Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the dash on the passenger side has been sticky the past few months. It's almost like soda got spilled on it which I know hasn't happened. The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with oils or whatever is in the material that part of the dash is made of. Does anybody else have this problem. Any idea why it might be getting sticky?

It is kept in the garage with the windows up whenever I'm home.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I've noticed the dash on the passenger side has been sticky the past few months. It's almost like soda got spilled on it which I know hasn't happened. The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with oils or whatever is in the material that part of the dash is made of. Does anybody else have this problem. Any idea why it might be getting sticky?

It is kept in the garage with the windows up whenever I'm home.
Try spraying it down with 3M Adhesive Remover ( found at Home Depot, Lowes etc.) This aerosol is AMAZING. If this does not fix your "sticky" dash... (insert dirty joke here) than there is a MAJOR problem going on.
Any pictures to help diagnose?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not really visible. The reason I noticed it is because I was trying to wipe the dust off wipe with a microfiber cloth and noticed it was hard to wipe off. Then the lint from the cloth was stuck all over. I felt it with my hand and it was sticky. Do you think that 3M stuff will ruin the dash? Any idea what to possibly use a protectant after using the 3M stuff? I usually use Armor All wipes.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Do you think that 3M stuff will ruin the dash? Any idea what to possibly use a protectant after using the 3M stuff? I usually use Armor All wipes.
No, it is made from a citrus base so it is totally safe. I usually wipe my dash down with Armor All or Meguiar's spray every week or so to keep it clean.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. I think it might be done for. I rubbed part of it with my finger. The tip of my finger turned black and the small spot I rubbed now has very little texture. Some of it even got scratched off while I was trying to removed the part above the radio to work on the radio. Considering the part is ~$200 here, I might just replace it. It is item 13 in the diagram. Any idea how hard/time consuming that might be to replace? I've replaced AC compressors, leaf springs, front and rear wheels drives clutches, brakes and many other things so this shouldn't be that bad. Plus I also work on aircraft engines.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
yeah, i got my letter last week. i have never noticed if my dash is sticky.

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
10,176 Posts
I haven't had any problem yet either, and yeah, I received a letter this week.

Guess we'll see what happens now...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.