Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for about a month since I bought my MS6, and finally had something to add...

I'm driving to work this morning, 22 degrees outside here in Baltimore, and I kick down from 6th to 4th and go WOT to pass a guy (braking for a green light). Pushing the pedal down I feel something weird about it at the very end. A second later, I get out of the gas, except the pedal is stuck, at full throttle. Rapidly gaining speed, I kick the car into neutral, and turn the engine off (moving in traffic). For less than a second I was smashing the rev limiter, which sounds pretty good with the resonator 'delete' :).

For whatever reason the pedal bounced back at that point, restarted, and continued on my way.

I've experienced stuck throttles with good old cable systems before, no less scary might I add. Best I can figure I must have pushed the pedal down into just the right depression in the rubber Mazda All-weather mat, so that it caught the pedal. Anyone else experience this? Glad my first post makes me look like one of those brilliant Audi 5000 drivers of the 80's. "I was braking! The car went nuts!"

I'll be cutting a notch into the rubber mat for the gas pedal later today.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have the same mats and it never happened to me. I'll have to keep an eye out for it though. Good job putting it in neutral though. Sometimes that's not the first inclination. A benefit of having a manual tranny.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It happened to my friend before in his civic. Let's say we had a little spirited driving and all the sudden I heard him rev-ing the heck of it without moving much. Later I found out that his gas pedal was stuck in the floor mat and he stepped on the clutch and brake and tried to pull the pedal back.

I would expect the Mazda mat to fit perfectly. Have you checked the fitting? It would be a defect for a made to fit product to cause a problem like that. I use aftermarket floor mat and I always test the pedals by pushing them all the way in and see if they got stuck, then trim or move the mat if necessary.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It is going to happen with those members that have "racing pedals" and the all weather mats. The mats are thicker and it becomes easy for the gas pedal to wedge itself in the gap. It does not happen with the stock rubber pedals in the regular 6's.

I have the Autovation Pedals in my wagon and had this happen several months ago! That is why when you compete in Auto-X and track events, you remove your mats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts