Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to pick up an unused SU mount off one of the classified adds and went through the install yesterday. Things went more or less smoothly for a jack-stand install. Here are the cliff notes:

Ratcheting swivel-head box ends - FTW!

Small inspection mirror - FTW! Necessary to line up the holes in the mount w/ the diff when re-installing.

BUS (Big ugly screwdriver) - FTW! Absolutely required for this install.

Bad mechanics tricks - FTW! Cheater bar, box end 'linking', BUS + box end are required for removing some of the fasteners you can't reach w/ an air tool.

Ratchet straps - FTW! Reused my "strapping" straps for 'tweaking' the diff into position when aligning bolt holes.

1/2" wobble impact extension bars - FTMFW!! These are great for removing / installing the two 17mm busing bolts

I did not remove the drive shaft. Dropped the front end of the exhaust (mid car hangers and front muffler hangers), the muffler flanges are NOT coming apart w/ anything short of a saws-all. Removed the rear bolt from the rear diff front mount and loosened the front bolt.

Driving impression is good. Torque response is snappier and more direct. Noticed no change in cabin noise or vibration.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Bad mechanics tricks - FTW! Cheater bar, box end 'linking', BUS + box end are required for removing some of the fasteners you can't reach w/ an air tool.
I only had this technique when I did mine. I only used standard tools and a crowbar. I didn't use air tools either. Air tools are for pussies... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,414 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL air tools FTW!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
there is no replacement for proper tools. i use hand tools more often than air tools but they have their place and i use them with a smile when i need them.

Reactions: wdautrem

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
I'm with Volta- don't need no stinkin air tools. They're for girls.....

I'd be willing to wager tho, of course, if I actually had air tools, that story would come out different.... :yesnod:

Reactions: AtTheDriveIn

·
Registered
295 Posts
air tools FTW! i gots lots of them but then again i do it for a living. you need air tools and cordless tools to make money. i look forward to getting the rear diff mount and installing it. see if its really as hard as a lot of people make it out to be

1 - 7 of 7 Posts