Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i paid 9.00 (actually $8.55 cause i used the 5% discount) for the Street Unit VTA Cap on 11/18/06. This cap is supposed to be designed to cap off the hose that the BOV normally recirculates to. Cullen sent me a e-mail stating
The caps came in today. They are custom caps that had to be made. Sorry for the delay, have a great Thanksgiving![/b]
This is what i recieved today:

Now for 9.00 i can say i expected something more, i was hoping for something that might even work. This flimsy piece of rubber may possibly just sit inside the recirculation hose just long enough for you to start up the car at which point it will most likely just be sucked right into the impeller. Even if you hose clamped it, the piece would just collapse ending in the same situation. Im still trying to see how these are custom as well, but at this point i dont really care. Luckily i was tired of waiting and installed the BOV a couple days ago and used a XRP 16 AN Cap and hose clamp to block off the line. The kicker is it cost me only 7.00:

Needless to say i felt an obligation to the community to post this info before one of you decides to order it. :drive:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
:laugh: I got that with my HKS kit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dude that sucks!!
I was impresed with the cap off valve that comes with the HKS SS-BOV I had on my 2002 WRX....it was made out of Aluminum not that flimsy rubber thing you got. I would be pissed off also.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is BS, you should ask for a full refund.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Go to the hardware store and get a rubber stopper for 89 cents.

·
Registered
856 Posts
20oz bottle cap works perfect. Go buy yourself a Coke.
I don't run VTA but I have capped it before and thats how I did it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
A) Maybe Street Unit is trying to deffer people from putting their car in the evil VTA mode.

B) If you stretch it to the outside of the stock hose an then clamp it, it will hold tight.

C) If you think that's too much money, use a size D battery. Nothing will get through that bastard.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
They are the same caps that come with the CPE kit. Its not the prettiest but it works. As of right now, thats our only option besides a bottle cap in the hose.

I am open to other options!

WRC 2, send 'er back!
[/b]
As I said before, use a rubber stopper.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Alright i paid 9.00 (actually $8.55 cause i used the 5% discount) for the Street Unit VTA Cap on 11/18/06. This cap is supposed to be designed to cap off the hose that the BOV normally recirculates to. Cullen sent me a e-mail stating This is what i recieved today:

Now for 9.00 i can say i expected something more, i was hoping for something that might even work. This flimsy piece of rubber may possibly just sit inside the recirculation hose just long enough for you to start up the car at which point it will most likely just be sucked right into the impeller. Even if you hose clamped it, the piece would just collapse ending in the same situation. Im still trying to see how these are custom as well, but at this point i dont really care. Luckily i was tired of waiting and installed the BOV a couple days ago and used a XRP 16 AN Cap and hose clamp to block off the line. The kicker is it cost me only 7.00:

Needless to say i felt an obligation to the community to post this info before one of you decides to order it. :drive:
[/b]
You bought a cap not a plug. I imagine your supposed to remove the stock recirc hose entirely and put that cap were it(the stock hose) connected to the intake tube. That cap should work just fine IMO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You bought a cap not a plug. I imagine your supposed to remove the stock recirc hose entirely and put that cap were it(the stock hose) connected to the intake tube. That cap should work just fine IMO.
[/b]
Yeah it is a "cap"
Just like the CP-E kit, you remove the hose and cap off the intake inlet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts