Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stockers and they're pretty much gone - esp. after this last weekend.

Spent a few hours this past weekend carving up this canyon - fun stuff - the tires would probably beg to differ.

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=&am...060081&om=1

Looking at these - I think they're the same brand/model but at a 225/45/18 size - a little wider and a little taller.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=1

These will pretty much be tires for the interim - until I get some new wheels. They're cheap and I just need some temp. tread.

Just wanted thoughts etc. Nothing too exciting here, but if anyone has anything negative or positive to say, in a constructive manner, I would appreciate all comments. Or if anyone can recommend a stock replacement tire - great.

Thanks in advance.

btw - the links weren't working when I posted this, otherwise I wouldn't have pasted the urls'

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I have the stockers and they're pretty much gone - esp. after this last weekend.

Spent a few hours this past weekend carving up this canyon - fun stuff - the tires would probably beg to differ.

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=&am...060081&om=1

Looking at these - I think they're the same brand/model but at a 225/45/18 size - a little wider and a little taller.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=1

These will pretty much be tires for the interim - until I get some new wheels. They're cheap and I just need some temp. tread.

Just wanted thoughts etc. Nothing too exciting here, but if anyone has anything negative or positive to say, in a constructive manner, I would appreciate all comments. Or if anyone can recommend a stock replacement tire - great.

Thanks in advance.

btw - the links weren't working when I posted this, otherwise I wouldn't have pasted the urls'
[/b]
whats your odometer reading?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just recently ran into the same issue but I went to replace them with some nice all seasons. Becuase it is almost winter and I can't afford winter tires and summers. I went with Continental Extreme contact and i love em nice looking and preform well. IN ny opinion..

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just recently ran into the same issue but I went to replace them with some nice all seasons. Becuase it is almost winter and I can't afford winter tires and summers. I went with Continental Extreme contact and i love em nice looking and preform well. IN ny opinion..
[/b]
Well obviously buying winter tires and summer tires is gonna cost about twice as much as just buying all-seasons.

But you're going to wear them out half as fast.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats your odometer reading?
[/b]
I'm pushing 15k now - ack!

No need for all-seasons, let alone winter tires here.

I'm only looking at Extreme Performance Summer or Max Performance Summer tires - it doesn't snow at the beach in CA!

I don't want to splurge on rims just yet and want to wait until things settle out - but in the meantime, I need some new tread.

The Bridgestones I linked to in my first post aren't available nearby and I will have to pay a $80 premium for shipping.

I did find these though - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...p;x=78&y=10

Heard decent things about this brand - and they're real cheap at $95 ea. - just wondering if A) they'll fit. B) they won't suck C) they won't totally mess with the speedo

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well obviously buying winter tires and summer tires is gonna cost about twice as much as just buying all-seasons.

But you're going to wear them out half as fast.
[/b]

true, and you will have optimum grip all year by getting the summer performance, and winter tires, instead of crappy grip all year with the all-seasons.

·
Registered
940 Posts
[/b]
Getting ready to get a set of those installed next month (my stocks have a ton of tread left though) in preparation for winter. I had a set of those for my Focus SVT for winter and they were awesome.

No need for snow tires here, so i will just use the all seasons for winter then figure out what to put on my RX8 wheels in the spring.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I went with 225/40 BFG KDW NT's and I love them. The wider channels should help with rain in the upcoming months. I tested the dry grip in Azusa Canyon when I got them and was very pleased. I got them from discount tire for 750 out the door with road hazard. They would have been 650 without.

·
Registered
979 Posts
the contis are great and I hear that they do well in the winter..> They will also last longer than those crppy potenzas that are on there. There was no affroding rims and winter tires and summer tires for me.. One or the ther.. Got a mortgage to pay you know... But I have to say that I am pleased with their performance and look.

·
Registered
595 Posts
the contis are great and I hear that they do well in the winter..> They will also last longer than those crppy potenzas that are on there. There was no affroding rims and winter tires and summer tires for me.. One or the ther.. Got a mortgage to pay you know... But I have to say that I am pleased with their performance and look.
[/b]

they may be short lived, but definitely not crappy. All max performance summer only tires have a short treadlife - gotta pay to play if you want good tires. Have fun with the crappy all seasons.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they may be short lived, but definitely not crappy. All max performance summer only tires have a short treadlife - gotta pay to play if you want good tires. Have fun with the crappy all seasons.
[/b]
I agree completely - hence my first post as to same brand/model replacement tires - just a bit bigger.

I have no need for all-seasons here - we only have one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts