Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that the sport automatic shifter sticks on downshifts and I have to manually pull it back to center. I asked my dealer about it and he said to wait until my first oil change to see if it is still sticking then. But, he also said that the other ones he has driven did not stick. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: Sticky shifter

Moved to Engine/Drivetrain. Bantha, please try to post your threads in the appropriate sections next time, ok? :)

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Never had that problem and I use the manual side a good bit, I just have the problem of downshifting at the wrong time.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I test drove a 6 that had that very problem. I don't like the feel of Mazda auto/manual lever.
Yes, the lever did stick on my test drivea and would not return unless I returned it, just so you know. :)

Tome

·
Registered
837 Posts

Hey, I just picked up my M6 just this Saturday and found that my sportshift stick stick on the downshift as well. It is much smoother on the upshift. I will use it as much as possible to see if it will wear down a bit. Otherwise I will mentioned it to the dealers when I bring it in on the first checkup.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Sticky shifter'

i don't have that problem. my "problem" is that i'll put it in manual mode, and forget at some point. "WHY WON'T IT SHIFT INTO SECOND?!?"

yeah, i know - duhh. :sarc

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

oh ignore my last post....

yeah i have the same thing.....kinda just get stuck in the middle from downshift to the center

i haven't use or pay attention to the manutronics until now..was waiting till i had 1000km on my car.

·
Registered
117 Posts

My lever sticks just a bit on downshifts (but I don't have to manually put it back -- it sort of moves back to the center on its own with a small delay). The upshifts don't have this delay at all.

I've noticed another weird problem: no matter how hard I try to upshift it will stay in first gear unless the engine has more than 2200 rpms.

Has anybody else noticed that too?

·
Registered
837 Posts

mdb_int, are you sure about your problem. Getting out of 1st is the easiest thing to do. You can even start in 2nd if you wish. Wait a minute, I noticed you have an I4???? Hmmmmm, I wonder if that is the characteristic of an I4 because of its low torque plus the transmission box only has 4 gears.

Downshifts is stickier than upshifts but it does not actually stick in that position. It does go back to the center but I admit a little slower than I would like. But I have adapted to it. I just assist it a bit to get it back to the center. My hand never leave the stick anyway (only if my girl is next will I leave the stick in D) :p.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I finally asked the dealer to fix the shifter because it kept getting worse. He was very good about it and gave the a loaner for the day. When I asked why it was sticky he said that this sometimes happens when people spill drinks on it. As though he was accusing me. I politely informed him that it was sticky the day I bought it and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he still hasn't heard this complaint from anyone else. Regardless, it shifts great now.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

ok i showed it to a service guy about the shifter and i show it in person and he concur there was somethign wrong with it

so we go back and the service guy told the manager about it so the manager comes back and says that is normal

WTF.....he told me to read the manual and it says on there that it would lag WTF this isn't lag the shifter is STICKY!!!!! if i had the manual in hand i woulda thrown it at his face

so he asssures me he put some lubrication on the shifter

fine! next i told him about my suspension noise on my rear and told him about the trunk shocks
he say he won't order the part based on a person post and he wants to see it in person he already took a drive on my car and he say he heard nothing

*vents*
i have appt in 2weeks with courtesy car if none of the issues are fixed..i'm changing dealership
*vents*

:attack
thx for reading this far...time to get back to werk
:hammerhea :hammerhea

1 - 13 of 13 Posts