Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has one tried it or a small amount in the MS6? 105 octane could be fun. I used to use E85 in my 2005 Explorer and it really helped the butt dyno...of course it was a FFV.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would only use it if the car is certified to run it.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT, run E85 in the MS6, or any other car that's not equipped as a "flex-fuel" vehicle. Not only will you screw up your engine, but you'll void the warranty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT, run E85 in the MS6, or any other car that's not equipped as a "flex-fuel" vehicle. Not only will you screw up your engine, but you'll void the warranty.
[/b]
I agree with not running 100% E85 but you should be fine running no more than 1/3 of a tank of it mixed with Premium Fuel. FYI, E85 is perfectly suited for FI cars being that you get a higher octane plus the fact that the exhaust temps are lower. The only problem you will see is a decrease in fuel economy and it you use too much in the tank you can lean out the F/A mix due to the car needing more fuel to do the same job as a regular gasoline.

Feel free to read up on this...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread...p;highlight=E85

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree with not running 100% E85 but you should be fine running no more than 1/3 of a tank of it mixed with Premium Fuel. FYI, E85 is perfectly suited for FI cars being that you get a higher octane plus the fact that the exhaust temps are lower. The only problem you will see is a decrease in fuel economy and it you use too much in the tank you can lean out the F/A mix due to the car needing more fuel to do the same job as a regular gasoline.

Feel free to read up on this...
[/b]
If you read your owners manual, its specifiacly says not to use and ethanol blended fuel with more than 10% ethanol.

It will damage and dry out the fuel pump, and lines. I would not use it. I run my car strictly on 94 octane fuel that is ethanol blend, but it is less than 10% according to the gas station. Its the only option above 91 around here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has one tried it or a small amount in the MS6? 105 octane could be fun. I used to use E85 in my 2005 Explorer and it really helped the butt dyno...of course it was a FFV.
[/b]

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but ethanol has a lower energy density than gasoline. Even with the higher octane rating you'll see less power and worse fuel mileage while running E85. Also, alcohol based fuels are more corrosive than gasoline so accelerated fuel system wear should be expected when used in a non-FFV.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but ethanol has a lower energy density than gasoline. Even with the higher octane rating you'll see less power and worse fuel mileage while running E85.
[/b]
I think you a little off here you will see MORE power at the cost of gas milage due to more fuel having to be used becuase of the lower energy density.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think you a little off here you will see MORE power at the cost of gas milage due to more fuel having to be used becuase of the lower energy density.
[/b]

I think MLuddyJr is right.

The energy density is based on the reaction between the fuel and oxygen. To compare apples to apples, both fuels need to be burned at stoichiometric ratios for a proper calorimetric rating. So, despite the ethanol running at a (comparatively) rich mixture, it's still stoich in both cases.

I think you're thinking because you have to run a richer mixture with ethanol, there's more ethanol in the chamber compared to how much gasoline there'd be. But, I think the extra power isn't from having more ethanol due to the richer mixture, but rather because as others have said, it burns faster, which allows for more ignition timing comapred to gasoline.

So, at the same ignition timing, gasoline will always produce more power than ethanol because of the higher energy content.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think MLuddyJr is right.

The energy density is based on the reaction between the fuel and oxygen. To compare apples to apples, both fuels need to be burned at stoichiometric ratios for a proper calorimetric rating. So, despite the ethanol running at a (comparatively) rich mixture, it's still stoich in both cases.

I think you're thinking because you have to run a richer mixture with ethanol, there's more ethanol in the chamber compared to how much gasoline there'd be. But, I think the extra power isn't from having more ethanol due to the richer mixture, but rather because as others have said, it burns faster, which allows for more ignition timing comapred to gasoline.

So, at the same ignition timing, gasoline will always produce more power than ethanol because of the higher energy content.
[/b]
Please read.

&

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/range.php

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I've read that stuff before.

The first link doesn't work, and I wouldn't consider a messageboard a reputable source of information anyway.

In the second link, all it says is that ethanol has a higher octane rating compared to gas, but has a lower energy content. How does this support your argument in any way, shape, or form?
[/b]
Normally I wouldn't, but this individual has been running it in his car for over 4 years. Here is the updated link for you to read up on.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

Also, it does support my argument that you will see a higher HP as stated in the second link that Ford has seen a 5% increase in HP on their testing.

Now I will step back because arguing on the message boards pointless and no one will give. All in all you I would say that it is safe to run E85, but would not do it in concentrations higher than 30%, but to each their own.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can't believe I have to do this, but:

Your point

...you will see MORE power at the cost of gas milage due to more fuel having to be used becuase of the lower energy density.
[/b]

My point

I think the extra power isn't from having more ethanol due to the richer mixture, but rather because as others have said, it burns faster, which allows for more ignition timing comapred to gasoline.
[/b]

Now you reiterate your point again:

...it does support my argument that you will see a higher HP as stated in the second link that Ford has seen a 5% increase in HP on their testing.
[/b]

I'm not disagreeing that ethanol can make more power than gasoline, I'm saying that you're reasoning for why this happens is wrong. Also, I never mentioned anything about safe concentrations, so, I'm not sure why you're bringing that one up with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts