, the styling was based on prior models. For the time, it was clean, tasteful, sharply tailored, and thoroughly modern. While not revolutionary enough to be considered "original", it was the first of a Japanese school that was later used by Toyota (1987 Camry), Mazda (1988 626), Mitsubishi (1988 Galant Sigma), Honda/Rover (1987 Sterling 827) and others with varying degrees of success.

If the car was a generation behind by the time it became the Loyale, and the styling dated at best, it's because the design was already in it's 6th model year, which is when it's normal to be a generation behind because you have hit the maximum expected lifespan for a design.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Man when they first went to round lights i was sick to my stomach... though it was a neon with a body kit..... bleh.

The other two look great without huge wings.
[/b]
Thats because the US got the ugly version of the rounded lights. The ones that are pictured in this thread are the JDM style, which look a hell of a lot better than the US headlights. Those JDM headlights are one of the most sought after parts by Subaru owners.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i think the tribeca is distinctive. i could see how someone would say it's ugly, though.
[/b]
the tribeca is distinctive similar to how a pile of vomit is distinctive...there's now way to confuse it with anything else

1 - 20 of 25 Posts