Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattle coming from the steering wheel/column. If I push or pull fairly hard on the steering wheel it will stop.

Anyone else have this? If so, how did you fix it?

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Is it a knocking sound? If so, you need to get your steering column greased up. I just had it done last week and the sound is gone.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a knocking sound? If so, you need to get your steering column greased up. I just had it done last week and the sound is gone.
Not a knock. It sounds like your typical plastic interior rattle.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
My steering wheel rattle was the horn/airbag cover. It was making contact at the top left corner by the audio controls, and could be stopped by either applying pressure to or lifting up on the top left corner of the cover, and even simply sliding something like a business card in there would stop it by preventing the contact.

Mine only did it at idle with a 900 rpm idle and BSD, but it was loud as hell and hyper annoying.

I had intended to remove that center cover and either insulate or remove the offending bit of plastic. Win for me tho as my K04 seals gave up before I got around to it, and with the BNR in and smoking no longer a concern I was able to return my idle to sock values and the rattle went away.....

FWIW tho, for weeks I thought the sound was coming from behind the dash or from the steering column because I could put enough pressure on the wheel to make it stop. It was by accident that I found the cover to be the culprit.

HTH

·
Registered
375 Posts
mine squeaks when the car stays in the sun... donno where to look for lubricating :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My steering wheel rattle was the horn/airbag cover. It was making contact at the top left corner by the audio controls, and could be stopped by either applying pressure to or lifting up on the top left corner of the cover, and even simply sliding something like a business card in there would stop it by preventing the contact.

Mine only did it at idle with a 900 rpm idle and BSD, but it was loud as hell and hyper annoying.

I had intended to remove that center cover and either insulate or remove the offending bit of plastic. Win for me tho as my K04 seals gave up before I got around to it, and with the BNR in and smoking no longer a concern I was able to return my idle to sock values and the rattle went away.....

FWIW tho, for weeks I thought the sound was coming from behind the dash or from the steering column because I could put enough pressure on the wheel to make it stop. It was by accident that I found the cover to be the culprit.

HTH
Like I said on MSF, that was it. Thanks for the tip. :cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
how would I go about taking off the airbag cover? The rattle I have almost sounds like there's a loose bit of plastic bouncing around underneath the cover. It is very very annoying

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
NoVaSpeed6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing