Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can one watch a DVD movie on the Mazda 6 / Speed6 DVD navigation unit? is it possible to watch while driving? i know that cadillac has a code one enters to do that, wondering if that is possible in the mazda ... thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. You have to get an aftermarket adapter.

therpmstore.com
[/b]
so using the aftermarket adapter will allow me to play DVD's on the nav screen using the stock Navi DVD palyer? where do i get the adapter?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
wow....just wow...

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
so using the aftermarket adapter will allow me to play DVD's on the nav screen using the stock Navi DVD palyer? where do i get the adapter?
[/b]
Did you manage to actually go to the link that I provided, or was that too difficult?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you manage to actually go to the link that I provided, or was that too difficult?
[/b]
i took a look. there were 2 different adapters they had for sale. the descriptions were rather vague. hence my additional inquiry. [i am assuming that the adapter is essentially just a video input adapter that lets me use an additional external DVD player to use the navi screen and play DVDs to that screen. not quite what i was looking for, but ... ] anyone have the maintenance manual for the navi system? maybe there is some sort of a test menu that allows it to read regular dvd's. seems that a DVD player should be able to decode any dvd software, but that there might be a software block in the navi unit (that might be able to be unlocked) so that one could watch a DVD on the nav screen ...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Basically, you can't do what you're trying to do. The DVD-ROM drive in the trunk only reads DVD-ROM navigation discs. I does not read DVD video discs. (Even if it could, there's no way to play/pause, ff, rew, choose menu items like special features, audio options, etc.) Add to that that the NAV audio outputs only to the front driver's side speaker, and that will not provide a very good DVD watching experience anyway.

The AV adapters sold on therpmstore.com allows you to connect an additional (you buy it, you install it) video source such as a PS2, portable DVD player, laptop with S-video or composite video out, etc. The lower-priced adapter has only 1 video input. The more expensive one has I think 3 or 4, including an S-video input, and an RF remote that allows you to choose which video source to display.

You'll also need some kind of audio aux input, such as the Sylfex AuxMod or the Audio Link in order to pipe sound from your portable DVD player to the audio system.

This is the only way to view DVD videos on your stock NAV display.

When I get enough $$ saved up, I intend to install a Mac Mini in the glove box to use as my mobile theater.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Basically, you can't do what you're trying to do. The DVD-ROM drive in the trunk only reads DVD-ROM navigation discs. I does not read DVD video discs. (Even if it could, there's no way to play/pause, ff, rew, choose menu items like special features, audio options, etc.) Add to that that the NAV audio outputs only to the front driver's side speaker, and that will not provide a very good DVD watching experience anyway.

The AV adapters sold on therpmstore.com allows you to connect an additional (you buy it, you install it) video source such as a PS2, portable DVD player, laptop with S-video or composite video out, etc. The lower-priced adapter has only 1 video input. The more expensive one has I think 3 or 4, including an S-video input, and an RF remote that allows you to choose which video source to display.

You'll also need some kind of audio aux input, such as the Sylfex AuxMod or the Audio Link in order to pipe sound from your portable DVD player to the audio system.

This is the only way to view DVD videos on your stock NAV display.

When I get enough $$ saved up, I intend to install a Mac Mini in the glove box to use as my mobile theater.
[/b]

Ding Ding Ding, get this man a beer!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts