Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really an electronics question, but thought this was the best place to post.

Building a custom sub enclosure into the side of the rear wheel well area of the trunk, and I want to cover it with a black cloth ,similar to the color of the carpetting. You used to be able to buy speaker cloth at Radio Shack, but not sure where to get it now. And being its for only a sub, does it really matter how acoustical transparent it really is ?? Could I get away with a normal cotton or polyester cloth ??

Thanks much !!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
YOu can get acoustical cloth on Internet for cheap. But ehy do you want to cover the subwoofer cone? Just cover the box with carpet to match the trunk carpet, and put a grille over the sub if u want extra protection or a more OEM look..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got heavy gauge screen mesh that I've sunk into front of the board to protect the cone, so I'm thinking of simply covering everything to blend it in - not really looking for show (too old for that stuff !!). I didn't even think of looking for a plastic grill to cover it - have to go to the local surplus stores and see what they've got.

Thanks for the input !!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
It wouldnt matter, bass isnt directional, youll still hear it if the cone is covered with glass...but to answer, yes you can cover it. Try www.partsexpress.com for box carpet.
what?? this is wrong man... It's not about if bass is directional or not.. For any speaker it's important to use transparent cloth speaker or something similar to don't distortion (notch some frequency) the sound. If you need protection just get a mesh grille or something similar. Also you can do a single reflex bandpass (4th order) so then your subwoofer is 100% protect (inside the box) and only a port is visible!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
One suggestion:

TEDDY BEAR STUFFING!

Getting the amount of space required for a sub right when building your own box is hard. Fixing it with poly-fil is easy :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts