Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My questions is simple; has anyone removed their mufflers in favor of straight pipes? My local, neighborhood pipe-benders don't seem too interested in performing a mufflerectomy for me (sounds painful, but it isn't). However, in a previous VW Turbodieseled (TDi) life, I lopped off the muffler and found tremendous improvements in turbo response and boost pressure. The TDi does use a VNT (no BOV), so the overboost is just a reflection of the faster acceleration ramp of the turbo wheel, without the backpressure. I brought home a nice, metalic red MS6 a few days ago and I can't wait to get started on modding it. It's a great starting point, but there is definitely a distinct pressence of lag with the turbo. Would removing the mufflers reduce the lag? It works all over the turbodiesel world and I've known some WRX and Evo drivers who have done it. Anyone ventured there with an MS6?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
a bunch of v6's have...search...if they'll do it for the v6, they'll do it for the speed

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have my mufflers removed. I had a local shop unbolt the mufflers and add some pipes to extend the exaust back to the bumper. Cost me a case of beer and $20.00. The motor sounds much better(you can actually hear it running now!)--but I didn't notice a big performance improvment.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My questions is simple; has anyone removed their mufflers in favor of straight pipes? My local, neighborhood pipe-benders don't seem too interested in performing a mufflerectomy for me (sounds painful, but it isn't). However, in a previous VW Turbodieseled (TDi) life, I lopped off the muffler and found tremendous improvements in turbo response and boost pressure. The TDi does use a VNT (no BOV), so the overboost is just a reflection of the faster acceleration ramp of the turbo wheel, without the backpressure. I brought home a nice, metalic red MS6 a few days ago and I can't wait to get started on modding it. It's a great starting point, but there is definitely a distinct pressence of lag with the turbo. Would removing the mufflers reduce the lag? It works all over the turbodiesel world and I've known some WRX and Evo drivers who have done it. Anyone ventured there with an MS6?
[/b]
A search would have done you good... FYI
I removed my mufflers and installed resonator tips... purrs, bubbles like a small V8, if anyone can remember the TVR. And it has great mid range pull.

·
Registered
43 Posts
[/b]
see, I'm not the only one that says lopped off. :p By the way I did it, but had them remove the cat, and replace w/a resinator, w/no mufflers it definately made a performance difference.

·
Registered
583 Posts
street concepts says their exhaust can be bought in sections. i think i might buy the pipes and not the mufflers and put on my own tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
nickdina
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing