Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Girls
I have question about the PSI on the tires the stock MAZDASPEED 6 has. I searched the Mazdaspeed6 section didnt find anything. I just got back from a fire call and checked my PSI after driving for like 10 mins and the reading was 47 PSI! The dealership must have filled it that high. I know its suppose to be at 38, but with the winter I brought it down to 41 for over the next few months it will probally go down 1psi a month with the cold. Is this okay, and should the PSI have been that high off the bat?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
372 Posts
That was too high. IIRC they should be no higher than 42 psi when hot. It's best to check your tire pressures when they are cold. Keep in mind that the pressure will vary with outside air temp (Boyle's Law? P=VT or some such, college was too long ago!). It's a good idea to check your pressures once a week to extend the life of your tires, keep your mileage up and for your own safety.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was too high. IIRC they should be no higher than 42 psi when hot. It's best to check your tire pressures when they are cold. Keep in mind that the pressure will vary with outside air temp (Boyle's Law? P=VT or some such, college was too long ago!). It's a good idea to check your pressures once a week to extend the life of your tires, keep your mileage up and for your own safety.
[/b]
THX, I figured it was...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Guys and Girls
I have question about the PSI on the tires the stock MAZDASPEED 6 has. I searched the Mazdaspeed6 section didnt find anything. I just got back from a fire call and checked my PSI after driving for like 10 mins and the reading was 47 PSI! The dealership must have filled it that high. I know its suppose to be at 38, but with the winter I brought it down to 41 for over the next few months it will probally go down 1psi a month with the cold. Is this okay, and should the PSI have been that high off the bat?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
[/b]
Try this link. It is pretty good general info. Your tire pressure should not be in excess of 42 psi after mild driving or 44 psi after highway driving, if you set the pressure at 38 psi when ambient (70 degrees f).
:drive:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try this link. It is pretty good general info. Your tire pressure should not be in excess of 42 psi after mild driving or 44 psi after highway driving, if you set the pressure at 38 psi when ambient (70 degrees f).
:drive:
[/b]
What link would that be?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I use nitrogen to fill my tires, you won't see the increase in pressure when heated.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use nitrogen to fill my tires, you won't see the increase in pressure when heated.
[/b]

why would you not see an increase in pressure? It's still a gas, and it's still heating up. If this were the case wouldn't all race teams for any sort of motorsport use nitrogen?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/b]
where do you go to fill your car with nitrogen, doesnt nitrogen heat up when pressured into things like tanks... ect...?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
why would you not see an increase in pressure? It's still a gas, and it's still heating up. If this were the case wouldn't all race teams for any sort of motorsport use nitrogen?
[/b]

Maybe you should research some more about the subject before stating such blatant ignorance.

where do you go to fill your car with nitrogen, doesnt nitrogen heat up when pressured into things like tanks... ect...?
[/b]

I believe you can fill up your tires with nitrogen at designated fill stations. I've seen them at Costco.

As for question 2, read up some about using nitrogen in tires.

An NO it doesn't expand as much as regular air (02), it's far more predictable. Nor does it permiate through the tire nearly as much as good old air does. In quick summary: doesn't expand much under heat, more predictable, and stays in the tire.

I'm leaving out more, but those are the main two.

What does F1 use in their tires? How about most long haul commerical trucks? Gokart racing? Airplanes? NASA vehicles? Nascar? -- Nitrogen

·
Registered
413 Posts
Please don't instigate a flame war and do get back on topic.
[/b]
Please do mind your own business . .and as for getting back on topic? Tire pressure?? lol, no thanks. Do you really need a thread to tell people to check their tire pressure?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Please do mind your own business . .and as for getting back on topic? Tire pressure?? lol, no thanks. Do you really need a thread to tell people to check their tire pressure?
[/b]
Like you had any business in this thread in the first place, troll? Or any other thread, for that matter. :sarc:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts