Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found at least two threads on this via search and I'm sure there are a handful of others somewhere, but after reading the most recent ones it appears that there is no real solution to this problem...here is one thread about it (or at least part of this thread)- http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...&hl=stutter

Has anyone found a solution for this yet? Or, what exactly causes this? I experience a stutter/rough acceleration pretty often now. Before it's asked, I've had nothing but 93 octane from three different gas stations (BP, Shell, Marathon). I'm pretty close to taking it to the dealer because it seems to be getting worse, moving from annoying to a real problem. I noticed it a handful of times before I went and had the reflash done, but it wasn't anywhere near the point it is now so I'm not sure if I should suspicion the reflash or something else. I drove the car for about four days without noticing it after the reflash.

I've tried to rule out variables like wind, gas brand, roads (there are a lot of uneven ones around here), and temperature and can say that I don't think any of them are a factor. I'm wondering if it could be an air/fuel ratio issue with the ECU?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've tried to rule out variables like wind, gas brand, roads (there are a lot of uneven ones around here), and temperature and can say that I don't think any of them are a factor. I'm wondering if it could be an air/fuel ratio issue with the ECU?
[/b]
Hm. Hard to imagine ARF giving "rough" acceleration. If it were running excessively rich (as in, more so than usual) it'd just be short on power, but not "rough" as you say.

If you really suspected ECU / PCM, the only way it could run "rough" that I can think of off hand would be through timing changes. Does the car feel like it's misfiring or bogged out badly? Is it jerky and bumpy or just sluggish?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm. Hard to imagine ARF giving "rough" acceleration. If it were running excessively rich (as in, more so than usual) it'd just be short on power, but not "rough" as you say.

If you really suspected ECU / PCM, the only way it could run "rough" that I can think of off hand would be through timing changes. Does the car feel like it's misfiring or bogged out badly? Is it jerky and bumpy or just sluggish?
[/b]
Somewhat feels like it's misfiring, but I've been in cars that have misfires and they don't feel like this. Jerky and bumpy, but still has power. It's random too, which is strange. Sometimes it's nice and smooth through all six, other times it's rough...especially in 3 and 4 for some reason. I've noticed it a lot more in the lower RPM range (2500-4000ish).

This could be completely unrelated, and it's probably just my imagination, but in the center of the dash there sometimes seems to be a light that flickers for a tenth of a second during acceleration. Unfortunately I've never been able to confirm this, but I could've sworn I saw it flicker once or twice the other night while experiencing this issue. Is it possible the CEL is flickering randomly?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Somewhat feels like it's misfiring, but I've been in cars that have misfires and they don't feel like this. Jerky and bumpy, but still has power. It's random too, which is strange. Sometimes it's nice and smooth through all six, other times it's rough...especially in 3 and 4 for some reason. I've noticed it a lot more in the lower RPM range (2500-4000ish).

This could be completely unrelated, and it's probably just my imagination, but in the center of the dash there sometimes seems to be a light that flickers for a tenth of a second during acceleration. Unfortunately I've never been able to confirm this, but I could've sworn I saw it flicker once or twice the other night while experiencing this issue. Is it possible the CEL is flickering randomly?
[/b]
Probably traction control, possibly 4WD light?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have you had the reflash yet? - that seems to "smooth" things out a bit.... (appeas to adjsut the timing, among other things...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have noticed this same exact thing. It's really noticable with the CP-E catback. I get pops and jerks while in WOT. Happens in 2-3 and more in 3-4. After that I'm moving too fast and back off. I've got 1100 miles and the latest flash as of 3 weeks ago.
[/b]
Its funny, I felt the same thing tonight for the first time. I was pulling from a red light and switched to second and rolled on the throttle and i have cai so i can hear my turbo, i hear the turbo kick in and then its just coughed at about 3500rpm. It was like power, alll of a sudden, no power and then it kicked back in. It never does it wot, just when rolling on the gas fairly hard. Its strange, Its just like a 2-stroke dirtbike thats jetted too rich. I wonder if thats the problem, i know i have a lot of black stuff on my tips after about a day of driving.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably traction control, possibly 4WD light?
[/b]
Is it possible that it might flicker if there is a problem? I'll pay more attention to the lights when I start it up to get a good idea of which one it might be if it actually does flicker when I am experiencing this issue. It's very short if it does happen, and the few times I've thought I might have seen it it's been under heavy throttle. However, the stuttering/rough acceleration happen at various levels.

Have you had the reflash yet? - that seems to "smooth" things out a bit.... (appeas to adjsut the timing, among other things...
[/b]

Yeah, I've had the reflash for just under a month. I noticed a stutter before the reflash, but it was nothing like this is now.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
These cars have too many issues...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a similar problem with my old civic. It turned out to be a sparkplug wire that had a leak in the boot. Every now and then it would ground out against the cylinder head, instead of firing into the combustion chamber. It didnt feel like your typical misfire. The car would still pull, just it would be jerky and the higher it reved the more it would jerk.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, before someone comes along and points it out, I've made another post about a seatbelt buckle issue which causes the seatbelt light to come on even when the seatbelt is secure. Yes, it's possible that this could be the cause of the flickering light, but whatever I might be seeing seems to be in the center of the dash. I could just drive without my seatbelt and see if I observe another flicker, but because the few times I've thought I have seen something have been under WOT I'm thinking this may not be my brightest idea ever.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Sometimes the DSC will intervene if sensing something is breaking loose. I am not saying the problem mentioned here if at all is due to this, but bear in mind this is the possiblity. If someone can confirm when this issue happens when the DSC is off, then we can confidently wipe it off the possibility here.

·
Registered
721 Posts
i've experienced occasional hesitation on WOT runs in second or third gear near 4.5K-5.5K rpm. no clue on what is causing it though. BTW DSC was off in these cases.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was reflashed in early August, and this problem has been getting worse for me lately as well. It seems as if I press the gas pedal down just a little, the car takes off. If I floor it, it bogs, hesitates, and stutters, almost like the car is mostly slow with split-second periods of strong pull. Almost seems like the engine is flooding or something. It's very frustrating to not have the car give 100% when I get on it. Perhaps a CAI would smoothe things out and add some power/consistency if the airflow is improved?

Anyway, I spoke to the dealer last week and I'm bringing it in on Tuesday to have it checked to make sure I have the latest version of the reflash. I'm also going to ask them their policy on aftermarket mods, the CPE CAI is calling out to me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've not had any "stuttering", got close to 3,000 miles now.

Is this occuring under full power on rough road surfaces?

You may be feeling the AWD/DSC kicking in and a bit of wheel skip due to the 18" tires on rough surfaces.

My 2001 Camaro SS did this. Under hard acceleration on rough pavement you could feel a "skipping" as the drive wheels micro hopped for traction.

I was reflashed in early August, and this problem has been getting worse for me lately as well. It seems as if I press the gas pedal down just a little, the car takes off. If I floor it, it bogs, hesitates, and stutters, almost like the car is mostly slow with split-second periods of strong pull. Almost seems like the engine is flooding or something. It's very frustrating to not have the car give 100% when I get on it. Perhaps a CAI would smoothe things out and add some power/consistency if the airflow is improved?

[/b]
Sound like injector or spark problems to me.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've written on this before. It hasn't actually bogged since the morning after the reflash (before it did it almost every 300 mi or so, where the power would disappear and the engine would sound rough for a second or so under fairly hard acceleration). But it still doesn't accelerate smoothly in many cases. If I start from a stop and accelerate hard, no problem. If I'm in a gear where the car's doing anything from 2500-3500 rpm and step on it, power comes on notchy although it still pulls well. Since there're no codes it can't be an actual misfire, so I'm thinking the car is pulling timing for some reason in short bursts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My car was in the shop for four days for this. The result? Misfires detected. The outcome? Nothing. It was put on file. Oh and it was RE-reflashed. Still getting it every now and then. Definately not as often though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My car was in the shop for four days for this. The result? Misfires detected. The outcome? Nothing. It was put on file. Oh and it was RE-reflashed. Still getting it every now and then. Definately not as often though.
[/b]
Sounds like fouled spark plugs to me. Given the fact this car runs lean and has extended life spark plugs this is not a good combo. A set of regular non extended life plugs would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It could possibly be plugs. But our cars run lean?? The black crap that builds up on my exhaust is cleaned off about every other day. I'll get a video of this at some point. With the CP-E cat-back I get a very distinct "Ba Pop" sound while under hard acceleration-WOT. It doesn't last any longer than .2 seconds or so, but it's enough to feel the car jerk. This happens with DSC OFF.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: Today the CEL is on. It doesn't seem to be driving any different than the two weeks or so that I've been noticing this problem.

Gee, can't wait to call and schedule with the dealership to have it looked at. At least I get to rack up some more mileage on a rental (it was kept by the dealership overnight for the reflash because they didn't have enough techs) instead of my MS6.

[/b]
Hope I don't get the same "solution" (if that's what you can call it?). Was your CEL on when you checked it in?

They'll probably order a roll of electrical tape for mine to cover up the CEL...

1 - 20 of 89 Posts