Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys...I posted this in another section...but now - here where it belongs! I'm just curious - for those of you who are putting systems in your car, or already have - what do you have, what do you suggest, and what does it look like? Heh...I know that maybe be alot but I'm curious what stereo mods other Mazda 6 users have/plan on making...

I myself am waiting for delivery of mine...Steel Grey 6i auto (I know I know...shoulda gotten MAN and waited for the Hatch but hey...whatever) It's fully loaded - premium pkg + sport's pkg, moonroof etc...minus leather and the Bose stereo. I had a '94 Isuzu Rodeo w/ a nice system and am already lookin to mod a stereo in a car I don't have yet :sarc Ahh...gotta love me...pics to come after car's arrival...till then - I dream of it :zzz

Now your turn fellas...talk to me! Any suggestions & comments are appreciated :D

-NY Mazda6

·
Registered
791 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Stereos Gentleman?!?'

Heh- well, I'm probably not the hardcore competition basshead that you were hoping would respond to this, but I did just order my new system. Here's my story.

I had trouble finding an efficient 5x7 component speaker system to fit up front that wouldn't require an outboard amplifier, until I eventually found JBL's power series coaxial speakers have a detatchable tweeter. JBL's are typically very efficient, though, on a price/performance ratio, I typically like their sister company Infinity's car speakers better for their more natural sound. Nonetheless, I also bought JBL GTO 5x7's to go in the back, which have the swivel tweeter to aim upwards into the cabin. Both speakers are efficient and have a good low end for their size, so I should be able to get by without an amp and without a subwoofer.

Having never heard them, I admit I'm gambling on the JBL power series being smooth in the mids and highs, but I really like the equivelant Infinity's in this price range, so I expect to be pleased. Keep in mind, I don't want it to be so good that I'll want an outboard amp. I had JBL components all around in my last car with a Rockford Fosgate head unit and was happy with that, but the car was very small and got loud quickly.

My last system, courtesy of eBay, came only to $200. The four speakers I ordered for the '6 came to $133, shipped, courtesy of www.ikesound.com. I'm a pretty big audiophile and listen to mostly modern/classic rock, but don't like spending a lot on car audio. My home theater was hand-picked and cost many thousands of dollars. If I see the need, I may cut into the rear baffle and install a subwoofer in the car, but I hope not to have to do that. I have no doubt that with a voltmeter one could fairly easily figure out which pins on the back of the factory unit are pre-outs, but I just don't care enough to do this. Honestly, I detected a similar harshness in both the factory BOSE system and the base system, so if the head unit is the source of that, an amplifier wouldn't help anyway.

The speakers I ordered are 91/92db efficient (1w/1m); and the stock head unit puts out 25w x 4. This should produce the same volume as a 50x4 amplifier if wired to 'normal' 89db efficient speakers. Bass extention should be solid to 50-60hz. JBL's systems in Toyota vehicles are some of the best around, IMO, as are their professional loudspeakers.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Like I said before man, let me know how much, what kind of music, and what you want out of your system, and I'll help you build something that'll blow you away. I'm currently designing 5 systems (3 friends, my mother, and myself) and have done about 30 over the past year.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism

Like I said before man, let me know how much, what kind of music, and what you want out of your system, and I'll help you build something that'll blow you away.  I'm currently designing 5 systems (3 friends, my mother, and myself) and have done about 30 over the past year.[/b]

I mainly listen to Classic Rock, Dave Matthews and some country, nothing really base heavy. I was thinking of spending around ~$800 on a new set of front speaker components and a small amp. I don't want to screw with the deck if I can wire a amp into it. Any thoughts? Many thanks for the help.

·
Registered
657 Posts

And a sub, I would assume, right?

OK, $800 for a decent amp (nothing flashy or competition worthy) or two, a set of compoenents to fit the 6, and a sub.....

OK, first off is Adire Audio, who has been putting out AMAZING speakers the past few years, and is run by one of the nicest, most knowledgeable guys I ever had the pleasure chatting with, Dan Wiggens. A set of Koda 6.5" components will give you a very sweet high end, with substantial midbass needed for that drum kick. Tight, controlled, and acurate. Next up is a single Adire audio Shiva sub, 12". Again, solid bass, tight and accurate, but not overpowering. Another option would be the Alpine Type-R 12, which is another VERY nice woofer for the money, and it'll take a much smaller box (.75 cubic feet compared to 1.8). The Type-R 12 goes for about $150, and be sure to get the SWR-1221D model to hook up the right load to your amp. www.buyloud has the sub for $160, which was the cheapest reliable place I could find within 5 minutes. =)

$320 for the components, $125 or $160 for the sub, sub's box can be $10-75, depending on if you want to make it yourself, or buy it. Go with about 1.8 cubic feet, sealed. www.ampmanaudio.com is a bunch of reliable guys, and they're authorised by Adire to sell over the net. the alpine can be found at

For the amp, you're going to need about 100w per channel for the components, and about 400+ watts for the Shiva. Someone on this forum mentioned Crossfire, and it'd be a damn good choice. The VR804 is $379, and is rated at 100w x4 at 12.5v, which translates into about 125w per channel to your components, and about 450w to the sub in a bridged mono 4 ohm load. The Crossfire amp is $379. www.buyloud.com has the amp in question.

Wiring can be found anywhere. Find a good 800w wiring kit and you're set, try KnuKonceptz for the $30 4g wiring kit. They're a solid company, but wire is wire. You won't find it much cheaper than Knu though.

Well, there you go. This isn't taking into consideration installation costs, but you might be able to do that yourself. If not, figure about $100 or so. A kick ass, almost competition worthy, SQ setup that's designed more towards classic rock. :D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

wow, thats detailed, thanks. I wasn't really planning on using a sub if I could get something with good mid base, I enjoy speakers that are very natural sounding, not to tinny or harsh. I find MB Quarts to be a good speaker, but with out a sub they are way to bright. Focal's sound natural to me, but are $$$$$. I may upgrade to an amp later, really I'm trying to decide on a good set of components and a 2 channel amp to power them. I use to follow his stuff, but most of my audiophile time now is in hometheater. Thanks again, let me know if my clarification changes your recommendations. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Let me second Ampman Audio. Kirk is great! He really knows his stuff, and gears towards audiophiles and not bassheads.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Apple, so you know Kirk, huh? Ask him about the Phaze System 4's he used to carry. That's what I'll be using in my 6s install. Yeah, he's a great guy, and local to us, to boot. =) The fact is, the people who treat me and my friends well ALWAYS get recommendations from me, so you'll see me pushing them, The Zeb, MMXPress, and a Speed & Sound (www.speedsound.com) as much as possible. Speed & Sound especially. =)

And Brillo, you know just as well as I do that a sub is needed to complete the range. If you don't want anything too loud, look into an A/D/S/ 312RS.2, one of the best SQ subs out there, but it comes with a price. Barely any air movement. The sub's also $250 give or take. You can get the 310RS at www.carmedia1.com for about $150, and it's well worth it. Also, Image Dynamics has a good SQ sub, the IDQ. That sub's $130 at carmedia1.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Oh, and Brillo.... You dislike tinny speakers, but you like MB Quart? Interesting... I mean, even with a sub, they're so bright it hurts. The reason being, their tweets are probably the best in the business, but their midbasses suck mooscock, which I would imagine is quite unpleasant. The mids suck, so you turn it up higher, and the tweet deafens you. :sarc

·
Registered
514 Posts

Kirk is a good friend of mine, and I used to work for him at Ampman two years ago... may even have sold some of you systems... It's nice to see him well-spoken of... his business has really grown into something amazing.

-Alt

·
Registered
657 Posts

Well, with his partnering with Adire on the Revolution amp and ARC on the Monitor-1s, he's really making a name for himself these days. Too bad he doesn't carry Helix anymore though, I was looking for some high end German amps. =)

·
Registered
791 Posts

I can vouch for Adire- I have a Shiva 12" sub in my home theater. It's pretty darn good. Dan Wiggons really is a super-nice guy, too!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Holy responses Batman...more input :D

Ok Entro...here goes: The system should price just above "budget" (that possible). The stock HU will suffice, as not to touch the look of the interior. The sound inside should be clear w/ a hint of bass - not an obsurd amount. Subtle and Nice. The real bass will come from the amp(s) and the SUB or 2...heh! I guess I am a bass head at heart :sarc As to avoid the usage of too much trunk space...a custom box may be needed. What would you suggest...or anyone at that...need INPUT...lol ;)

-NY Mazda6

·
Registered
657 Posts

Originally posted by NY Mazda6

Holy responses Batman...more input :D  

Ok Entro...here goes: The system should price just above "budget" (that possible). The stock HU will suffice, as not to touch the look of the interior. The sound inside should be clear w/ a hint of bass - not an obsurd amount. Subtle and Nice. The real bass will come from the amp(s) and the SUB or 2...heh! I guess I am a bass head at heart :sarc As to avoid the usage of too much trunk space...a custom box may be needed. What would you suggest...or anyone at that...need INPUT...lol ;)  

-NY Mazda6[/b]
Not exactly sure what you're looking for, to be honest. You're a basshead at heart, but you just want a hint of bass? And what exactly is your budget? Set a price, let me know what music you're into, and clear up if you want an SQ, SPL, or a mix of both from your system.

·
Registered
791 Posts

A hint of bass to a basshead?

Sounds to me like this person wants low, full bass. In other words, a system built for a flat frequency response rather than a peaky, SPL-optimised one.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Not sure about that... Not sure how to read that post at all, really... The "real" bass will come from the subs and amps? Amps don't produce bass, and how do you want both a hint of bass, and the "REAL" bass from the subs? I'm confused. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ahh..excuse my previous sketchy descriptions :sarc I wrote those with almost no sleep...heh.

Ok...let's try again.
Price...round $800.
Music: Hip Hop/R&B, Dance (Techno, House).
Misc: StockHU, new front/rear speakers, SUB, amp

Hope that cleared up the confusion...sry :hoho

-NY Mazda6

·
Registered
514 Posts

I'd say go with 5 1/4" component sup front in a baffle. Don't waste money on rear speakers... keep 'em bose. You want them biased low anyway. Spend the rest ofthe cash of a four-channel amp- preferably 75x4 or above. Bridge channels 3+4 down to around 200 watts or more (if you can afford more clean power, get it); and then drive a 12" sub (or 15" if you want the capability of extremely loud bass) off that bridged channel. This will result in balanced, LOUD, clean output if done right... should be within your budget if you shop wisely as well. But remember there is a difference between "inexpensive" and "cheaply-built".... ask around for specific brands to look for and what to avoid. I'd be glad to help in that department once you have a proposed system laid out.

And remember to save a bit more money for the installation... $800 won't be enough for quality gear AND a good installation. Installation quality is MORE IMPORTANT than the gear you buy, no stinky.

-Alt

1 - 20 of 47 Posts