Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was briefly touched on in another topic, but I'd like to start a seperate thread for the audio system. As an audiophile, I have some curiosity about the system.

Mainly, does anyone know if, since the system is listed as modular, it would have RCA outs? Chances are, I would like to improve the system with a couple of amps and speakers (staying modest for the familymobile); but I really don't want to upgrade the head unit. Mazda has done such a nice job on the console, I really don't want to modify it. Not for the familymobile, at least.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Stereo in the '6'

I can't say for sure. But that would be my guess also. What bothers me a bit is the digital connection to the display in the center console.

This means that there is need also for distributing some digital information from the modular units to the audio center. And that means that the sound may also be distributed that way between the modules - no RCA plugs in that case...

Sigvard posted a schematics of the modular system, but I don't think you could tell anything about the connection issue based on that.

·
Registered
41 Posts

And what about an Auxiliary-In? I was wondering about that because I have a Sony MP70, with MP3, and I wouldn't want to let go that possibility. If only I could have a Discman with MP3 capability attached to it by an auxiliary-IN, I wouldn't have to connect it with a cassette adapter.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

This was briefly touched on in another topic, but I'd like to start a seperate thread for the audio system.  As an audiophile, I have some curiosity about the system.  [/b]
There are no RCA outputs. Therefore, you'd require speaker input converter (Hi-Lo?) in order to use power amps etc.

Pictures:

My personal setup is listed below:

Stock HeadUnit
CAdence CEQ-770 EQ/Pre-amp
CAdence QXR-7 Electronic X-overs (2)
CAdence Z4000 4 X 75 @ 4ohm (2)
CAdence 1 farad Capacitors (2)
Infinity Digital Beta 300 1 X 1000 @ 4ohm (2)
Momentum Savage 12" Double magnet Subwoofers
Blaupunkt Velocity VX 170.2 2Way, 6.5" Component Speakers (front)
Blaupunkt VelocityVX 130.2 2Way, 5.25" Component Speakers (rear-fill)
Braxx Voltmeter

·
Registered
148 Posts

He he he...thanks :D

Actually, ¾ of the stuff belong to my old car which was a Y2K Hyundai Accent. Hehehe.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I don't believe either the base or Bose system has pre-outs. However, my usual installer can turn the speaker out wire from the stock head unit into a pre-out, run that through a amp to power some better speakers. I, like you, really don't want to tear up the dash, I like the stock look. I have heard this works really well, and should be fine in terms of sound quality unless your going to do some competition showing of your stereo. I plan to add a small amp, and replace the front speakers with a set of Focal components. I'm not a big bass fan, so that should do me fine, but who knows I might toss in a sub.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

For anyone who runs the speaker outs to an amp (hi to lo level conversion); let me know how much distortion is introduced.

·
Registered
148 Posts

How to measure distortion? Based on my current setup which uses a Hi-Lo converter that goes into a pre-amp, there's minimal distortion and the sound so far is still pretty good with real tight bass (depending on recording though).

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah, there is no way you can measure how good sound is. Also, good sound is very much subjective, so the same sound image can be experienced in many ways due to preferences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts