Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in purchasing a metra kit and installing a after market head unit (ex: pioneer), but I was wondering if it is possible to still be able to use my audio controls on my steering wheel? I am currently running a 2003 6i. Could this be wired to work? Has anyone done it? This is my only main problem, I think of it more as a downgrade than an upgrade. Let me know. Thanks!

-Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Yes it can be done, but I have heard initially its a bitch to install and not too cheap. I know of one guy that replaced his head unit and gave up the controls. But I have read on this board about a few months back that yes it can be done but the adapter needed, but unsure of the cost. All I can offer you is to search my friend! I am too old and tired to do so right now :p.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-SWI-PS-Pioneer-Ste...1QQcmdZViewItem

That's what you need and its only like three wires you have to splice into... Its not hard at all and takes maybe 15 mins to wire up and program it[/b]
You're assuming that the headunit is compatible in the first place. What this thing does is it makes the aftermarket head unit think that the steering wheel control is the wireless or wired remote.

Basically, to answer the OP's question, you can only retain the steering wheel controls if you buy a headunit that has a remote (wired or wireless, included or not), then you have to buy the PAC SWI that works with said headunit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah good point I just read pioneer and posted that for you... Make sure whatever headunit you choose is compatible with the pac device.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah good point I just read pioneer and posted that for you... Make sure whatever headunit you choose is compatible with the pac device.[/b]

Yeah that was just an example. I appretiate the help. How do you know if the head unit is compatable with the PAC device? Will it say it blunt and obvious on the box? haha. :sarc:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts