Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my oil changed last week, and there was NOTHING on the stick... so - I replaced my PCV Valve - it was due anyways since I have 97k miles (replaced it once before around 50k previously)
Ever since the oil change, I get this smell of 'burnt oil' so I went back to the Jiffy Lube and they checked everything out... no leaks, and the oil level hadn't changed in 300 miles (good thing!) - but still smelled a bit, usually at a stoplight...

so I figured, maybe I got some oil on the back of the motor when I swapped out the PCV valve, so when I got home I grabbed the hose and washed down the motor - wasn't cool, so it was steamy, etc... but did it before

I usually run the motor after I do this to boil off any excess water and take it for a drive... but STUPID me left it sit, and I didnt' drive for 2 days...

monday morning - i go to start the car and BANG BOOM WTF sounds going on... the CE light started flashing so I immediately shut down the car
I restarted the car, CE light it still on - but not flashing - been driving it (haven't checked the code yet) - today the exhaust smells pretty sulphuric :(

thoughts? cat failure? misfire due to water in the engine-bay?

argh! :swearin:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My guess is you got water intrusion into one of the coilpacks, causing a misfire and raw fuel in your exaust. Had 2 coilpacks replaced on my MS6 because of this.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (BlackCherry06 @ Feb 10 2010, 11:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636022
My guess is you got water intrusion into one of the coilpacks, causing a misfire and raw fuel in your exaust. Had 2 coilpacks replaced on my MS6 because of this.[/b]
that's my thoughts, the car has been misfiring (even before my dumb incident) so I have new plugs to swap out anyways

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok - well, I pulled the - NEG terminal and let the computer reset... unfortunately in CA, you can't go get a free code pull - you actually have to have a programmer, or pay a garage to do it... (stupid law if you ask me)

when I reconnected the battery, the idle was hunting all over the place... so I pulled the MAF and cleaned it really good
CEL is gone (for now) and idle is smooth!

still need to get my MAFci re-installed - I'm just too lazy to crawl under the dash again to do it!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so far so good, maybe really dirty MAF ?

still smelling some oil burn at idle, what should I check? the PCV tube is clamped, so not 'breathing' from there... any other leak spots?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Did the oil change guys miss the fill hole and spill some oil onto the front head? Or they were probably sloppy on the filter change and splashed oil on the front exhaust header.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (mariusvt @ Feb 21 2010, 06:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638562
Did the oil change guys miss the fill hole and spill some oil onto the front head? Or they were probably sloppy on the filter change and splashed oil on the front exhaust header.[/b]

no - they're usually pretty good, been going to the same place for a couple of years now - they remember my car, and always take good care... they even spray off any spillage if it does happen, but everything is tight and no leaks

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
smelling sulphur today... no CEL yet (100 miles since reset)

could it be O2 sensors? i have 97k miles...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Did you recently get gas from a station you dont usually go to? I feel like Ive read people having a sulphur smell with certain gas in their car. It could definitely be o2 sensors or your car needing a tuneup if one hasnt been done anytime recently. Worst case is it's one of your cats getting clogged.

·
Registered
319 Posts
1st problem- jiffy lube
2nd- water on the not cooled engine AND THEN letting it sit. wtf?

i bet jiffy lube put the wrong oil in your car, prolly didnt change your oil filter AND spilt oil all over the place.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you recently get gas from a station you dont usually go to? I feel like Ive read people having a sulphur smell with certain gas in their car. It could definitely be o2 sensors or your car needing a tuneup if one hasnt been done anytime recently. Worst case is it's one of your cats getting clogged.
been running Chevron 91 for a while now, I'm praying it's an O2 sensor or the issue that my MAFCi isn't connected and the computer is overcompensating for lean air intake and dumping fuel.... my mileage is down about 1.5 mpg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1st problem- jiffy lube
2nd- water on the not cooled engine AND THEN letting it sit. wtf?

i bet jiffy lube put the wrong oil in your car, prolly didnt change your oil filter AND spilt oil all over the place.

usually I'd agree, but this shop actually does the work - I shoot the bull with them while they work, I see them change everything - so it's done right...

#2 i agree - I was a dolt to do that :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts