Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen alot of strange mounting positions of the box, but lately I've been seeing alot of people turning the sub inside out, so the basket hangs out in the open and the sub fires into the box. Is this better? What is the best position for the sub and box in the 6?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: Sub Mounting

inverted mounting for the sub allows you two main advantages: Getting to look at a pretty basket, and having a slightly smaller box (since the basket isnt taking up room in the box).

As for the BEST mounting, that would be as close to the trunk OPENING, with the subs pointed out towards the opening. Not very practical though. Just have the subs pointed towards the opening, with the box against the back seats. It's the easiest.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

Yup thats how everyone i know had em, box against the back seat an subs pointed out towards trunk opening.

·
Registered
102 Posts

How does the sub box mounted against the back seat firing back compare to the bose mounting location in the rear deck?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

One of my friends has the push pull method set up where there is one sub mounted each way. I think this sounds the best but looks awkward.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Dragon, an isobaric setup like that is mainly used to save space. you're losing a bit of volume, but it'll still be louder than one sub.

Shettle, having a sub in the deck (free-air, infinite baffle, ect) is used when you want to take up NO space, and play loud with a limited amount of power. You'll get better bass extention and frequency response out of a smaller sub, but it's not as accurate as a sealed box, and the sound changes depending on how much you have packed in your trunk. Also, as your car ages and the seals around the trunk wear, so does your bass response. USUALLY freeair is used by OEM companies to save power & space, it's very hard to get a GOOD aftermarket setup like that, as you have to completely seal off the trunk from the rest of the car (no folding seats); seal the trunk lid completely, ect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Sub Mounting'

Just for argument's sake... :)

What about if you replaced the IB sub with a closed-box sub and slapped a box under the rear deck for it? It seems intuitive that if the sub is firing into the main cabin it will sound louder, although I'm sure it would be technically more dificult to mount a box under the rear deck.

By the way, does anyone know if this would void the warranty (i.e. cutting a hole in the rear deck, for those without the bose)?

·
Registered
657 Posts

If the dealer were going to be a bastard about it, cutting ANY sheetmetal in the car would void your structural warranty. Of course, if they did that and then you had to fix the headlights, they'd HAVE to fix it under warranty, because the headlights weren't affected by the mods you did. It's really hard to explain....

As for mounting the sub in a box on the deck, it's POSSIBLE, but you'd have to use a smaller sub, like 8", and a tiny box, so you're better off just going with a single 12", or dual 10s in a regular sealed box.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Automotive Entertainment opted for the rear deck method for the three subs in our show car, leaving room in the trunk for the amps, PS2 and cargo. It does produce very nice levels of bass at low-to-moderate volume, but I won't have the car long enough to know how much it might degrade over time as the trunk seals diminish in effectiveness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts