Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so would it it be bad idea... (not considering laws, sound, CEL or anything just hp) to have a straight 3 inch pipe from the turbo all the way back? Because my friends dad owns a muffler shop and he told me he would put a straight pipe all the way back or include a high flow cat from the turbo to the back... i dunno he seemed like he knew what he was talkin bout....

·
Registered
231 Posts
I say go for it!!
But atleast add some highflow mufflers/muffler and maybe a resonator on the midpipe

You dont want to be super loud and run without cats, or your asking for trouble

·
Registered
166 Posts
Def throw a highflow cat in there, but straight pipe rocks, i had it on my c5 corvette and i loved it. it should give you some good gains, but it will be loud and if you want to cut down noise inside the car a good maybe 12" resonator or so. just remember if you are opening up the exhaust you should also open up the intake as well, because you need to compliment parts, if you increase exhaust flow, you will get optimal results if you increase your intake as well (especially since the stock intake is so damn restrictive).

·
Registered
721 Posts
(not considering laws, sound, CEL or anything just hp)
[/b]
with those criteria? straight pipe would be ideal and not a bad idea at all except you would need an 02 emulator on 2nd 02 sensor to prevent CEL. or... drop a high flow cat on the down pipe between the two 02 sensors. go single out for less weight and no y-pipe restriction.

Personally i would put at least one straight through muffler and a resonator, if not two. These won't hinder performance at all and will keep the drone out of the cabin.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can do what you want, but for the car/combo in it's present state a 3" is way overkill. 3" could support close to double the HP this car is making.

What would help is no cats or hi flo cats, no mufflers or single high flow muffler and get rid of the T union. Be aware boost creep will probably become an issue regardless what you do.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You can do what you want, but for the car/combo in it's present state a 3" is way overkill. 3" could support close to double the HP this car is making.

What would help is no cats or hi flo cats, no mufflers or single high flow muffler and get rid of the T union. Be aware boost creep will probably become an issue regardless what you do.
[/b]
if you're getting rid of all that stuff, you're running completely new pipe anyway. 3" won't cost that much more than 2.5", and with a turbo, there's no such thing as too big.

Just make sure it's mandrel bent.

·
Registered
440 Posts
if you're getting rid of all that stuff, you're running completely new pipe anyway. 3" won't cost that much more than 2.5", and with a turbo, there's no such thing as too big.

Just make sure it's mandrel bent.
[/b]
That is true, but it seems folks think they "need" a 3" when in fact they don't.

·
Registered
721 Posts
That is true, but it seems folks think they "need" a 3" when in fact they don't.
[/b]
Some people would call this... "future ready".

·
Registered
475 Posts
dont get me wrong straight pipes r the shit especially on a harley, loud as fuck but a little back pressure is better for performance purposes. a dyno would say the same thing 3" straight is too freed-up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
dont get me wrong straight pipes r the shit especially on a harley, loud as fuck but a little back pressure is better for performance purposes. a dyno would say the same thing 3" straight is too freed-up.
[/b]
Wrong..... for a turbo NO pipe would be best.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Most of the comments on this post are far from accurate...

The larger the diameter of the exhaust the higher the power output on a turbocharged vehicle...

And as for killing low end toque, the larger the exhaust the sooner the turbo will spool....

A dyno will prove this...

On most NA vehicles a 2.5" exhaust is good, but on a turbocharged vehicle its a waste of money...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
[/b]
You want exhaust velocity, not backpressure. Too big of a pipe on a N/A vehicle, no exhaust velocity (power loss down low, slight gain up high). Too big of a pipe on a turbo vehicle? No such thing.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wrong..... for a turbo NO pipe would be best.
[/b]
i thought he was sayin he didnt have turbo yet thats how i came about my responce, with turbo the only restriction you need to worry about is the law

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aright thanks alot... i could care less for noise an stuff... louder is better... im juss 18 yrs old anyways so who cares... no image to maintain... but would boost creep be an issue for sure? or just a chance... cuz if i get boost creep... then no way am i doing this....

·
Registered
721 Posts
aright thanks alot... i could care less for noise an stuff... louder is better... im juss 18 yrs old anyways so who cares... no image to maintain... but would boost creep be an issue for sure? or just a chance... cuz if i get boost creep... then no way am i doing this....
[/b]
that will depend on how well he fabricates the down pipe.

i thought he was sayin he didnt have turbo yet thats how i came about my responce, with turbo the only restriction you need to worry about is the law
[/b]
This is the MPS forum. They come with turbo's. :slap:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well dj petey i see u have a custom exhasut too... any boost creep? and the guy is not juss sum fool not knowin what he is doing.. i mean he has a turbo audi with a similar set up... sooo... i dunoo...

·
Registered
744 Posts
well if hes a good friend and will do it extremely cheap theres only one way to really tell if your gonna get boost creep. if its cheap i say do it. if it turns out ur geting boost creep. be like "yo dads friend wtf". see if he fixes it. if not then put stocker back on.

·
Registered
721 Posts
well dj petey i see u have a custom exhasut too... any boost creep? and the guy is not juss sum fool not knowin what he is doing.. i mean he has a turbo audi with a similar set up... sooo... i dunoo...
[/b]
haven't put in my boost gauge yet but i'm running a stock down pipe so there's very little chance of boost creep right now. I won't do a down pipe till the boost gauge is in.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Boost creep will only happen with a new downpipe...

Most of the time this only occurs if you go completely catless...

The PCM opens the wastegate so much as it is in the high rpm's i don't think creep is going to be much of an issue...

Now the guys with MBC's or EBC's, they might see a slight jump, but even then I have my doubts...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Would boost creap eliminate the need for a boost controller? :D
How much psi does boost creep usually add by removing the cats?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts