Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my MS6 for a bit over 3 years now, B2B warranty is up but other than the occasional cold-weather trunk switch issue the car has been solid. It's is super clean and only has 20k miles. It is bone stock except for a set of 18x8 Rotas w/ BFG KDW2 . It's a light-use daily driver which also sees Chicago winters (with OEM tires and Dunlop Winter Sports) as well.

The only other car I've even been interested in was the BMW 135i, and lately I've been drooling over spy shots and rumor-specs of the upcoming 'M' version of the 1-series, whatever BMW decides to call it.

As my sig shows, I'm no stranger to mods. I replaced damn near every part on my old Eclipse GSX with something aftermarket, but it's a slippery (expensive) slope that I didn't want to start with the Mazda. But since I have wandering eyes lately I'm thinking that some nicely selected mods would (1) respark my interest in the MS6 and (2) save a ton of $$ as my car has been paid of for years while the new M1 will probably come in around $48k+ USD. Ouch.

So here's a short list of what I'm thinking of for different rounds of mods based on a few days of research (mostly on this forum). Let me know if any of these don't seem to play together nicely or there are better parts to choose from out there.

Round 1: Pop the hood
  • Prosport 52mm Amber Mechanical Boost Gauge
  • Corksport SRI /with Airbox
  • Corksport Turbo Inlet Pipe
  • Synapse Synchronic BOV
  • ETS Top Mount Intercooler
Round 2: One long day on the lift
  • Corksport Cat-back Exhaust
    • w/ Polyurethane hangers
  • CPE Wishbone Rear Engine Mount
  • H&R Coilover Suspension Kit
  • SPC Camber Adjustable Ball Joints
  • Brembo GT Big Brake kit w/ ST04 Ceramic Pads
Later on I may look at some bolt-on factory-swap turbo upgrade, but this engine is no 4G63 so I don't plan to take it to the level I did with my Eclipse; something north of 300hp would be the ceiling. Mainly I'm looking to 'wake up' the car a bit by uncorking the intake and given it an actual exhaust presence instead of the non-note the stock exhaust offers. I'd also really like to get that Autoexec TMIC as the ARC core is incredible, but it's 3x the cost of the ETS which many people seem very happy with.

I'm also still on the fence about the Standback and at which point it would be most beneficial at add to the car, most threads I see in the forum about it are For Sale posts so not sure what that means about it.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
haven't seen the new M1, but for that money, I'd pick up a used M3 with low miles on it.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hell, or a used 135i with low miles. I witnessed a 135i with just an FMIC, boost controller, drag slicks and a small shot of nitrous run an 11.2 in the 1/4.

Fully bolted MS6 just netted it's fastest & quickest time in 4 years of production at 12.6. Not swaying you away from the MS6, but it seems you like power and lots of it. The MS6 won't be the car to get it. Not for cheap you wont.

Now, if you can actually trick your mind into keeping you content with 300 you may manage haha. Fully bolted on the stock turbo can get you around there. But instead of TMIC, why don't you just go with a custom FMIC. Should be about the same price, and you'll get better performance and it'll look way better. I'd say intake, inlet pipe, turbo, fmic, bov, ported intake mani, exhaust mani, tbe, and AP should get you there with flying colors. And if you hawk the F/S forums, you'll be able to do it relatively inexpensively.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
^Good advice. FMIC ftw. Autoexe is a super rip. Put your money into other necessary mods, such as:

You'll also need the CPE rear diff mount, unless that's what you meant above. You'll also probably want the TT rear diff front mount, but it is not as crucial. Don't launch your car without an upgraded rear diff mount. There's only two I know of.... CPE's and SU's. It is rare, but I know of a couple failures of the SU rear diff mount. I have never heard of the CPE mount failing. Has anyone else?

You'll also want at least a rear motor mount, and you'll need an Oil Catch Can. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I gotta run. GL

·
Registered
651 Posts
The only other car I've even been interested in was the BMW 135i, and lately I've been drooling over spy shots and rumor-specs of the upcoming 'M' version of the 1-series, whatever BMW decides to call it.
At this point...you will get no resistance from me on wanting a BMW. :p

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
I dont see a DP or tuning on your list, so with the mods you listed (nearly identical to some of mine) you can expect to be in the 240-260whp/280-300tq range (depending on what dyno you get on obviously).

I keep telling myself with a tune I'll be happy... we'll see.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the stock downpipe need to be replaced on the stock turbo? I didn't move to a 3" DP on my GSX until dropping a 16G in. If I upgrade in the future then I can get a CS DP to go with the CS cat-back and then add the Race Cat or TP.

Regarding the drivetrain mounts, what a mess. I've never seen so many aftermarket driveline components for a car, seems like Mazda screwed the pooch on that portion of the design. If there is one thing I dislike about my MS6 (other than the terrible navigation interface) it's the clutch/driveline slop.

So what is recommended or benefical for a stock or midly modded MS6 that probably won't see the drag strip but once in it's life (if that)? So far I count:
  • Rear Engine Mount: CPE or AWR
  • Right Engine Mount: AWR
  • Front Engine Mount: TT
  • Transmission Mount: AWR
  • Rearward Differental Mount : CPE or SU
  • Forward Differential Mount: TT
From past research it looks like the rear engine mount (wishbone shaped) is a must-have, but no idea on the rest of them. On my next oil change I guess I should visually inspect them to see if any show signs of wear or damage.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yeah the stock DP is terribly restrictive. Good gains to be had. you don't need all those mounts. Just get the differential mounts, and the Rear MM + front MM. The side mounts are overkill. I have ZERO movement with the front/rear MM's.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the stock DP is terribly restrictive. Good gains to be had. you don't need all those mounts. Just get the differential mounts, and the Rear MM + front MM. The side mounts are overkill. I have ZERO movement with the front/rear MM's.
So to clarify you are recommending:
  • CPE/SU Rear Engine Mount
  • TT Front Engine Mount
  • TT Forward Differential Mount
  • CPE/SU Reward Diffrential Mount
That's about a grand worth of just driveline mounts. Damn.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
^ yup. check F/S sections. They pop up fairly regularly if you're willing to buy them used. You can probably get by without the TT forward diff mount tho. I've just got a "rearward" diff mount (CP-E or SU StiffDiff) and haven't had any problems. And I'm fully bolted, and drive the car the way it's meant to be driven rather often. I would however suggest you install a rear swaybar at the same time since you've got to drop it to get to the diff mount anyway.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Does the stock downpipe need to be replaced on the stock turbo? I didn't move to a 3" DP on my GSX until dropping a 16G in. If I upgrade in the future then I can get a CS DP to go with the CS cat-back and then add the Race Cat or TP.
Ok lets talk turkey here, since youre a fellow DSM'er...

A full 3" exhaust with test pipe can net you around 50 hp. This is backed up by many many many 1/4 mile trips by many many many people. I cant say much for the MS6, but i went with a full 3" on my 14b and damn did it do some good. I always told people, exhaust/K&N FIRST, then MBC, fuel etc later on. Even without the intake taken care of, getting the hot stuff out fast makes all the difference in the world on a turbo car. And ignore these people that say upgrade the DP, and leave the stock exhaust on there. Might as well leave the stock DP too...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMO that approach is more applicabe to a 14G powered 1G (especially an early '90 with the larger injectors). The 2G's T-too-small typically doesn't warrant a new DP until later down the line. I moved to an HRC 3" DP with the small 16G at the same time on the 2G.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I think youre referring to the 14b manual turbo that had 450's, vs the auto 91-94's that had 390's. On the 2G's, yea the T-25 doesnt 'warrant' a full exhaust, but it wont hurt to do the whole thing at once.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I've had my MS6 for a bit over 3 years now, B2B warranty is up but other than the occasional cold-weather trunk switch issue the car has been solid. It's is super clean and only has 20k miles. It is bone stock except for a set of 18x8 Rotas w/ BFG KDW2 . It's a light-use daily driver which also sees Chicago winters (with OEM tires and Dunlop Winter Sports) as well.

As my sig shows, I'm no stranger to mods. I replaced damn near every part on my old Eclipse GSX with something aftermarket, but it's a slippery (expensive) slope that I didn't want to start with the Mazda. But since I have wandering eyes lately I'm thinking that some nicely selected mods would (1) respark my interest in the MS6 and (2) save a ton of $$ as my car has been paid of for years while the new M1 will probably come in around $48k+ USD. Ouch.

So here's a short list of what I'm thinking of for different rounds of mods based on a few days of research (mostly on this forum). Let me know if any of these don't seem to play together nicely or there are better parts to choose from out there.

Round 1: Pop the hood
  • Prosport 52mm Amber Mechanical Boost Gauge
  • Corksport SRI /with Airbox
  • Corksport Turbo Inlet Pipe
  • Synapse Synchronic BOV
  • ETS Top Mount Intercooler
Round 2: One long day on the lift
  • Corksport Cat-back Exhaust
    • w/ Polyurethane hangers
  • CPE Wishbone Rear Engine Mount
  • H&R Coilover Suspension Kit
  • SPC Camber Adjustable Ball Joints
  • Brembo GT Big Brake kit w/ ST04 Ceramic Pads
Later on I may look at some bolt-on factory-swap turbo upgrade, but this engine is no 4G63 so I don't plan to take it to the level I did with my Eclipse; something north of 300hp would be the ceiling. Mainly I'm looking to 'wake up' the car a bit by uncorking the intake and given it an actual exhaust presence instead of the non-note the stock exhaust offers. I'd also really like to get that Autoexec TMIC as the ARC core is incredible, but it's 3x the cost of the ETS which many people seem very happy with.

I'm also still on the fence about the Standback and at which point it would be most beneficial at add to the car, most threads I see in the forum about it are For Sale posts so not sure what that means about it.
My buddy just bought a 135i and loves it. He was out on some twisties with a few Porsches, yes they beat him up in the curves but he did a good job keeping up. For the money you can't beat them, unless you go with an older M3 like someone earlier mentioned.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are not helping! :lol:

Maybe I'll just do some basic mods on the MS6 and wait 2-3 years for a used 1; let someone else take the initial depreciation hit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts