Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone could tell me the stock spring rates for my 2005 Mazda 6 Sportwagon, I have a feeling they might be the same to or pretty close to the Mazda 6 sedan but I'm not sure (I don't even know what those would be either). I'm thinking about getting new coilovers (to be used for daily driving) so I was wanting to know the which spring rates to use to make it stiffer but still good for daily driving. Also any opinions on brands of coilovers would be appreciated thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,439 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I forget the exact rates for OEM but here's an awesome post with the different rates of aftermarket ones. Just be advised that you must get Wagon-Specific springs to account for the additional weight in the back or the car will sag.

·
Rally Racer
2,815 Posts
Just wondering if anyone could tell me the stock spring rates for my 2005 Mazda 6 Sportwagon, I have a feeling they might be the same to or pretty close to the Mazda 6 sedan but I'm not sure (I don't even know what those would be either). I'm thinking about getting new coilovers (to be used for daily driving) so I was wanting to know the which spring rates to use to make it stiffer but still good for daily driving. Also any opinions on brands of coilovers would be appreciated thanks.
Hello, they are not the same. You will sag in the rear. It can be done with spacers or mix and match springs.
@hurddawg has done this with coil-overs and I believe it took more than one try.
I have done it with replacement springs and eventually had to order rears from Australia.

Wrong Racing Beat Springs Ordered

It is not just the rate but length of spring. The 9 lb/in difference equated to an extra 1"+ of drop and the rear was not handling bumps well, too much movement.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I ended up with coilover springs for a speed6 in the rear of my wagon. Not 100% where I'd like but much better than the regular sedan offering.

@DrFeelGood is right it is not just the spring rate but the free length of the spring is important. That is the problem I believe with my speed6 fitment, the spring is a bit shorter than it should be although the spring rate is higher.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
For the coilovers I'd recommend to go with BC Racing btw. Those are based around the speed6 so they work with the wagon better. I have mine at the highest height setting in the rear to prevent the sagging.

Looks like ST Suspensions (KW owns them) is still offering Wagon specific coilovers available through tirerack and other places. I originally purchased those but did not like how to set them up and I went with Fortune autos with BC racing coilover rear springs.

Reactions: DrFeelGood
1 - 5 of 5 Posts