Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have an almost bizzare question and I can't seem to find any posts on it specifically even for other car brands. Maybe I didn't use the right key words. It's one of those things that makes you wonder if it's you or the car that's the issue. Anyways, here it is:

When I am driving my 2007 MS6 I feel some pin and needles (tingling) in my feet and legs sometimes. This doesn't happen when I drive other vehicles including my honda accord. What I did notice is that this feeling seems to go away for the most part when I take my feet off the pedals (when on cruise control for example). I say for the most part because I think that if there is any tingling left, it is probably the residue from when I had my feet touching the pedals.

I've only put about 1300kms (800 miles) on the car. Bought it recently used and it has a total of 61,000km (38000 miles). Everything is stock except for the wheels and tires. I currently have 17" wheels (couldn't tell youthe brand) with winter tires (Nokian hakkapellita).

The funny thing is that my wife who also drives the car, can't feel any pins and needles. So what I did is that I sat in the car without turning the engine on and I can't feel anything either. So it's not my sitting position as a friend suggested to me. I also sat in the passenger side when my wife was driving and can't feel anything there either. It looks like it only happens when the car is moving and when I am touching the pedals. When idling, it is sometimes there and sometimes not.

I know there's been posts about clutch vibrations and things like that but it seems to "affect" all three pedals for me. It almost feels like there is an electric current that is passing through the pedals.

Otherwise, the car drives very smoothly and does not vibrate abnormally as far as I can tell.

Could it be some sort of vibration from the engine being transferred to the pedals (engine mounts, bushings, rear differential, etc...???).

I'll even try a stupid question here: could it be some sort of electric current being transferred to the pedals?

Or maybe I am hyper sensitive to vibrations....

I am not a car expert but there must be a way to at least dampen that feeling I have through the pedals.

Anybody can help me figure this out. It's really weird.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Ok, I have an almost bizzare question and I can't seem to find any posts on it specifically even for other car brands. Maybe I didn't use the right key words. It's one of those things that makes you wonder if it's you or the car that's the issue. Anyways, here it is:

When I am driving my 2007 MS6 I feel some pin and needles (tingling) in my feet and legs sometimes. This doesn't happen when I drive other vehicles including my honda accord. What I did notice is that this feeling seems to go away for the most part when I take my feet off the pedals (when on cruise control for example). I say for the most part because I think that if there is any tingling left, it is probably the residue from when I had my feet touching the pedals.

I've only put about 1300kms (800 miles) on the car. Bought it recently used and it has a total of 61,000km (38000 miles). Everything is stock except for the wheels and tires. I currently have 17" wheels (couldn't tell youthe brand) with winter tires (Nokian hakkapellita).

The funny thing is that my wife who also drives the car, can't feel any pins and needles. So what I did is that I sat in the car without turning the engine on and I can't feel anything either. So it's not my sitting position as a friend suggested to me. I also sat in the passenger side when my wife was driving and can't feel anything there either. It looks like it only happens when the car is moving and when I am touching the pedals. When idling, it is sometimes there and sometimes not.

I know there's been posts about clutch vibrations and things like that but it seems to "affect" all three pedals for me. It almost feels like there is an electric current that is passing through the pedals.

Otherwise, the car drives very smoothly and does not vibrate abnormally as far as I can tell.

Could it be some sort of vibration from the engine being transferred to the pedals (engine mounts, bushings, rear differential, etc...???).

I'll even try a stupid question here: could it be some sort of electric current being transferred to the pedals?

Or maybe I am hyper sensitive to vibrations....

I am not a car expert but there must be a way to at least dampen that feeling I have through the pedals.

Anybody can help me figure this out. It's really weird.
Well, it sure sounds like you have at least one bent connecting rod. This is the precursor to a rod collapse and resulting catastophic engine failure. My guess is that this car was modded and run hard without proper tuning prior to trade-in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it sure sounds like you have at least one bent connecting rod. This is the precursor to a rod collapse and resulting catastophic engine failure. My guess is that this car was modded and run hard without proper tuning prior to trade-in.
FORDZA, thanks for the reply. What do you recommend if that is the case? Is this something that can be easily checked for?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
FORDZA, thanks for the reply. What do you recommend if that is the case? Is this something that can be easily checked for?
Yes, there are steps to check to make sure the rods are not bent and the crankshaft id not oscillating end-to-end while running. Definitely not a DIY unless you're experienced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, there are steps to check to make sure the rods are not bent and the crankshaft id not oscillating end-to-end while running. Definitely not a DIY unless you're experienced.
I guess I have to take it back to the dealership so they can check. I am certainly not capable of doing that.

Would it not make some sort of noise if the connecting rod was bent? I can't seem to hear any noise at all.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Would it not make some sort of noise if the connecting rod was bent? I can't seem to hear any noise at all..
It won't make noise until it is pretty badly bent. You MAY be lucky and only have a problem with the clutch or engine mounts, but all are expensive unless you have warranty. Make SURE you get documention that you brought the car in for this problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It won't make noise until it is pretty badly bent. You MAY be lucky and only have a problem with the clutch or engine mounts, but all are expensive unless you have warranty. Make SURE you get documention that you brought the car in for this problem.

Will do!! Thanks. I've already booked an appointment for Next Monday. I'll have them check the engine mounts too. I do have 3 years warranty left.

Thanks FORDZA

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so the dealership called me and said that it is the spring coils and rubber mounts that need to be replaced. Unfortunately I don't know much about this but does that make sense to anybody?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Ok so the dealership called me and said that it is the spring coils and rubber mounts that need to be replaced. Unfortunately I don't know much about this but does that make sense to anybody?
Hmmm? Well it doesn't make much sense to me either. Can you get a better detailed description of what they "think" it is? I could see there may be a connection between your vibration issues and the engine mounts, especially the passenger side mount, but I can't fathom ANY connection to "springs". Maybe something is lost in the translation?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If this is all covered under warranty, then you'll likely need to let them go ahead and swap out all the parts they want, but beware they might want to charge YOU for their poor troubleshooting. FYI, the OEMs do NOT allow them their shop time for this so they tend to pass the cost on to the customer disguised as other services they did or did not perform.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Fordza,

yes they have to call me back anyway as I told them not to do anything for now. Apparently it is not covered by my warranty and asking 1500$ for the job. I have the suspicion they just want to make some money here.

I will ask them specifically what they found and how this is linked to the problem. If this really is the problem then I'll wait to get it "fixed" later as the most important thing for me was to find out if there is a problem and what it is.

thanks again for your reply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts