Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you've got one to trade and willing to pay shipping both ways I have one for free. I just need one to put on the car when I get rid of it since I'm taking my raceseng one with me. My zip code is 21904.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
703 Posts
If you're having trouble finding an OEM shift knob, here are some nice options:

Expensive, but very nice and rare 6 speed RX-8 ROTARY SPIRIT shift knob:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-MAZDA-RX-8-OEM-GENUINE-SPIRIT-R-SHIFT-KNOB-6-SPEED-RED-STITCHING-/291932813360

Shift knob from a 2016 Miata:

2016 Mazda MX-5 Shift Knob - The News Wheel

I've also attached two more pictures of some Honda Type R style shift knobs. I have used one of those before in a Mitsubishi Lancer and found that it really helped improve shifter feel and made the shift throws feel positively shorter and more notchy. Would be a great addition to Mazda's already great manual transmission if you really enjoy driving manual. Just throwing some ideas at you.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're having trouble finding an OEM shift knob, here are some nice options:

Expensive, but very nice and rare 6 speed RX-8 ROTARY SPIRIT shift knob:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-MAZDA-RX-8-OEM-GENUINE-SPIRIT-R-SHIFT-KNOB-6-SPEED-RED-STITCHING-/291932813360

Shift knob from a 2016 Miata:

2016 Mazda MX-5 Shift Knob - The News Wheel

I've also attached two more pictures of some Honda Type R style shift knobs. I have used one of those before in a Mitsubishi Lancer and found that it really helped improve shifter feel and made the shift throws feel positively shorter and more notchy. Would be a great addition to Mazda's already great manual transmission if you really enjoy driving manual. Just throwing some ideas at you.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking to replace the shift knob in my manual Miata, and trying to find something that matches aesthetically, has the correct pattern, and doesn't get too hot here in the TX heat. I've looked at a lot of options but I think the OEM one on the 3rd gen Mazda 6 is my favorite since it fills all those requirements and shouldn't be impossible to find. I like the ND miata shift knob, but the aluminum (or whatever it is) on top would turn into a branding iron and the red stitching wouldn't match my interior color.

The RX-8 one is kinda cool, but the metal and cost are a dealbreaker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you've got one to trade and willing to pay shipping both ways I have one for free. I just need one to put on the car when I get rid of it since I'm taking my raceseng one with me. My zip code is 21904.

PM'd. Also, I have a OnePlus 3T!

·
Banned
703 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking to replace the shift knob in my manual Miata, and trying to find something that matches aesthetically, has the correct pattern, and doesn't get too hot here in the TX heat. I've looked at a lot of options but I think the OEM one on the 3rd gen Mazda 6 is my favorite since it fills all those requirements and shouldn't be impossible to find. I like the ND miata shift knob, but the aluminum (or whatever it is) on top would turn into a branding iron and the red stitching wouldn't match my interior color.

The RX-8 one is kinda cool, but the metal and cost are a dealbreaker.
For your Miata you want a short/stubby, notchy little shifter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For your Miata you want a short/stubby, notchy little shifter.
Do you think the 3rd gen Mazda 6 shifter has too long a throw? It's a daily driver, so sacrificing a bit of the shortness of throw in exchange for a nice quality feel and not burning myself is definitely worth it to me. Obviously, I don't want a massive truck shifter, but it doesn't have to be super-short throw.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not seeing any private messages. Maybe I can't receive yet or you can't send them yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not seeing any private messages. Maybe I can't receive yet or you can't send them yet?

Just remembered, you need 15 posts to PM (yeah, it's a pain, haha). Maybe keep commenting on this thread until you hit 15? Not sure if you can get in trouble for that. Otherwise you can bump other people's classifieds. I'd send you my email or phone number but can't PM... :wacko:

·
Banned
703 Posts
Do you think the 3rd gen Mazda 6 shifter has too long a throw? It's a daily driver, so sacrificing a bit of the shortness of throw in exchange for a nice quality feel and not burning myself is definitely worth it to me. Obviously, I don't want a massive truck shifter, but it doesn't have to be super-short throw.
Unfortunately I have never sat in a manual Mazda 6 so I wouldn't know, but the shifter is taller than whatever you would find in a Miata. I don't think the throws would be optimal and it would look out of place. Honestly I would just suggest scouring amazon and ebay, lots of options to choose from.

For me, a nice quality feel IS a short throw notchy little shifter. In my Mitsubishi Lancer changing to one of those metal notchy little Honda Type R shifts was a super satisfying upgrade to the shifting feel. Sucks those metal shifters aren't very temperature friendly though, because the weight and the way it feels in your hand (when it's not burning or freezing you) Is great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately I have never sat in a manual Mazda 6 so I wouldn't know, but the shifter is taller than whatever you would find in a Miata. I don't think the throws would be optimal and it would look out of place. Honestly I would just suggest scouring amazon and ebay, lots of options to choose from.

For me, a nice quality feel IS a short throw notchy little shifter. In my Mitsubishi Lancer changing to one of those metal notchy little Honda Type R shifts was a super satisfying upgrade to the shifting feel. Sucks those metal shifters aren't very temperature friendly though, because the weight and the way it feels in your hand (when it's not burning or freezing you) Is great.
Yeah, I haven't swapped shift knobs from OEM before, so I'm not sure how I'll find the difference. I'm not planning on paying a whole lot for whatever I get unless I know I'll be 100% satisfied with it. Might just get a few and see what I like the most, this one just stuck out to me. Some of the Racesengs look nice, but I'll be doing more research before spending $100 on a shift knob...

I have access to milling machinery, so I might end up making my own and leather wrapping it if I can't find something I'm happy with. I appreciate the input and advice though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts