Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it only took two tries, the 1st box set up didnt fit in the trunk. it was to large. kinda depressing when u measure everything so many times...

but heres version 2. i realized with the last box i could get them in the trunk, but not facing forward, only sideways. so i adjusted my measurements, and made them skinnier, but longer, so i could keep my 3.5 sq feet per sub.

heres the box as it sits now.

obviousely i had to do it in two seperate box's just to fit it in the trunk. they will be joined together in the trunk as one.

i allready have the materials for covering them, im using a light gray for the top, sides, and back of the box. the front is getting a 1/2 inch trim plate that will be cut around the subs, has all 1/4 inch beveled edges, and is covered in black vinyl. so u will not be able to tell it was two seperate box's at all.

just with the empty box, and 100 SQ feet of fatmat in the trunk, the stock suspension in the rear has the tires level with the fender. and i still have 140 pounds of subs, 2 very heavy amps, two kinetik batteries, and a bit of 0/1 gauge to install. im definitly gonna need to do something about the suspension.

here the set up so far.
the full set up is two 1500 watt RMS, 2500 watt peak 15 inch ground zero nuk's.
2 MTX 8100D 1500 watt RMS @ at 2 ohm. modded for 1800 watt RMS @ 1 ohm
keeping the stock deack, but bought the jl audio cleansweep to handle the aditional wiring, and just to see how it works out.
the batteries are 2 kinetik 2400's. 1 located on each side in the fender well. there litterally is no better battery made.
all wiring is 0/1 gauge stinger.

thats just what is purchased so far, im still in the process of buying a few odds and ends to finish it up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
wow....i assume you dont plan on putting anything else in your trunk ever again? :nana:

nah looks good i could never picture 2 15's in the back of a 6 though. post up pics when your all done!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
INTERNAL BRACING!!!!

with heavier subs like the nuke's I'd probably double the face of the box (1.5"). and definately brace the inside of the box. btw, where did you find nukes? I'm assuming they're used since they went out of business years ago.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^

as i posted, there is a 1/2 inch sheet of mdf going on the face being wrapped in black vinyl. i figured that should hold it. the box itself is very structually sound, im hoping it should handle it fine, i did a small amount of bracing but not over board to effect sound reflection.

and yes indeed, these are used. i used to compete in DB drags quite often, and these are something ive been holding onto for a rainy day. these exact saubs in a 3.9 SQ feet box each tuned at 23 htz with two zapco AG1000 amps got me a 157.6 db in my tiburon. in all truth, this should hit right around there i hope. if not, no biggie. this set up is for fun, and not for compitition. i just want it loud, and low. i havent had a stereo in a few years, and its time to return to my first love.

i also still have another one of these amps (yes i have 3) that ill probably toss in my tiburon. hoping to find a nice 18 to run. we shall see about that though.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
sure hope you have more than the piddly 105amp alt in the 6 for power. kinetik's are great batteries but the comp truck i helped build with a 240amp alt and 4 kinetics still dropped voltage.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sure hope you have more than the piddly 105amp alt in the 6 for power. kinetik's are great batteries but the comp truck i helped build with a 240amp alt and 4 kinetics still dropped voltage.
[/b]
car is going into storage the second snow hits, then im pulling the alt and having a local alt rebuild shop do there thing. he said he could pull at least 150 amps out of it.

and the owners manual says its a 95 amp stocker.

Slow 6 what!?
[/b]
its a 2.3 manual 5 speed. its allready slow. if i wanted a fast car, i would have bought any number of other cars that are faster and cheaper..... but the 6 is clean, sexy, and looks like it costs quite a bit more then what it actually does. i own two other turbo mazdas to feed the need for speed, hell even my tiburon is faster then the 6.

·
Registered
328 Posts
why 2 15's though? why not just get 2 12's or even 3 of them and still have a little room left in the trunk for....groceries or something.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i allready had this set up from another car, and the 6 has a huge trunk, so it was a good fit. plus i dont need the trunk space for anything anyway. plus two 12's wouldnt even compare to what these 15's will do.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i allready had this set up from another car, and the 6 has a huge trunk, so it was a good fit. plus i dont need the trunk space for anything anyway. plus two 12's wouldnt even compare to what these 15's will do.
[/b]
that a challenge? my 2 12" custom built RE subs i had 3 years ago did a 152.6 with the new TL on the dash with a single mmats d300hc. ;) no huge # by any means but if i had fed them both of the d300hc's like i wanted to i would have been doing a 155-156.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Sweet... pics please? what dimensions did you use for the box? im thinking of putting 2 15's in...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts