Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I glanced over at the LGT site and saw

Damn, that's nice. I have to read up on it. I think right now it will only be available in Japan.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If it looks anything like that, I love it! If you find any good info on it, please share.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a thread link: LGT STi

another pic:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Yeah, saw that over at LegacyGt.com. It'll be sweet but north of $35k easily if/when it reaches the states.

It looks sweet as hell though!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Interesting according to th pics it's an STi tuned 2.0 not the same 2.5L engine in the Legacy GT or STi here in the US. As much as I hate to admit it though that Subaru looks damn good (or at least less bland then the normal Legacy GT does)
Front end : :thumbup:
Spoiler/lip: :thumbup:
Wheels: :thumbup:
Interior: :thumbup:
Transmission: :thumbup: (6 speed manual from the 06 STi and the 07 Legacy GT Spec-B)
Power : :thumbup: (I'm assuming they will switch to the 2.5L 300hp STi engine that is in the US now)
Price: :thumbdn: (if the regular 2007 spec B is going to be 34+ here the STi version would most certainly be in the 38+ range...way too much if you ask me...it's still a Subaru and if I'm shopping for a 40K range car I will be looking more at the BMWs, Audis, Acuras, and Lexi)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Interesting according to th pics it's an STi tuned 2.0 not the same 2.5L engine in the Legacy GT or STi here in the US. As much as I hate to admit it though that Subaru looks damn good (or at least less bland then the normal Legacy GT does)
Front end : :thumbup:
Spoiler/lip: :thumbup:
Wheels: :thumbup:
Interior: :thumbup:
Transmission: :thumbup: (6 speed manual from the 06 STi and the 07 Legacy GT Spec-B)
Power : :thumbup: (I'm assuming they will switch to the 2.5L 300hp STi engine that is in the US now)
Price: :thumbdn: (if the regular 2007 spec B is going to be 34+ here the STi version would most certainly be in the 38+ range...way too much if you ask me...it's still a Subaru and if I'm shopping for a 40K range car I will be looking more at the BMWs, Audis, Acuras, and Lexi)
[/b]
Unless of course the price drops considerably because there isnt enough of a marketing push and the cars sit on the dealer lots collecting dust and generating interest for some car dealerships bank.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Unless of course the price drops considerably because there isnt enough of a marketing push and the cars sit on the dealer lots collecting dust and generating interest for some car dealerships bank.
[/b]
sounds familiar *cough* mazdaspeed6 *cough*

but I don't know if that will be an issue...with the WRX STi being as popular as it is putting the STi name on a Legacy (a pretty popular car) would sell pretty well IMO

·
Registered
649 Posts
sounds familiar *cough* mazdaspeed6 *cough*

but I don't know if that will be an issue...with the WRX STi being as popular as it is putting the STi name on a Legacy (a pretty popular car) would sell pretty well IMO
[/b]

The current legacy and the impreza STI are two totally different animals. Making an STI legacy will decrease the number of people who buy the Impreza STI. I don't think that many of the current legacy owners are looking for a car like that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't think that many of the current legacy owners are looking for a car like that.
[/b]
But how many Impreza owners are? Or anyone else for that matter. If you really wanted that type of car you wouldn't settle for something that didn't suit your needs/wants.

·
Registered
649 Posts
But how many Impreza owners are? Or anyone else for that matter. If you really wanted that type of car you wouldn't settle for something that didn't suit your needs/wants.
[/b]

Thats what i'm saying. The group that is going to want this STI legacy is the same that wants the STI Impreza. Those who are intrested in performance over other attributes of the car. Some people want base Imprezas and some want base or GT Legacys, but the ones who want the STI, that kind of performace, are going to be split between the two cars if the Legacy STI comes to the states.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thats what i'm saying. The group that is going to want this STI legacy is the same that wants the STI Impreza. Those who are intrested in performance over other attributes of the car. Some people want base Imprezas and some want base or GT Legacys, but the ones who want the STI, that kind of performace, are going to be split between the two cars if the Legacy STI comes to the states.
[/b]
I disagree

There are a great deal of people (including me) who are very impressed by the WRX STi but would never own one simply because of the park bench glued to the back of the trunk and the random other wings, scoops and racer boy nonsense that is attached to the car.

The Legacy already has a large following of gearheads and aftermarket support. These people have the same "STi mentality" as the WRX STi owners but prefer a more subdued look and feel to the harshness that is the Impreza WRX STi but still want performance

·
Registered
649 Posts
I disagree

There are a great deal of people (including me) who are very impressed by the WRX STi but would never own one simply because of the park bench glued to the back of the trunk and the random other wings, scoops and racer boy nonsense that is attached to the car.

The Legacy already has a large following of gearheads and aftermarket support. These people have the same "STi mentality" as the WRX STi owners but prefer a more subdued look and feel to the harshness that is the Impreza WRX STi but still want performance
[/b]
What? You are basically helping me make my point. What do you think is more important to the STi owners, the fact that it's an impreza or the fact that its an STi?? So you introduce a brand new sweet looking STi Legacy without that ugly ass park bench and you lose a good chunk of the Impreza STi's core demographic. You will also attract new buyers who had looked at the current STi offering and found it to not be thier taste(like you.) They will in turn increase sales by introducing the Legacy STi but they will also lose a huge chunk of business that might have other wise bought the STi Impreza.

They will also not be taking a very big chunk of the legacy owners either. If the Legacy STi makes it's way stateside you could very well lose a couple of the tuners but they aren't the main demographic of the legacy base models. Most people who own the legacy are just normal everyday people who like the reliability that subaru is known for and want something comfortable at a reasonable price. These people are not going to jump ship.

So the Legacy STi will sell in the states but it is not good business to nearly kill off an old model line (Impreza STi) by introducing a new one.

·
Registered
810 Posts
whoa. i like it. i hope the styling doesn't get butchered when it comes over to america.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What? You are basically helping me make my point. What do you think is more important to the STi owners, the fact that it's an impreza or the fact that its an STi?? So you introduce a brand new sweet looking STi Legacy without that ugly ass park bench and you lose a good chunk of the Impreza STi's core demographic. You will also attract new buyers who had looked at the current STi offering and found it to not be thier taste(like you.) They will in turn increase sales by introducing the Legacy STi but they will also lose a huge chunk of business that might have other wise bought the STi Impreza.

They will also not be taking a very big chunk of the legacy owners either. If the Legacy STi makes it's way stateside you could very well lose a couple of the tuners but they aren't the main demographic of the legacy base models. Most people who own the legacy are just normal everyday people who like the reliability that subaru is known for and want something comfortable at a reasonable price. These people are not going to jump ship.

So the Legacy STi will sell in the states but it is not good business to nearly kill off an old model line (Impreza STi) by introducing a new one.
[/b]
I think you're missing my point here:
I hate to make generalizations about people who buy cars and I tend to like most STi owners as they seem to generally know about vehicles and are decent people but I'm gonna make a few generalizations anyway.

People who buy Impreza STis are young, or want to be young, males who want fast cars, and want everyone to know they have a fast car. "look at my car it has a huge wing and hood scoop and gold wheels and is faster then your old musclecars"

People who buy LGTs (I'm talking the tuner comunity not the soccer mom LGT owners) want a great powered car that can be driven to work everyday and look decent (I'm not a huge fan of the Legacy looks...too much like a Camry for me) without drawing the attention of everyone around them.

A good amount of people that will buy the LGTSTi are 1. people that want a sick sleeper (the WRX STi is anyything but a sleeper) and 2. people would be interested in high hp sedans that didnt look at the WRX STi because of it's appearence and race boy image. The LGTSTi owners I would imagine are people who were looking at 300Cs, Chargers, S4s, Powerhouse BMWs, Infinity G35s, Acuras and whatnot.

Of course you will have the people who trade in their WRX STi because they settled on it's looks because of their demand for the best performance, but there are a large amount of people that love the look of the current STi

·
Registered
900 Posts
Damn, that's nice. I have to read up on it. I think right now it will only be available in Japan.
[/b]
Isn't that about the same as our Spec-B? The Spec-B is becoming a main line model here this year instead of a limited run special. I'll tell you, I had an Outback for awhile a few years back and loved it. I think Subaru still gets overlooked big time when people are looking for a car and that is a shame!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Isn't that about the same as our Spec-B? The Spec-B is becoming a main line model here this year instead of a limited run special. I'll tell you, I had an Outback for awhile a few years back and loved it. I think Subaru still gets overlooked big time when people are looking for a car and that is a shame!
[/b]
It looks to be a Spec B with the STi engine (+50hp) (+35 jap version) and some STi enhancements (drivetrain, suspension, markings, etc) along with different front end and accents

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think Subaru still gets overlooked big time when people are looking for a car and that is a shame!
[/b]
I don't think they get overlooked I think it is about the $$$ and what you get for the money. I looked at the legacy gt while shopping for the 6 and for the money the 6 just had more to offer.

Not to mention Subaru for sure has a style all their own, which not everybody likes, the new front end for example is hideous.

I think subaru has relied on their AWD as the end all be all and they feel as though they can charge for it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts