Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to check out Best Buy, and look at my options for Satellite radio. (note: I hate BB, but had a $200 gift card). Next thing I am justifying why I need a whole new system in my car. I decide to get the Alpine 9857 Head unit since it has good Ipod integration. BB does not carry the metra kit, so I head out to CarTunes. They have a good reputation for installs, and I can get the dash kit there. Here is what they quote me for the install. It is a little more than BB, but I trust them to do a good job.

Frnt Spkrs 45
Rear Spkrs 65
Amp 65
Head Unit 65
Sub/Amp 50
Sat Radio 45
------------------------

Does this sound reasonable for labor. I have wired systems in the past, but am by no means an expert. Also, I would rather not tear apart the car by myself.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
darkhalcyon, welcome back to the club.
here's what i would have quoted you, parts and any custom work extra of course:
Frnt Spkrs 45
Rear Spkrs 45
Amp 65
Head Unit 65
Sub/Amp 65
Sat Radio 50
------------------------

visit a couple of places for quotes. it sounds about right. good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good. that quote does not seem at all excessive.

(i'm out of the install business, but i did run a big box install bay for a couple of years)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's. It sounded reasonable to me, but I don't have much experience. I have no problem paying more for good work.

·
Registered
418 Posts
do it yourself and u can think that u got paid 335$ to play with your car

just ask a friend that has a lil idea to help... the knowledge is worth it..

it always seems scary to take apart your car, and even scarier how easy it comes apart, but takin your time and using a lil common sense will go a long way

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'm all for DIY, but if you're looking at a complete system replacement right off the bat it's easy to do a shit job. let's see how long it would take a pro:
all four speakers: 45 minutes, want any of those as components? add 30 minutes
2x amps, plus run new speaker wire: 2-1/2 hours
HU: 30 minutes
Sat Radio: 25 minutes
plus prep, clean up, etc add 1-2 hours.
that works out to around $60/hour.

now, if this is your first DIY, i'd add about 4 hours of pre-install planning & project managment, plus another 8-10 hours of online install research, then double or triple the actual install time, plus time for troubleshooting if you run into problems. see where this is going? dropping your car off at a road shop & picking it up at the end of the day isn't all that bad of a deal. plus, your equipment will work, or they'll fix it.

what ever you decide, keep us up to date and post pics.

·
Registered
238 Posts
cartunes is definitely better than Best buy!

·
Registered
418 Posts
eh... it is quite a big install for probably a first timer... i just hear stories of people i know that get shit installed by circuit city or best buy and they have so many problems and they pay so damn much, like 60 for a headunit install (on a car with an easy sized slot, no kits needed) or around 100$ for a sub n amp install

you think most shops would really run wire from the amp to the door speakers? id tap into the existing wires... would save a few hours

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
in case you were still wondering other peoples opinions, it sounds pretty competitive to me as well.

good luck and lets see some pix when its all said and done.

peace.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got my car. There stock temp/clock/radio display is totally off. Is this correct w/ the metra kit. I guess i wasn't really expecting the whole thing to be gone??

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
that's not right. sounds like it was forgetten. that's kinda funny as it's attached to the map compartment. did the shop give you all your old parts back? look through them and see if you can find it.

in any case, i wouldn't get too worked up. take it back the the shop that did the work and have them make it right.

who did the work? how much of your project did you get installed? what was your total cost, parts + labor + custom labor/parts?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I just got my car. There stock temp/clock/radio display is totally off. Is this correct w/ the metra kit. I guess i wasn't really expecting the whole thing to be gone??
[/b]
I'm guessing that they forgot to transfer the wire from the stock head unit that connects the display to the front circuit board. They need to transfer over a little harness to make it work. It's an easy step to forget, especially if you haven't done it before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
DaveRulz
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing