Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how the stock tires that come with the 17" rims handle in the snow? I was thinking of using them as my winter Rims/Tires and buying some 18"s for summer. But there's no point in doing that if the tires that come with the 17" Rims don't play well with snow and ice. Any ideas?

18" Rims (PFF7)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Stock Wheels in Snow'

Nice rims....looks like we might get some snow tonight or tomorrow, I'll let you know :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Stock Wheels in Snow

Ehh in Sweden stock tyres = summer tires. They are no good on ice and snow. To wide, no grip and 17" would give you terrible comfort on bad snowy roads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I was afraid the stock tires on the 17" rims are performance / summer tires. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Originally posted by meat6

Nice rims....looks like we might get some snow tonight or tomorrow, I'll let you know :D[/b]
Thanks. I was trying to find the Aspec rims, but they were way over priced. These were very similar for much less!!! :)

Let me know how yours do in the snow!

·
Registered
220 Posts

Blackbird is right. The standard 17" all seasons are not ideal--not anywhere there is likely to be snow. I'm running the standard rims with the Nokian Hakkapeletta winter tires...they're the best I can get in Alaska.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Originally posted by Killerfred

Originally posted by meat6

Nice rims....looks like we might get some snow tonight or tomorrow, I'll let you know :D[/b]
Thanks. I was trying to find the Aspec rims, but they were way over priced. These were very similar for much less!!! :)

Let me know how yours do in the snow![/b][/quote]

Left a friends house last night at 3 am(thats another story); walked out to find three inches of snow on the car. Town plows had gone around me, didn't think I was going to be getting out. But to my surprize I pulled right out. Turned down a side street unplowed and tracked right through. Michelin Pilots, I'm sure there not your best bet for snow but they did all right. Now if I could just get rid of this headache :(

·
Registered
146 Posts

I don't find the stock 17"s that bad in snow. You have to be a very conservative driver; but that is just common sense. We have had *much* more snow than usual this year and I find the M6 very easy to pilot around in it.

I have the manual tranny too btw.

Just my opinon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I know a FWD car is easier to pilot in the snow anyway. My area doesn't get THAT much snow, just the occasional 2-4 inch snowfall. It usually melts within a week or two. My guess is that the stock wheels will suffice.

Hopefully it will snow again so I can go take a test drive and try it out. Thanks for your posts. Quite helpful.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Remember that it's never safe to drive with summer tires on snow and ice. You might feel that you have control. But on a high speed motorway you don't have that much to do if the car hits an icespot. Or if it rains and then freezes. When you have a thin thin thin layuer of ice, and not even studded tires work well, I don't think summer tires will work at all.

I would feel that it's worth the extra money a set of winter wheels cost, just to know that I can drive in somewhat normal speeds under the winter time and know that the car will stop. I Sweden it's mandatory with winter tyres from 1 december to 31 march. You don't need studs though but it would recommend it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts