Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all,

does anyone know how the Mazda6 tiptronic differ from the other tiptronic systems?
how do we change up/down properly without hurting any parts? the user manual doesnet talk much about it. and it's hard to find info on the website.

anyone knows?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'stick shift'

I drove a tiptronic and banged it around pretty good. The car never complained. Is it different than other tiptronics? Probably no more than the '6's transmission is from other transmissions.

·
Registered
657 Posts

One main difference, as compared to say, the VW/Audi tiptronic, is that the Mazda will hold the shift, even if it's bouncing off of redline. VW/Audi's will shift for you at the worst possible times, basically killing any performance you would have seen. It's one of the main reasons I decided to go with the Mazda.

·
Registered
17 Posts

That and the fact that you pull back to upshift. Much better than nissan/infiniti which you push up on. Just seems more intuitive.

kev

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Entropism, yes - how could I forget that?

And I agree, tapping down to shift up is much more intuitive [than the reverse].

·
Registered
628 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Entropism, yes - how could I forget that?

And I agree, tapping down to shift up is much more intuitive [than the reverse].[/b]

Man did that f' me up during my first test drive (no sticks) The only other autostick i had driven was a Hyundai which was tap up to shift up. I was like...what? Then I looked down. I think i scared the salesman...

:)

·
Registered
657 Posts

I had the down/up part set when I test drove, but I didn't realise the car doesn't shift for you. So while the salesman was blasting the Bose system, I couldn't hear the engine, and completely bounced off the redline. Salesman didn't care though, everyone in the dealership told me to abuse the crap out of the car.

I think the salesman was a bit disconcerted when I got into the car, didn't say a word until I pulled up to the exit of the dealership, turned to him, and said (in a completely calm and monotone voice) "Today I will be driving very very fast. I suggest you strap yourself in." and proceeded to floor it out of the dealership. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts

My current ride (waiting for the 6) is a Mits Eclipse GT V6 with the sportronic trans. It's a licensed from Porsche design with poor execution as almost ALL manual/auto trannys are. The best torque converter type auto/manual trans is from BMW.
Their system works extremely well as up shifts and downshifts are precise and quick. The Audi/Porsche/Mits and even the Mazda system is still too slow to be very effective at real manual shifts. The systems are still slushbox setups with the inherent delay and "loose" feel. I will say that the Mazda version is better than Mits and Audi. Like the Mits version the Mazda allows you to run to redline and will let you bounce the rev limiter waiting for you to tell it when to shift. It will downshift automatically when coming to a stop. If you must have an automatic, the Mazda auto trans is very nice for an automatic, but don't expect real shifting performance, accuracy, or feel. The slushbox auto/manuals should be ditched in favor of the new Audi "multitronic" trans. One word for that tranny, WOW!
Drive a BMW auto/manual and you'll see why theirs is the best next to the multitronic from Audi.

As far as which way to move the lever to shift, BMW switched this year to the pull back for upshift and push forward for downshift. Mazda, due to using the BMW as it's benchmark, has seen fit to follow suit. I don't find it intuitive what so ever.
Pushing forward to shift UP is intuitive, pulling back to go down is intuitive. The rationale given by BMW for switching the pattern come from racing where the greater g's generated by race cars makes it easier to "pull" back toward the g force to move up in gear. However, in a street car, this counter intuitive pattern is simply more fodder for web forum banter on what is and what is not the "right" way. :)

Get a manual and it's a non issue. :p

T

·
Registered
315 Posts

What sequential torque converter type trans have you driven to make the comparison?
Up until BMW changed this year, every system in the US has operated in this manner, unless you look at Chrysler which is side to side. A REAL sequential trans, such as BMW's SMG or Ferrari's F1, uses an electro-mechanically engaged clutch not a slushbox torque converter.
Besides, paddle shifting is the better application for sequential shifting anyway.
Intuitive is UP for UPshift and back for downshift.
But, as I said, fuel for the forums on a non issue, really. :)
Just get the manual. But remember, sometimes you move the lever UP to go up in gear and sometimes you go UP to go down a gear, and then sometimes you pull back to go down a gear and sometimes you go back to go up a gear.
LOL! So much for "intuitive" regarding the manu-matic huh?

T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts