Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently bought an 06 Mazda 6I with the stock stereo system. Im not a big fan of it at all. The bass seems to distort the music and the music just isnt loud enough or have the wuality im looking for. What would you guys recomend as a replacement sound system and where can I find it? Thanks.
-Ben

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
How much are you willing to spend?

"upgrading" can be as simple as changing the stock speakers to adding new unit, speakers, amp, subwoofer, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, I hope you get a few other replies, but for that much i would suggest getting a decent amp/sub as well as replacing speakers. I would start with the front tweeters and door panels and if you have any leftover money replace the rear speakers. If you wanted to add your system over time and spend a little more, what you could do is get a new Head Unit and a sub and amp for now. That will let you turn down the bass on the speakers to improve clarity. After some time you could replace all your speakers and even get another amp for them eventually.
--Shadd

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well, I can tell you on the non-bose stock system I just "finished" upgrading my system. I had put Pioneer 6x8's in the front (left the tweeters alone... should probably change those sometime) and then 6x8's in the back and realized it sounded like ass... so I just put in an amp to power the whole shebang. The Kenwood amp I got cost me 150, and the speakers about 65-75 each from Best Buy (yea yea ripped off, but I'm going to put more powerful ones in later to match the RMS of the amp, and get them off the net). I also got an LOC and RCA audio cable, but didn't know my amp had speaker level inputs and therefore wasted 60 extra bucks between the two.

All in all it sounds much better, and I saved myself at least 200 in installation costs by doing it myself. Higher RMS rated speakers will give me even more clarity with bass too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im also highly considering replacing the stock system in my 04 m6s not completly positive what to buy though. The guys ive talked to have recommened alpine everything any other sugesstions?? Im willing to spend around 1800 bucks.. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I didn't think the stock system was too bad. I got the Bose in my 06 only because I wanted a sunroof and they come with both only.

I am still thinking about adding iPod or Satellite radio to mine, but not decided yet. I think remote start will come before SAT does.. ;)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I will be adding a 4 channel amp to my stock speakers, and then add an amp and a 10 for bass. Later I will replace my stock speakers for Eclipses or Alpines.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The stock system isnt too good. I replace stock system with Pioneer deck and I plan to replace new speakers and amp for my car soon.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
to the guy on the alpine, there are much better brands for the $. the best alpine speakers IMO other than the F1 knock off scanspeak comps are the type X comps from last year.

to the OP, with 800 bucks you could do a lot. I myself am dropping 1100 but that is for helix 6.5"s comps up front and 6.5" coaxials in the rear doors, 2 12"s and an audison 4 channel and sub amp. At 800 it depends on the year/model 6 you have as the speaker size varies i think. if you have 6.5" coaxial/componet speaker locations factory, i'd say get alpine type x componets or kenwood kfc p707's. either set is under 200 online, under 120 for the kenwoods if you know how to look. that leaves you 600 for rear coaxial speakers(not needed replace/use those if you have left over $ IMO). buy something along the lines of a jl w3 if you want more known brand or even a type r 10/12 or an Image dynamics ID 10/12 depending on the bass you want. most important is a solid deck which will run you 250-350(i prefer pioneer others prefer alpine all depends on taste, need, and preference). So the comps say 175, deck 275, sub 100ish that puts you at 550. with 250 for amps you can find a nice 400-500w sub amp and possibly a solid 2 channel for the comps. i'd recommend looking at us acoustics(not great but cheap and decent), older jbl stuff on ebay is very cheap but good.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
to the guy on the alpine, there are much better brands for the $. the best alpine speakers IMO other than the F1 knock off scanspeak comps are the type X comps from last year.

to the OP, with 800 bucks you could do a lot. I myself am dropping 1100 but that is for helix 6.5"s comps up front and 6.5" coaxials in the rear doors, 2 12"s and an audison 4 channel and sub amp. At 800 it depends on the year/model 6 you have as the speaker size varies i think. if you have 6.5" coaxial/componet speaker locations factory, i'd say get alpine type x componets or kenwood kfc p707's. either set is under 200 online, under 120 for the kenwoods if you know how to look. that leaves you 600 for rear coaxial speakers(not needed replace/use those if you have left over $ IMO). buy something along the lines of a jl w3 if you want more known brand or even a type r 10/12 or an Image dynamics ID 10/12 depending on the bass you want. most important is a solid deck which will run you 250-350(i prefer pioneer others prefer alpine all depends on taste, need, and preference). So the comps say 175, deck 275, sub 100ish that puts you at 550. with 250 for amps you can find a nice 400-500w sub amp and possibly a solid 2 channel for the comps. i'd recommend looking at us acoustics(not great but cheap and decent), older jbl stuff on ebay is very cheap but good.
[/b]

Me n U are on the same level of systems my friend, I can't believe guys in here have even thought about putting Pioneer speakers in the doors as well as Kenwood. Our doors ar built to handle some REALLY good speakers! The shape of the door trims are amazing compared to other cars. I'll be putting JL Audio Coaxials all around with 2 8" Resonant comp subs wired to .5 ohms, on a Dimond Audio amp....all for $1600.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Me n U are on the same level of systems my friend, I can't believe guys in here have even thought about putting Pioneer speakers in the doors as well as Kenwood. Our doors ar built to handle some REALLY good speakers! The shape of the door trims are amazing compared to other cars. I'll be putting JL Audio Coaxials all around with 2 8" Resonant comp subs wired to .5 ohms, on a Dimond Audio amp....all for $1600.
[/b]
i'm only spending a grand but that's b/c i am getting all of my stuff at sponsorhip cost.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I didn't think the stock system was too bad. I got the Bose in my 06 only because I wanted a sunroof and they come with both only.

I am still thinking about adding iPod or Satellite radio to mine, but not decided yet. I think remote start will come before SAT does.. ;)
[/b]
I used audio link to put my ipod in with the bose system (mounted on the dashboard, not the center armrest), it's loud enough for me, although i am going to dynamat the trunk and doors in the near future

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do I go about finding this equipment. If someone could post the pieces of the system they bought and the a site where they got each thatd be a big help. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello All,

My first post.

I purchased an 06 V6 loaded, with the Bose system.

I have the SAT button and want to get the reciever that is Mazda compatable so I can
use my Sirius subscription in the car.

Anyone know the manufacturer or product name, model number to install??

Thanks..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts