Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so some of you know that I work for a cable company. As such, we really have no requirements to order our service... any IDIOT can get our service and with close to a million subscribers... we have many idiots. :(

Anyway, one of my agents just told me that a customer called us to ask: "I just turned to HBO and caught the tail end of a movie. What do I need to do to watch the rest of it?"

WTF? Are you kidding me? Let's see... what do you do if you miss ANY show on ANY network??? WAIT FOR IT TO AIR AGAIN!!! :swearin:

Why call to ask a question like that? Damn stupid people! I guess we can think of it as "job security," right? lol

We get some crazy people, no joke. I'll share more stories if I can think of them or as I get them... sometimes its fun to have 3/4 of a million customers in our market... lol

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'm a recovering salesman. i would have took these lemons and made lemonade. i would have broke out DVR & on-demand, and not stopped until the smuck signed up for both. then i would have decided how to spend my commission check.

in sales, stupid people = $

·
Registered
567 Posts
Stupid people don't always equal money. They often don't see a good thing when they should and you end up wasting your time.

Oh I could go on to no end about the absolute DUMBASSES that come into my store. I work at a Pep Boys here in GA, and DAMN we get some award winners every day. We have an automated phone system at the store, gives them the little greeting "welcome to Pep Boys Auto....for Rerpair and Maintenance press "1", for Tires press "2", for parts and accerssories press "3". I spend a lot of time at the parts counter. Half the calls I pick up either say a) can you transfer me to service please? or b) I'd like to get a price on some tires. WTF???? How do you miss the FIRST TWO OPTIONS and select mine??? I sometimes want to say "nope, try again" and hang up.

That and I LOVE how when I pick up and say "thank you for calling Pep Boys, this is Will, how can I help you?" they ask "Is this Pep Boys?" They heard the computer greeting, and MY greeting. How thick can you be?

That's just a small sampling, I can go all day about some of the idiots I deal with many times a day. They would make you shudder to think that many of them are working on cars that are currently driving on the road.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey I work in a restaurant so I know how you feel. You would not believe how dumb some people are. Sometimes I ask myself how these people have made it this far in life. I mean if you can't order a meal without it being a major ordeal, how do you pay your taxes? Or have a budget? Or balance your check book? If I was allowed to slap every stupid person that came into my store, my hand would be bloody by the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
What is really amazing is it seems like just about EVERYONE has worked in some job, somewhere, at some time where they HAD to deal with the public on a regular basis. Fast food, grocery, restaurant, retail of many kinds, even paperboy!

And it's a fair bet that during it all they probably had the same complaints about stupid customers that are being posted here.

And yet they have no idea they are now in that same category!

People really are stupid. Even moreso than anyone realizes!

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Oh I get em too. Like the people that say, my gutters don't look good....why didn't you paint them? uuumm, because we weren't contracted to do those remember? ...oh yea . lol

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm a recovering salesman. i would have took these lemons and made lemonade. i would have broke out DVR & on-demand, and not stopped until the smuck signed up for both. then i would have decided how to spend my commission check.

in sales, stupid people = $
[/b]
Haha, they already had a DVR and On Demand... Plus they had our Platinum package which is the highest we have... we educated them on the proper use of our service... lol

People that know nothing just tend to jump to conclusions and aim their blame towards things they do know. Here is an example:
We often get calls from people that see spray paint on the ground near their home. They see the paint and somehow assume that the cable company is going to tear up their yard. About 80% - 90% of the time we have nothing to do with it more than we are required to mark our underground lines. People will call us to say "I see these spray paint lines on my yard/sidewalk, who is planning on doing construction by my house?"
I understand calling around, but these people don't do that... they just call us and expect us to know who is doing the work. Why call the cable company to find out who is doing construction in your neighborhood? lol.

Oh yeah, FYI for those that do not know: Cable companies have very little to do with the programming on all channels. The programming is setup by the networks. If you dont like a show or think they show too many reruns/replays... let the network know. If you don't have their phone number, feel free to contact the cable company for it. I'm sure they would be happy to help you find the number! :p

Another thing: If the TV Guide says a program will be on and you turn to the channel and your program isn't there... the cable company has NOTHING to do with that either, lol. The networks notify TV Guide and other listing companies a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the air date. They require this much time to program their systems, print the guides, etc. If the network makes a change after the 2 week deadline, chances are the guide will not reflect it. This also applies to the on screen guide that comes with most digital cable boxes... these guides are provided by 3rd party companies like TV Guide, not the cable company.

Anyway, that does it for me right now. I am working and I just get even further angered if I think about it too much, haha. If you guys have any questions about cable companies feel free to ask. I have been in the industry for over 6 years so I have a pretty solid knowledge base. Just don't ask me to explain your bill!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hehehe. I can completely relate with you guys! I work for OfficeMax and work back in the CopyMax department... CopyMax...that's our name... People call all the time and ask if we make copies...just once I want to answer no!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wish the national identity card would have like a stupidity counter on it. Then when they call in with a stupid question you can input into a national tracking website and deduct/add points to them.
While we are at it, they should be forced to pay more for goods and services for losing or having too many stupid points.
Imagine how expensive it would be to be Jessica Simpson.

Maybe then people would actually try to stay in school and quit wasting societies time.

:angry:

DEE DEE DEE

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The best story is a friend of mine that used to work at Mickey D's.

He would always get some dumbass blonde at the drive-thru asking if she could buy a Cheeseburger without cheese. Or they would be at the drive-thru ordering, and asking if they could get the food to go.

It's just unbelievable.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The best story is a friend of mine that used to work at Mickey D's.

He would always get some dumbass blonde at the drive-thru asking if she could buy a Cheeseburger without cheese. Or they would be at the drive-thru ordering, and asking if they could get the food to go.

It's just unbelievable.
[/b]

Same thing with Sonic. I also work at a call center for At&t/SBC and some of those customers give me a headache :laugh: And I hate when they asked, can you turn on my DSL service or can you see what I am doing on my screen? But being in tech support can be funny sometimes too :laugh:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I work for Sherwin-Williams (huge paint company if you didnt know) and I can easily say I get some of the most off the wall questions ever asked. People ask what color is in certain magazines because they wanna paint their house with it, as if I'm supposed to know the name of every color in the world. Many people also get mad when I don't know what color they should paint their living room. I know what kind of paint you should use and I can easily make it for you, however I am NOT an interior decorator.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish the national identity card would have like a stupidity counter on it. Then when they call in with a stupid question you can input into a national tracking website and deduct/add points to them.
While we are at it, they should be forced to pay more for goods and services for losing or having too many stupid points.
Imagine how expensive it would be to be Jessica Simpson.

Maybe then people would actually try to stay in school and quit wasting societies time.

:angry:

DEE DEE DEE
[/b]
Hahaha, thats a great idea! kind of like the points system with your license when you get a ticket. I volunteer to become part of the stupid police. I WILL write tickets!!

I work for Sherwin-Williams (huge paint company if you didnt know) and I can easily say I get some of the most off the wall questions ever asked. People ask what color is in certain magazines because they wanna paint their house with it, as if I'm supposed to know the name of every color in the world. Many people also get mad when I don't know what color they should paint their living room. I know what kind of paint you should use and I can easily make it for you, however I am NOT an interior decorator.
[/b]
oh man, that sounds like some of what we get here... lol.

We just had a customer call and complaint to us that we were not patriotic. My rep asked why and the customer stated that "WE" were showing bug movies on the Sci-Fi channel on Memorial Day. WTF??? Again... cable companies do NOT control programming on the stations they carry. The rep attempted to explain this to her and she proceeded to curse at the rep and hung up. Stupid people really need to fall off a bridge or something.

LOL @ Cheeseburger without Cheese... hahaha (hopefully they charged her for the more expensive cheeseburger but gave her a hamburger)

Same thing with Sonic. I also work at a call center for At&t/SBC and some of those customers give me a headache :laugh: And I hate when they asked, can you turn on my DSL service or can you see what I am doing on my screen? But being in tech support can be funny sometimes too :laugh:
[/b]
Do you ever get the "Can't you just flip a switch or something and turn my service on" question? Oh man, that one amazes me. Like I have this huge fuggin switch on my desk that controls cable service for the Portland Area or something. People don't understand that when you call to start new service or restart a service that is disconnected it is physically disconnected meaning that no switch in the world will restart it. If you have a digital box and your service is connected the box itself can be disabled, but thats a whole other story... lol

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
[/b]
lol totally! And there is my favorite by the college painters..."I got paint on the shingles and walkway of this house I'm doin...can I get it off with Oops?" lmao.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
"I want to cancel my order because I read that it is not an original part but a replica."

Meanwhile, the title and description say "replica" and the price is roughly 65% less than the original. I wish I was oblivious to the world sometimes.

"Can you guarantee I will not be charged duty/brokerage fees?"

This one is for some of you (although very few from this board, much more from others) from Canada. Brokerage fees are charged by the shipper (some charge more, some charge less, some don't charge) and duty is charged by the government. If I had the power to guarantee that you would not pay taxes, I'd probably be one of the most powerful people in the universe.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Long story short - we setup a server that was supposed to dial-out alarms to a pager. We told the client NUMEROUS times to order and install a UPS power backup.

To paraphrase the conversation I had with one of them a few weeks later:

Them - "The power went off, and we didn't get an alarm page".

Me - "Yeah. Because the power was off at the server"

Them - "Well, I don't understand why it didn't dial out the alarm page"

Me - "Because the power was out"

We went around in circles for about 5 mins before they finally got it.

Stupid people in high-paying, executive positions - some things I will never understand...

·
Registered
467 Posts
My cable company gives me extended cable for free - I just order stripped-down basic cable. Saves about $30 a month! They're too lazy to put on the filter or whatever they need to block out the channels. Analog rules!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
19 Participants
mr.stephens
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing