Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Stereos Gentleman?!?'

Like I said before man, let me know how much, what kind of music, and what you want out of your system, and I'll help you build something that'll blow you away. I'm currently designing 5 systems (3 friends, my mother, and myself) and have done about 30 over the past year.

·
Registered
657 Posts

And a sub, I would assume, right?

OK, $800 for a decent amp (nothing flashy or competition worthy) or two, a set of compoenents to fit the 6, and a sub.....

OK, first off is Adire Audio, who has been putting out AMAZING speakers the past few years, and is run by one of the nicest, most knowledgeable guys I ever had the pleasure chatting with, Dan Wiggens. A set of Koda 6.5" components will give you a very sweet high end, with substantial midbass needed for that drum kick. Tight, controlled, and acurate. Next up is a single Adire audio Shiva sub, 12". Again, solid bass, tight and accurate, but not overpowering. Another option would be the Alpine Type-R 12, which is another VERY nice woofer for the money, and it'll take a much smaller box (.75 cubic feet compared to 1.8). The Type-R 12 goes for about $150, and be sure to get the SWR-1221D model to hook up the right load to your amp. www.buyloud has the sub for $160, which was the cheapest reliable place I could find within 5 minutes. =)

$320 for the components, $125 or $160 for the sub, sub's box can be $10-75, depending on if you want to make it yourself, or buy it. Go with about 1.8 cubic feet, sealed. www.ampmanaudio.com is a bunch of reliable guys, and they're authorised by Adire to sell over the net. the alpine can be found at

For the amp, you're going to need about 100w per channel for the components, and about 400+ watts for the Shiva. Someone on this forum mentioned Crossfire, and it'd be a damn good choice. The VR804 is $379, and is rated at 100w x4 at 12.5v, which translates into about 125w per channel to your components, and about 450w to the sub in a bridged mono 4 ohm load. The Crossfire amp is $379. www.buyloud.com has the amp in question.

Wiring can be found anywhere. Find a good 800w wiring kit and you're set, try KnuKonceptz for the $30 4g wiring kit. They're a solid company, but wire is wire. You won't find it much cheaper than Knu though.

Well, there you go. This isn't taking into consideration installation costs, but you might be able to do that yourself. If not, figure about $100 or so. A kick ass, almost competition worthy, SQ setup that's designed more towards classic rock. :D

·
Registered
657 Posts

Apple, so you know Kirk, huh? Ask him about the Phaze System 4's he used to carry. That's what I'll be using in my 6s install. Yeah, he's a great guy, and local to us, to boot. =) The fact is, the people who treat me and my friends well ALWAYS get recommendations from me, so you'll see me pushing them, The Zeb, MMXPress, and a Speed & Sound (www.speedsound.com) as much as possible. Speed & Sound especially. =)

And Brillo, you know just as well as I do that a sub is needed to complete the range. If you don't want anything too loud, look into an A/D/S/ 312RS.2, one of the best SQ subs out there, but it comes with a price. Barely any air movement. The sub's also $250 give or take. You can get the 310RS at www.carmedia1.com for about $150, and it's well worth it. Also, Image Dynamics has a good SQ sub, the IDQ. That sub's $130 at carmedia1.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Oh, and Brillo.... You dislike tinny speakers, but you like MB Quart? Interesting... I mean, even with a sub, they're so bright it hurts. The reason being, their tweets are probably the best in the business, but their midbasses suck mooscock, which I would imagine is quite unpleasant. The mids suck, so you turn it up higher, and the tweet deafens you. :sarc

·
Registered
657 Posts

Well, with his partnering with Adire on the Revolution amp and ARC on the Monitor-1s, he's really making a name for himself these days. Too bad he doesn't carry Helix anymore though, I was looking for some high end German amps. =)

·
Registered
657 Posts

Originally posted by NY Mazda6

Holy responses Batman...more input :D  

Ok Entro...here goes: The system should price just above "budget" (that possible). The stock HU will suffice, as not to touch the look of the interior. The sound inside should be clear w/ a hint of bass - not an obsurd amount. Subtle and Nice. The real bass will come from the amp(s) and the SUB or 2...heh! I guess I am a bass head at heart :sarc As to avoid the usage of too much trunk space...a custom box may be needed. What would you suggest...or anyone at that...need INPUT...lol ;)  

-NY Mazda6[/b]
Not exactly sure what you're looking for, to be honest. You're a basshead at heart, but you just want a hint of bass? And what exactly is your budget? Set a price, let me know what music you're into, and clear up if you want an SQ, SPL, or a mix of both from your system.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Not sure about that... Not sure how to read that post at all, really... The "real" bass will come from the subs and amps? Amps don't produce bass, and how do you want both a hint of bass, and the "REAL" bass from the subs? I'm confused. :(

·
Registered
657 Posts

A lot of what Alt said is true. Rear speakers? You go to a concert and face the back wall? Why bother having the sound come from BEHIND you? Leave in the stock BOSE off the stock amp, and let the back passengers suffer. If you gave a shit about them, they wouldn't be in the back, now would they? :D

Now, for speakers, go to www.ampmanaudio.com and check out the Helix components they're blowing out for $180 or so. Grab the last one they have, and if it's sold out, go to www.mmxpress.com and get a set of DEI Studio 3065 for $230 shipped. The sub, go for an Adire Tempest (The 15" version of the Shiva) for $140.

Now, head over to www.thezeb.com and get an '01 Rockford 500.2 for $320 and a 360.2 for $160. Again, www.Knukoncepts.com should handle all your wiring needs.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Altersys, what size are the BOSE speakers in the 6? I was under the impression they were 6.5" components in front, and 5.25" in back.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Interesting.... My dealer swore up & down they were 6.5" in front. You know they're 5x7s for a fact? I guess it's time to break out the tin snips then.

·
Registered
657 Posts

OK, I took the initiative and called Bose today, asked them the speaker sizes:

1.5" tweets (I think. I have the sizes at work, and I'm half drunk)
6.5" mids (front)
5.25" rears
9" sub

This is straight from Bose's mouth.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Yeah, the IDQ, along with the A/D/S/ RS series are some of the premier SQ woofers under $300, but the SPL output on them are severly lacking, ESPECIALLY on the A/D/S/. Personally, for the money, the Shiva is hard to beat for a good SQ/SPL mix. Too bad it's ugly as sin. :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Stereos Gentleman?!?'

NY 6, look at the Professionally installed thread, I did up a $700 budget system that would be good for you. Just replace the CDT Microsub with a Shiva or Tempest.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Stereos Gentleman?!?'

no.... For that, I'd go a different route. If you want to stick with US Acoustics, try the 2100 for the fronts, and the 2150 for the sub, bridged mono. You'll be sending about 500w to the sub, and about 120w to each of the DEIs.

The box, well.... For the first time, let the installer handle building it. But speak to Dan at Adire, and ask what your enclosure size should be, and have the installer build one to your specs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.