Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
StreetUnit Differential Brace mazdaspeed 6

Just about cheap enough for me to afford now. But i was thinking about it. I have had ZERO issues with my rear diff. No bolts backing out, no clunking... nothing.

Wondering if it's even worth the ~200 puppies? (live in fl, must pay tax, booo)

Will this be enough? I doubt i'm modding my car anymore (at "stage 2") and i just want her to be happy and mostly reliable. Maybe thinking of launches, but not super clutch dumps from hell. I shouldn't need the front mount right?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Im just waiting for them to be back in stock and im ordering mines asap. I have a lot of clunking back there and its not kosher...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Reactions: Road Rage

·
Registered
5 Posts
ordered mine from SU about a month ago (18/04/10) - still on back order today...
And have been told it will be another 3 weeks (when I got an email from Sam @ SU on the 05/05/10)....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
have the SU ones been failing?
No it has not, to my knowledge. It's guaranteed to work great to 400awhp.
They're fine for most people like Smoker6 said. IIRC, jmhinkle tore through 2 SU rear diff mounts, before switching over to the CPE one, but yes, he's heavily modded. He would probably know about any other ones, but I have long forgot. I'm sure you'll be fine with the SU one for awhile, but I'd check with him. But Smoker6, getting $175 "refund" after snapping your rear axels is like getting a refund on a box of condoms after one breaks.... you might get your $5 back, but it's gonna cost a helluva lot more than that! lol

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Are you sure he snapped SU rear diff mounts and not TT diff mounts? I heard about the TT ones being insufficient, but I hadn't heard of either the SU or CPE mounts failing. If you could find a link that'd be sweet.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Are you sure he snapped SU rear diff mounts and not TT diff mounts? I heard about the TT ones being insufficient, but I hadn't heard of either the SU or CPE mounts failing. If you could find a link that'd be sweet.
It's probably in the 100 pages of broken diffs/axels threads, but I just PM'd Joel because he knows what I'm talking about and can clarify. I'm going off memory here from a long time ago, and he was the one helping me out then.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Im sure he was talking about snapping axles and not the mount. Also the only real problem with the SU mount was that the first gen or first batch didnt fit right, other than that, I have never read anyone breaking them...

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
I don't know of any snapped aftermarket pieces. When the TT piece was the only thing available people started breaking the rear mounts. You really need both pieces. I have installed 3 SU rear mounts and only 1 fit right. It was one of the original prototypes. I always recommend the cp-e rear mounts because of it. When people say they aren't having problems with the stock pieces, they are really saying 1 of 2 things: either they don't notice all the issues they are really having or they haven't found the gas pedal yet. I don't believe #2. Kind of like the leaking PTOs. They always leave out the word yet.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I don't know of any snapped aftermarket pieces. When the TT piece was the only thing available people started breaking the rear mounts. You really need both pieces. I have installed 3 SU rear mounts and only 1 fit right. It was one of the original prototypes. I always recommend the cp-e rear mounts because of it. When people say they aren't having problems with the stock pieces, they are really saying 1 of 2 things: either they don't notice all the issues they are really having or they haven't found the gas pedal yet. I don't believe #2. Kind of like the leaking PTOs. They always leave out the word yet.
Thanks for clearing that up Joel. It seems like 100 years ago when you recommended the CPE one over the SU one. I must have thought that since you went through a couple of them, that they failed. My mistake on that fellas... I've read a few thousand threads since then, lol. And Joel, you just reminded me to take a peek next week for the leaking PTO.

And LOL @ they haven't found the gas pedal yet! :lol:

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I knew it. :D

Yeah IMO as well you need both, and the TT front MM for good measure. haha Feels so solid. Mine fit snugly but without issue btw, which is good because I bought it specifically making sure that there would be no fitment issues. At the time though the CPE mount was still vaporware.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I plan on getting the TT rear diff front mount and the front engine mount down the road. I couldn't even swing the rear diff front mount $ wise, so I just picked up the CPE rear diff mount first as it's the most important. I will get to them eventually... if the $$ is ever there, when I'm ready to go BT, I'll take care of the missing mounts then :) I might sneak a DP in first though, lol. I hate buying mounts.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they are really saying 1 of 2 things: either they don't notice all the issues they are really having or they haven't found the gas pedal yet. I don't believe #2. Kind of like the leaking PTOs. They always leave out the word yet.
I havent launched the car but once.

Other than that the car is raced pretty regularly. Does that mean I haven't found the gas pedal?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I havent launched the car but once.

Other than that the car is raced pretty regularly. Does that mean I haven't found the gas pedal?
I think you found it once, lol. J/K! From what I've read, you don't even have to be launching the car to break the stocker mount. I never launched my car until I got the CPE diff mount, and I launched it 3x in a row without thinking about the diff, which was nice. Looking forward to more once my vacuum leak is straightened and I retune the car. I'm sure you'll be fine with either one, but definitely get one of them :).

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
If you are doing any driving that is mildly spirited, your diff is tweaking in the stock mounts and your drivers side axle is suffering. That's the facts. If you want to say that you don't have any problems with the diff or the axle, you are delaying the inevitable with blind ignorance. So either you are racing the car and ignoring the problems or you think that since it hasn't broken yet there isn't a problem.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Last fall I busted my drivers side axle on stock mounts while making a right hand turn to zip into rush hour traffic on a road and BAM. Diff bolts were fine, stock mounts weren't broken, just the axle. The diff was moving around like a sumbitch though and the BAM was the diff smacking something back there.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm just curious if this is great by itself or is the turbine tech front one necessary as well?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts