Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stock navi screen making noises over bumps(("FIXED"))

Is anyone experiencing this....I have a stock navigation unit in my car and when I go over medium to large bumps the whole units starts to creek and rattle. It's very annoying. I think someday I will start to investigate the whole until and see if I can do something to stop all the noise.

PS....has anyone taken apart the navi unit from the map pocket?

Reactions: Arinzeuno

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mine does the same, only when it's open.
I'm not sure what can be done, I think it's the gears that open/close the screen.
Let me know what you find when you open it.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine does the same, only when it's open.
I'm not sure what can be done, I think it's the gears that open/close the screen.
Let me know what you find when you open it.
Yep, only when it's open and it does sound like it's coming from the gears.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mine too. Noise seems to come from the cover behind the screen that becomes the dash when it's closed. If I put any pressure on it, the noise stops.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mazda should have a TSB for it, if we all have the same problem.
Fix = new screens w/ rear camera. :) Even if they can't get rid of the noise.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Me tooooo :)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just need to find a nice thin blade to get underneither that black cover without damaging it. If I mess it up and put a scratch on it...it will be a eye sore and piss me off when I see it. I might be able to find some dental instruments(I'm in the dental field) thin enough to pop them up without damage.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Never heard of this problem... does it help if you try tilting the nav screen in different positions? there are 3 different positions in can be open in, iirc

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try to investigate this Friday when I have the day off from work. I will take pics.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Mine rattles when closed and open, not all the time though. I do have upgraded motor mounts so I have more vibes than most.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone's do pop sounds as it's opening? Mine does.
Nope. It doesn't make any noises when closed. I didn't have time to mess with the navi screen this weekend, sorry guys. Hopefully this week.....I have all the different tools(thin metal dental mixing spatulas) to carefully pop open the plastic covers to see where the sounds are coming from.

Reactions: MPSdriver

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here you go guy....I finally work on the car tonight and took pictures. This is what I found out. It seems like you have to remove the center console trim(radio and HVAC), then you will have to remove the info display and lastly remove the bolts on top of the map pocket to get to the screen. The trim cover comes off pretty easy. It does help to have the right tool. As you can see in the 6th pic that there is a felt pad that helps with vibration and creaking. Someday when I feel like taking the radio out I will try to investagate more.

Lastly.....the last pic is a trim cover(center console, side cover plate) I hated the most!! I just had to take a pic. It's very tough to pop out when trying to remove and not cause damage to it. I had to remove it to do the TWM STS. My new tools will make this easier now.

Attachments

Reactions: MPSdriver

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update.....!!!

"Update"
I was bored and decided to tackle this job for reals. LOL

I took the center dash apart to get to the navi unit. No one has taken apart the navi unit before, but I was able to find a couple of page from the workshop manual on how to get the navi unit out. This is very easy to take apart.

So what I did to help reduce the sound from the unit when I hit bumps while driving was to install 2 felt pads on the unit. The felt pads from the factory weren't doing anything because they were too thin and didn't even touch the motorized unit screen. I haven't driven the car yet since doing this band-aid, but i will tomorrow and will see if it has cured my problem :cool:

Attachments

Reactions: TiGraySpeed6

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Nice job D! :thumbup:

This will be helpful to the folks with navi as the Speed6's get older and more rattle prone.

Have to say tho, this is yet another reason why I'm happy (read: overmotherfuckingjoyed!) to not have the stock nav system :) If for no other reason than my phone/ google nav maps are up to date...

Reactions: daztd

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More info to save you time. Read below.

Here's another method to save you a lot of time to solve this problem with a noisy navigation unit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts