Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I saw a video on youtube of somebody with a mazda6 and a straight pipe exhaust. I thought it was a pretty cheap and easy way to get a decent sound from your exhaust. What I'm wondering is if anybody on here has done that, and if you haven't and just have info on it.

1. Which CEL will come on, and how can I get it to turn off ( I'm guessing some sort of censor will go off)??
2. Is there anything I have to worry about performance wise, will it be positive, negative for my car to do this??

I know I'll be killing more trees with my catalytic converter off, but it sounds so nice haha.

Well, I really hope that somebody can give me a little bit of insight on this topic, I don't want to go chopping up my exhaust and then having to re-weld things back on a week later, thanks,
(the video below)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AB1z1nS92Y

- BlackV6

·
Registered
488 Posts
yeah, i was actually the one who was recording that on my camera, thats my friend Jason's 6... he is Obs on the forum.

1. as far as i know he did not thrown a CEL.
2. for performance, ill get him to post his personal experience about the mod tonight..

it really sounds nice, not too loud and not too soft.

i believe he paid 70 bucks to get it done.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
well i have str8 pipe on my car. axle back tho......most people that do this do axle backs. i dont belive there is one person with a full str8 pipe exhaust, IE- no cats and such. but with our cars ur gonna see minimal if not any power gains from our exhaust, unless its from a header install.

here u go.............fly-by, drive around, and revving!

FLY-BY:

DRIVING AROUND:

REVVING:

str8 pipes(axle backs) is the best sounding exhaust for our cars IMO. once i get my headers i will do another sound check on them. i'll probably have to add resonators to keep the current sound. dont want it to be raspy. FYI- i paid $167 for mine, the lot of that price came from the tips i brought........they are 6" in length and have a 4" outlet and 2.5" inlet and are chrome

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, wow. haha dude that sounds absolutely amazing. Its set, I'm going to the muffler shop and doing it tomorrow

·
Registered
118 Posts
hahaha... nice clip playa...I think I'm gonna head down there pretty soon and get that work done to mine.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
whats the difference between a staright pipe and a full catback exhaust? i already have axelbacks... and if i put on the straight pipe would it give anymore gains?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
whats the difference between a staright pipe and a full catback exhaust? i already have axelbacks... and if i put on the straight pipe would it give anymore gains?[/b]
all str8 pipes are........an exhaust system with no mufflers, cats, or resonators.as i said. i havent met anyone on here that has a 6 that has an entire system str8 piped. main reason is because our 3.0L gets buzzy after headers. so resonators would definately be a must to keep the deeper sound. i just hav mine str8 piped from the y out.a cat back system starts from the last cat u have in ur system. and usually includes using mufflers in the install. cat backs or much rather any exhaust mods after the header are almost gainless and are only truly used to change the tone(sound) of the exhaust(on our cars), other cars are designed differently so u'd see more significant gains.the headers are the most restrictive part in our 6's exhaust system.
hahaha... nice clip playa...I think I'm gonna head down there pretty soon and get that work done to mine.. :thumbup:[/b]
yea just let me know when u wanna do it. so i can call my guy and let em know ur coming so he can have time alotted for u

we are gonna have to add this to the exhausts for the 6s...............Great NY Axle Back Str8 pipe system, $160, lol

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
damn thats pretty tight.... shit, now i can't decide between injen and custom straight pipes haha... pipes are cheaper, but im afraid they are a bit to "un-refined" for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So Great NY- not to sound stubbornly dumb, I just want to make sure I do it the right way. All you've done to yours is take out the mufflers that are right behind the tips. You still have cat. and resonators. I just wasnt sure what axle back meants before, so I figured its just the exhaust systems from the rear axle back. Is this correct?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
So Great NY- not to sound stubbornly dumb, I just want to make sure I do it the right way. All you've done to yours is take out the mufflers that are right behind the tips. You still have cat. and resonators. I just wasnt sure what axle back meants before, so I figured its just the exhaust systems from the rear axle back. Is this correct?[/b]

yup that all I did. im not gonna toy with the rest of the exhaust untill I put my headers on...then ill adjust fire and get th sound I want

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, awesome. Well thanks for the link to the videos and the help. This is the next on the to-do now. Cant wait to hear that sound.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
2 questions...
1. can i do that to a 2.3L auto trans?
2. any muffler shop will do that?[/b]

yea u can do it, not sure what it would sound like tho, but u can do it. and any shop should do it as olong as u tell them what u want

·
Registered
626 Posts
2 questions...
1. can i do that to a 2.3L auto trans?
2. any muffler shop will do that?[/b]
obviously it wouldnt sound as good as a 3l....I think it would sound more high pitched, but thats just my opinion

Hahaha sometimes I hate having straight pipes, because its hard to talk on a cell phone even with the windows rolled up.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
obviously it wouldnt sound as good as a 3l....I think it would sound more high pitched, but thats just my opinion

Hahaha sometimes I hate having straight pipes, because its hard to talk on a cell phone even with the windows rolled up.[/b]
hmm......i havent really had any issues with phone usage, but it is loud in 5th gear at lower rpms. but i guess i just got used to it.

when i say tell them what u want. i mean as in where and how u want the tips placed, what tips u want to use and such.

when i did mine i was able to walk the guy thru it and tell him exactly how i wanted it.(i know him personally, so he lets me oon the shop floor, some people wont due to insurance reasons, he knows i can do it myself but lack te welding equipment to do so)

but u have to visual lise how u want it to look.

in my mind the perfect exhaust out let for this car would be 4" outlet(tip) protruding no more than 1" to 1 1/2" out from the stock exhaust pipe slots. and be almost perfectly parralel with the driving surface. none of that angle bullshit like u see on hondas and supras so to speak.so i basically held it in place while he took the measurements and welded it up. so i know its where i wanted it.

here u go, hopefully these help.........

i like how if u stare str8 behind it, it almost looks like there is no exhaust.

like i said, u just cut off the factory shit, and put piping in its place. the tips i purchaced on my own

1 - 20 of 33 Posts