Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has tried a new steering wheel in their MS6? If so which one and how much was it? Was it easy to install? The thought has crossed my mind to swap in a new MX-5 or CX-7 wheel. This would probably cost an arm and a leg though because of airbag etc. My GF's CX-7 wheel feels so much better and slightly thicker. Has nice little grips on the back at 3 and 9 too. It also has better laid out radio controls. Anyone else hate the lack of thickness in our wheels? Just curious...

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
To be honest, I've never really thought about it. Hell, I don't even use the stereo controls on the wheel either...

If I had a SO with a CX-7 and I was constantly comparing them, then I might.

I think it's cool your GF has the same engine as you...

;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also from driving other cars ours just doesn't feel right. I think its way too skinny like driving a crappy rental kia or something. Usually more performance oriented cars (not just sports cars) tend to have thicker wheels in general. I guess I just expect it from a sports sedan or sports car.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Also from driving other cars ours just doesn't feel right. I think its way too skinny like driving a crappy rental kia or something. Usually more performance oriented cars (not just sports cars) tend to have thicker wheels in general. I guess I just expect it from a sports sedan or sports car.[/b]
I may be biased...I'm coming early 90's Mustang that had this huge, immovable wheel with a giant airbag in it...so the MS6 is a nice change.

:)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You want skinny, I used to have a 300zx. That was a skinny wheel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or even an RX-8 wheel. Assuming you can get it in all black? I have no idea what's involved in swapping one however...

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You can my GTX's wheel... its HUGE!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I like the skinny wheel, I have small hands though so I guess that could be why.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I prefer the perforated leather on the standard 6. I think autoexe sells covers to make it thicker. The New G35 steering wheel is a dream. check out this beefy beast!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Say you had the crazy notion of making your own steering wheel out of wood. Anyone know if it's possible to replace just the ring part around the outside and leave the controls etc in place?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Say you had the crazy notion of making your own steering wheel out of wood. Anyone know if it's possible to replace just the ring part around the outside and leave the controls etc in place?[/b]

lol, this made me laugh, ANYTHING is possible for a price :) But what do you mean by maknig it out of wood? Are you talking about the wood paneling look? Or do you want a sliver fest of a steering wheel?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Say you had the crazy notion of making your own steering wheel out of wood. Anyone know if it's possible to replace just the ring part around the outside and leave the controls etc in place?[/b]
I'm sure the steel is all connected underneath...most likey welded together. If this is what you are looking for, I think it would be better to do overlays somehow...

You might be better going to a salvage yard and getting a used steering wheel to test with. There's a decent one over by Turtle Creek...

·
Registered
721 Posts
my last car had a MOMO Monte Carlo. That was, hands down, the best steering wheel i've ever laid my hands on. small diameter, very thick, with contours at 9:30 and 2:30. But i believe it was illegal to replace it since my car had an airbag, but i like the idea of swapping it with the CX-7 wheel if it is thicker and still maintains audio controls and airbag. Does anyone know the diameter of the two steering wheels?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
As someone else mentioned... you can get leather or buckskin steeringwheel wraps from AutoExe. Less work and cost overal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As someone else mentioned... you can get leather or buckskin steeringwheel wraps from AutoExe. Less work and cost overal.[/b]
Anyone ever use the Autoexe products? Looks like a PITA to install and the dimples don't look quite right. I'd be interested to hear anyones experiences. Did it add enough thickness?

I also hate the positioning of the controls also compared to the CX-7 and MX-5 which are toggles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm sure the steel is all connected underneath...most likey welded together. If this is what you are looking for, I think it would be better to do overlays somehow...

You might be better going to a salvage yard and getting a used steering wheel to test with. There's a decent one over by Turtle Creek...[/b]
Overlays... hmm....

Too bad, you're probably right about the all-steel thing. Would be great to have a wheel as smooth and nice to the touch as my shift knob. Can you think of anyone who would know for sure what's under the leather of the MS6 wheel?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wheels are not made of steel. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts