Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, so I go down to a couple of muffler shops to get an estimate on how much this would set me beack (I'm ready to just get it done at this point), and then I'm referred to a specialsist(on exhaust systems). I go there, and the second I tell the guy I want to straight pipe from the axle back he says BAD IDEA. So I ask him what could be so bad about simply removing the mufflers, and sorry I didnt remember the most important part well, but he said something along the lines of, -that our cars are fine tuned in some way, and that taking out the mufflers might mess with fuel economy(negatively) and that there might be some long-run problems with my valves. He said all this was due to the change in pressures and the way the exhaust system was tuned.... having been told that this dude is an expert, and me not actually knowing much about exhaust systems I said thanks for the info and decided to not do the straight pipe.

so why am I posting this?
1. To ask if this dude has any idea what he's talking about(please respond to this only if you really know your stuff on this, dont just go, WHO CARES?? IT SOUNDS SWEET! DO IT!!)
2. Has anybody else been told something similar, what have you done to fix the potential problems?
2. If this turns out to be all true, and absence of the muflers can actually damage the motor, then consider yourselves warned haha.

Needles to say I'm pretty disappointed, I really wanted to get it done- I even considered just doing it anyways regardless of my new-found info. So, does anybody have a magic solution??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the link bro, but I've looked over each video I could find of straight pipe and ectual exhaust systems I could find. The way it will sound is not the issue haha

·
Registered
488 Posts
anyone with a strsight pipe on a 2.3l 4 banger? if you do post sounds..

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
as far as i know, and from what I've heard there are NO negatives behind removing parts of the exhaust system i long ago before this car heard rumors about blowing things or wear/tear more on the engine, but not for this car. i myself haven't performed the mod yet because I'm in the same boat you are. I'm over protective of this car. i need to see "concrete" proof. NOT that i don't trust anyone on here, because I've acquired allot of knowledge from the other members already on different projects, but there is informations thats been past from one to another that could accidentally get changed from one to another, and there are those who have researched and found the proof online, or read it somewhere online. :yesnod:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
ive had this on my car for months now. with no issues at all. most times when people get into modifiying the exhaust they are highly concerned with backpressure on N/A vehicles. if u lose too much backpressure then u lose performance do to the fact that the scavenging effect is no longer in place. but then too much restriction u lose performance as well.

its all about finding that sweet spot.

but backpressure is not a issue with the V6 M6..........all the backpressure, at least 85-95% of it is created by the headers and the 4 damn cats mazda put into the mix(dumb as hell) changing any part of the exhaust on our cars after the headers has little to no effect on performance, because the lot of the restrition is still there.

this mod alters your exhaust note, and thats it. i see no reason why it would damage the car. if putting axle back str8 pipes on a car hurts it then no one would make axle backs or exhaust for that matter. ya dig.

of course it ur decision on what u do. but im just telling u i havent had 1 issue since i went str8.

as for CONCRETE PROOF....................good luck finding that malice.

you wont, because that scenario of hurting an engine or not hurting an engine is a case by case scenario.............someone probably blew their motor shortly after changing something in the exhaust......and automatically pins it on the exhaust mod they just did........when indeed the motor couldve been on its way out to begin with u know.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ive had this on my car for months now. with no issues at all. most times when people get into modifiying the exhaust they are highly concerned with backpressure on N/A vehicles. if u lose too much backpressure then u lose performance do to the fact that the scavenging effect is no longer in place. but then too much restriction u lose performance as well.

its all about finding that sweet spot.

but backpressure is not a issue with the V6 M6..........all the backpressure, at least 85-95% of it is created by the headers and the 4 damn cats mazda put into the mix(dumb as hell) changing any part of the exhaust on our cars after the headers has little to no effect on performance, because the lot of the restrition is still there.

this mod alters your exhaust note, and thats it. i see no reason why it would damage the car. if putting axle back str8 pipes on a car hurts it then no one would make axle backs or exhaust for that matter. ya dig.

of course it ur decision on what u do. but im just telling u i havent had 1 issue since i went str8.
as for CONCRETE PROOF....................good luck finding that malice.

you wont, because that scenario of hurting an engine or not hurting an engine is a case by case scenario.............someone probably blew their motor shortly after changing something in the exhaust......and automatically pins it on the exhaust mod they just did........when indeed the motor couldve been on its way out to begin with u know.[/b]

i think i got my answer there :yesnod:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to straight pipe my Mazda6 any idea of what size pipes to tell them and will I actually have to buy anything but the pipe and installation fee

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pipe is a matter of preference but if you go anything above 2.75 or 3.00 inch it will sound VERY hollow and ricey. If you are going to straight pipe, i would stick around 2.75, good flow sound and good volume. If a shop does it they can transfer your hangers and hardware to the new piping.

Reactions: Thomas22

·
Registered
293 Posts
What's the best diameter pipe for a axle back straight pipe? In your opinions?
Sticking with the same pipe size as OEM is going to reduce backpressure a small amount and may deepen the exhaust note.
Going up to a larger pipe is going to hollow out the sound and increase volume. There may be a negative impact on performance.
Reduction of pipe size by 1 size (eg 2.0 => 1.875) should have minimal impact on backpressure.

If converting from a dual to single exhaust, add 50% to pipe size (eg 2 => 3) as the larger size which starts to be hollow sounding, and drop 1 size ( 3=> 2.5) as the smallest size.
The ideal size for this is an uncommon size at 2.75.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sticking with the same pipe size as OEM is going to reduce backpressure a small amount and may deepen the exhaust note.
Going up to a larger pipe is going to hollow out the sound and increase volume. There may be a negative impact on performance.
Reduction of pipe size by 1 size (eg 2.0 => 1.875) should have minimal impact on backpressure.

If converting from a dual to single exhaust, add 50% to pipe size (eg 2 => 3) as the larger size which starts to be hollow sounding, and drop 1 size ( 3=> 2.5) as the smallest size.

If Going up to a larger pipe is going to hollow out the sound and increase volume. But you said "There may be a negative impact on performance." How much of a negative impact would it be? I have a 2.3l engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts

If Going up to a larger pipe is going to hollow out the sound and increase volume. But you said "There may be a negative impact on performance." How much of a negative impact would it be? I have a 2.3l engine.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts