Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: In a transverse mounted motor (like ours) the rear motor mount is responsible for the "flex" of the motor when you hit the gas (if you've ever looked at the motor when someone revs the engine you can see it rotate). So if it is stiffened then there will be less latency between hitting the gas and torque applied to the wheels.

Seeing the cost of aftermarket Rear Motor Mounts (RMM) I started wondering if there was a simpler way.
So I opted to stiffen the stock RMM, which is constructed of soft rubber with gaps and can be flexed by hand!
Process: (1) jack up car, (2) support motor, e.g. jack with plywood under oil pan, (3) remove RMM, (4) fill all gaps in RMM with polyurethane, (5) wait to fully cure, (6) put RMM back in, (7) enjoy less latency when stabbing the gas :p

*note1: NVH will be increased, depending on how much stiffer it is (see reviews of the aftermarket RMM talking about NVH).
*note2: I just grabbed some tough looking polyurethane from Home Depot, in retrospect maybe should have tested it first, as it is very stiff. Even though it's so stiff I don't notice too much increased NVH. It may be because there is still soft rubber encased in the harder polyurethane that is dissipating some of the NVH. Either way, it seems like less NVH than is described from the aftermarket RMM.

Auto part Auto part Vehicle Car Bumper Rim Alloy wheel
Auto part
Auto part

Reactions: fernando8877

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Could have just used clear silicone too. Been a trick of the DSM crowd for many years, usually on collapsed ones. But, that sucks cause i was gonna machine Delrin plugs to replace the rubber, thanks for the pic so i know i cant just replace the center :( Although, maybe i can just replace it with a Delrin bar... hmm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts