Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I have read that a lot of people don't think that dropping in a new aftermarket sub in the stock opening is a good solution. I have amped my stock bose sub and it has lasted and suited my taste (pretty much) for more than 4 years. I noticed last night that the sub is starting to blat at medium volume. Not really bad, but it was enough that i went into the trunk to hear it better & it is there.

My question is this: is there anyone that has done this and been sataified?

I have read a handful of posts talking about this, but have not found anything conclusive. Also, I read something on removing the gille and carpet on the back deck, but it included disabling the air bags. this was a long time ago and I can't find it now. besided, it all of that really necessary?

To avert any questions as to why I want to do this... I am 33 yrs old and use my trunk... all of it for family vacations. I don't need to be heard coming down the street, just more than that joke of an amp that Bose tried to pawn off on the 6 community. If it pushed 10W rms, i would be surprised...

I would consider doing some cutting to get a 10" in or making a plate for an 8". Anything will perform circles around the stock. I do worry about too much more sound at the expense of rattling. This has stopped me from upping the gain on my aftermarket amp.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't have an answer, but rather a question. Did you keep all your stock factory speakers and woofer, and threw in a different amplifier?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, that is correct. All stock except for the amp to the bose sub. First mod I did to the car... Jan of 03... 1st weekend into ownership. i have always thought it was a fairly good sounding, well balanced system that just needed a little umph to the low end.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Interesting... I am not happy with my Bose system either, since it lacks in the low range. I was going to get a JL W7 and have that for when I am not riding with the family on... but what amp did u use to get nice how bass from the stock Bose sub?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but what amp did u use to get nice how bass from the stock Bose sub?
[/b]
I used an MTX Thunder 4122. I have had it for about 6 years & it drove a JL 8" in a bandpass for my del sol. It is a pretty cheap 2 channel with mono capability. I originally bought it because it had a speaker line input (no RCA necessary). It would use the signal from the inputs to be the remote turn on (usually from the power antenna lead). I wouldn't have to tap into the fusebox. It worked fine on the Del Sol I had, but not for the 6. So, I had to get some cheap jensen (I despise jensen, but it was cheap) line to RCA converter with gain controls. I tapped into the speaker wires AFTER the bose "amp" because i could not get a strong enough signal from the signal going into the bose "amp." You will have limits on what the bose sub will be able to do without distorting or shaking the back deck to the point that it rattles. Usually, that is good enough for me. I am sure this is not a clean setup, but bass is not a precision sound. I am still running the stock bose speaker setup everywhere else and I think that gives enough definition to the bass accuracy, just use the amped sub for depth. Also, I listen to a lot of full range music (rock, some rap - chevelle, audioslave, Korn). It does a pretty good job on that. If you are looking for it to perform like a "rap" sub and hear it coming down the street... it ain't going to happen.

I have only had touble with the amp cutting out once. It is mounted on the sidewall of the trunk (behind the driver side tail light, by the fuel tank). I was running on the interstate with windows open in 90 degree weather. it was cranked quite loud & I think I overheated the amp (luggage, hot weather, closed space, pushing it pretty hard). That was the most extreme conditions & it failed, but i wasn't surprised.

I appreciate the conversation and am happy to help others out, but does anyone have information or a link on how to remove the material from the back deck to get access to the speaker mounts?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Odd that no one would have replied to your question, since I would think you're not the only one to have done something like this...
Did you try a search in the forum...or change the thread title maybe....

On a further note, do you think you may be able to help me out with a brief writeup of what you did exactly, since it is 100% what I've been meaning to do since I got my 6 :p

EDIT:
Also, you can try to post in the Interior Modifications forum. Those guys hack up the insides, so they may have a better answer as to how you can gain access...

·
Registered
412 Posts
i don't think you can use any old sub in the trunk, as they all have reccommended box sizes. You would have to go with something that is suited for free-air application, which makes things much more complicated to get good sound.

Probably one of the reasons there are so many complaints about the bose sub as well is that it was not designed for proper use.. a sub will always sound crappy in the wrong enclosure.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
You are going to need to find a good sub to run properly with "infinite baffle" and of course 2 Ohm. There are some out there. But any sub will sound much better enclosed some how. I thought about doing this and enclosing it by building a light weight box attached under the rear deck. But I just bought a 2 Ohm stable Infinity Kappa Perfect 10DVQ and a box for the trunk and she hits nice and tight with the hole created from taking the stock sub out. But I do think this sub can handle infinite baffle. Check it out.
Also if you want I can send you my stock sub if you pay shipping and $20 for labor. It was in the car 1.5 months and it in perfect condition.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
You are going to need to find a good sub to run properly with "infinite baffle" and of course 2 Ohm. There are some out there. But any sub will sound much better enclosed some how. I thought about doing this and enclosing it by building a light weight box attached under the rear deck. But I just bought a 2 Ohm stable Infinity Kappa Perfect 10DVQ and a box for the trunk and she hits nice and tight with the hole created from taking the stock sub out. But I do think this sub can handle infinite baffle. Check it out.
Also if you want I can send you my stock sub if you pay shipping and $20 for labor. It was in the car 1.5 months and it in perfect condition.
[/b]
Correct me if I am wrong but, do you really need the 2 ohm sub? Unless you are planning on using a 2 ohm amp (as I assume super6s has), couldn't you buy whatever amp you want and get a matching sub?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but, do you really need the 2 ohm sub? Unless you are planning on using a 2 ohm amp (as I assume super6s has), couldn't you buy whatever amp you want and get a matching sub?
[/b]
That's correct. I assume we're all talking about the Bose system. The door speakers are driven off a Bose amp, and are 2 ohm speakers, so should be replaced with 2 ohm speakers (but having said that I used 4 ohm Infinity's). The Bose sub has it's own built-in amp, so when you discard the Bose sub you discard the sub amp as well, so you'll need to put in both a sub and a sub amp. You can choose whichever amp and sub you want, and match the impedance as required. Please keep in mind that power rating doesn't really tell you how loud a sub plays compared to another sub (or speakers in general). It's the sensitivity rating that determines this. A sub rated at 90dB will play noticeably louder at the same power level as a sub rated at 85dB.

I'm not sure what year your car is, but on my '06 Speed6 I had to take quite a bit of stuff off to get the rear deck cover off. Off the top of my head, I had to remove:
1. Rubber trim edging on rear opening of door frame
2. Door sills (these clip in, there is a certain sequence to disengaging the clips to properly remove them; I posted in another thread how to do it, search for door sill but it might be in another forum, like Interior Mods)
3. Trim panel on each side of the rear seat backs
4. Panels on inside of C pillar (on each side of the rear window). No disabling of airbags needed (pry out the cover that says airbag, it exposes a screw underneath)
5. Clips and screws holding forward edge of rear deck cover.

Then work rear deck out by lifting up the forward edge and then pulling forward (away from rear window) to disengage the rear hooks at the back edge that engage the rear deck. It was a bit of work to get it off. Other people with earlier versions of the Mazda6 supposedly can take out the rear deck without removing the upper side panels. On my car they overlap onto the rear deck, preventing it from being lifted up to disengage the rear hooks. Be sure to properly re-engage these hooks when reinstalling, otherwise the deck cover will never fit properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a further note, do you think you may be able to help me out with a brief writeup of what you did exactly, since it is 100% what I've been meaning to do since I got my 6 :p
[/b]
It has been nearly 4 years since I did the conversion, so I am very rusty on the process, but others have pinned the process (sorry). It wasn't exactly what I did, but i am sure it worked.

Thanks UASF for the offer on the old stock sub. That is a very fair price and it is greatly appreciated. I may take you up on it someday, but don't hold your breath for me. I may never get around to doing anything with this. The distortion is faint, but it is there. It isn't unbearable, and I like to plan projects for a long time before doing them.

for all:
One thing I did do was complain to Mazda corporate about the quality of the sub. I compared it to the sub that in my inlaw's Bose in their Maxima (which runs circles around the 6 setup). I complained about the cost for the premium upgrade sound system for little reward...wrote a letter and everything. They sent me 2 - $50 coupons for service. Kind of helped to pay for the amp and labor. The only down side is that each coupon had to be used at one time (if you had a $25 oil change... turn in the $50 coupon). luckily, we have two mazdas and the dealership let me put both oilchnges on one ticket.. take that corporate!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts