Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 6 Sportswagon. Everytime the ambient temperature approaches 100F, it gets stuck in park. The engine starts and runs fine, but the gearshift lever will not come out of park. Once the ambient temp drops to maybe below 90F, everything is back to normal.

It happened several times during summer 06, but not at all in 07, cuz we just didn't have that kind of weather last summer.

Happened again today. :swearin:

Been to the dealer several times (Hamilton Mazda, Hamilton NJ), but, of course, they cannot diagnose the problem cuz they can't replicate it! :irate:

Also, when it happens it is usually in a parking lot where my wife works, and the tow truck companies will not tow it, cuz they don't want to drag it in park. I thought most cars had a unlock mechanism somewhere for just this reason, but I am told the Mazda's do not have this feature?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Marty

·
Registered
429 Posts
QUOTE (2old4this @ Jun 10 2008, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1366431
I have a 04 6 Sportswagon. Everytime the ambient temperature approaches 100F, it gets stuck in park. The engine starts and runs fine, but the gearshift lever will not come out of park. Once the ambient temp drops to maybe below 90F, everything is back to normal.

It happened several times during summer 06, but not at all in 07, cuz we just didn't have that kind of weather last summer.

Been to the dealer several times (Hamilton Mazda, Hamilton NJ), but, of course, they cannot diagnose the problem cuz they can't replicate it! :irate:

Also, when it happens it is usually in a parking lot where my wife works, and the tow truck companies will not tow it, cuz they don't want to drag it in park. I thought most cars had a unlock mechanism somewhere for just this reason, but I am told the Mazda's do not have this feature?

Marty[/b]
This may sound completely random, but try reseating fuses. Here's why I say this. Our Mazda van got stuck in Park once and it was because the fuse for the dash instruments had blown. It apparently also controlled the mechanism which released the shifter from Park. Now, yours seems to fix itself with temperature, which makes me think of how sometimes computer cards can pop due to excess heat. So, basically I'm wondering if the heat is popping a fuse and it reseats in cooler temps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (2old4this @ Jun 10 2008, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1366431

Marty[/b]
Wow that's uncanny, I had the same problem yesterday. The tranny as a whole does not feel the same with these hot temps, even with a tranny cooler, auxillary in-line tranny filter, and the adjustable fan controller. It downshfts harder into 3rd gear as well lately. I think the tranny is just crappy, because I already had mine rebuilt earlier this year,and am concerned it may go again sooner than later. I baby it now, and don't drive it with any zeal anymore. :70:

"Drive it like you <strike> stole it! </strike> are the one responsible for paying the new Mazda tranny bill...."

·
Registered
340 Posts
Their must be something with this car because I have an 03 s and i just had this problem for the first time last week. I just kept trying and it eventually went into gear. (and i thought it was just my car that was f'd up)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also have this problem. Like the OP said it only happens when the AMB
temp. is around 100 degrees. Most of the time I can get it in gear by moving
the shift to the right then stepping on the brake and finally moving it in gear.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
May also help to pump the brake a few times to help the switch make contact or perhaps it could be the release solenoid inside the console. I seem to remember mine clicking when I step on the brake to come out of Park.... Does yours do this? :headscrat:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeah this happens to me a lot when its really hot. I've found that pulling the parking brake helps and stress is put on that instead of the transmission. It still happens, but not nearly as much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
QUOTE (2old4this @ Jun 10 2008, 07:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1366431

Marty[/b]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and it happens to me a LOT. I was trying to get the durn thing out of park for TWO AND HALF HOURS Thursday. And yeah, we took it in last summer at least three times, and they could never reproduce it.

I eventually ended up just yanking as hard as I could on it, risking breaking the stick off. At least then, they'd have something they could fix!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
This just happened to me today, ambient temp was at 106... This is first time ever happend though... This common problem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah this is first time ever happened for me, had the car since new (2004). I got new e-brake cable just about 6-7 months ago cuz the old one snapped. The e-brake in this car is not that tight feeling in this car.

Well it hasn't done that since couple days ago so I guess isolated occurrence.. I drove the car a couple hours later and it was fine. I can shift thru fine in ACC mode. I'm thinking it the sensor or whatever that gets tripped when you tap the brake to shift gears:confused: I'll hope for the best haha.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dead thread reborn... Had this happen a few times over the last couple of months. I agree that it's heat related, cuz I only have issues when the car is closed up out in the sun and really f'ing hot out... Happened to me this afternoon, and it’s close to 95 today... so after I got back from doing what I had to do I looked up a thread for this issue and BOOM here we go...

Find a tread that talks about how to access that area (AUX Mod if I remember correctly), it’s really simple. Spin off the shifter knob; pull up with two hands on the cup holder assy. and pop that off. You’ll have to pop the plastic fasteners loose from the shifter panel, Then lift the panel with the shifter positions up and back just a bit, disconnect the two lights that light up the shifter position indicator (rear side of the panel, 1/4 turn then pull) and the light for the ashtray (front side of the panel, pops straight out) and the lighter (regular connector)…

I did some investigating I have found that it seems there is a mechanical linkage to the brake pedal. I screwed around with this said cable and disconnected it from the linkage right at the shifter assy. in the center console area. It’s a black plastic linkage connection on the cable / rod end, it just pops off the white plastic linkage assy. I also adjusted the rod end a few threads to see if it does anything in the next few… When it was disconnected, the shifter moved freely out of park without the brake pedal depressed…

So the moral of the story is, that if you need to get somewhere and don’t have two and a half hours to f with it, take ten minutes and disconnect it and be on your way. Meanwhile, I will try to find why it doesn’t work sometimes when it’s hot out. I also cleaned up my whole center console while I had it apart…she looks so clean…

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hot days

I have a 2004 Mazda6s, and have lived in Phoenix AZ for the past three years where we have sweltering summers. I just spent 20 minutes after work trying to get my car out of park after it was sitting in the parking lot all day. I have had a consistent problem with this for the past 3 summers here which has been very frustrating. If I park under the carport canopy, good shade, or go out to lunch, I don't have a problem at the end of the day. If I let it sit all day in direct sun, the shifter does not come out of park without 300 attempts and a lot of swearing. I also had "shift shock" problems with the car initially that have actually improved. This is my first Mazda, and I won't be buying one again. Too bad because I love their styling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dead thread reborn... Had this happen a few times over the last couple of months. I agree that it's heat related, cuz I only have issues when the car is closed up out in the sun and really f'ing hot out... Happened to me this afternoon, and it’s close to 95 today... so after I got back from doing what I had to do I looked up a thread for this issue and BOOM here we go...

Find a tread that talks about how to access that area (AUX Mod if I remember correctly), it’s really simple. Spin off the shifter knob; pull up with two hands on the cup holder assy. and pop that off. You’ll have to pop the plastic fasteners loose from the shifter panel, Then lift the panel with the shifter positions up and back just a bit, disconnect the two lights that light up the shifter position indicator (rear side of the panel, 1/4 turn then pull) and the light for the ashtray (front side of the panel, pops straight out) and the lighter (regular connector)…

I did some investigating I have found that it seems there is a mechanical linkage to the brake pedal. I screwed around with this said cable and disconnected it from the linkage right at the shifter assy. in the center console area. It’s a black plastic linkage connection on the cable / rod end, it just pops off the white plastic linkage assy. I also adjusted the rod end a few threads to see if it does anything in the next few… When it was disconnected, the shifter moved freely out of park without the brake pedal depressed…

So the moral of the story is, that if you need to get somewhere and don’t have two and a half hours to f with it, take ten minutes and disconnect it and be on your way. Meanwhile, I will try to find why it doesn’t work sometimes when it’s hot out. I also cleaned up my whole center console while I had it apart…she looks so clean…
This is good to know, if it ever happens to mine ill know what to do

Sent from my DROID3

·
Registered
149 Posts
Damn thing did it to me again yesterday... Took 7 attempts to finally get her out of park, I was about to tear it apart and disconnect it... It was hot, 97... hotter in the car of course... I haven't had a chance to do any further troubleshooting on it yet...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definately a heat related BTSI Issue. My daughter has a 2004 Mazda 6 and for the past mont in St Louis temps have been in the 100+ range and her car periodicly has the issue that it never had before. It has one brake switch that controls the lights and BTSI solenoid, and I haven't had the chance to see if the brake lights come on then the shifter stick issue occures-if the brake lights are inop it would be an indication of a issue with the brake switch. As pointed out in thread 15, the BTSI cable at the shifter is easilly accessed if you know what to do. I screwed with the linkage lenght also, but it didn't seem to effect the issue. I almost get the impression that the BTSI solenoid either mechanically sticks a bit or the resistance in the coils change enough with heat to cause it not to work correctly. The BTSI coil is located on the under the upper part of the steering column. Next time one of us has an issue, if you get a chance to cool the solenoid down I'd be curious if it takes care of the issue-the cable itself didn't feel to be binding to me when I checked. Anyone come across a fix I'm all ears.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts