Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Wobbling (especially if you can feel it in the wheel) is frequently a bad tire or rim. Alloy rims rarely bend, they usually fracture. TIRES, however, do break belts on occasion and will produce this symptom -- and if that's happened it's very dangerous as a tire with a broken belt can come apart without warning on the highway.

A broken belt can usually be seen if you drive slowly in a parking lot with a friend "out the window"; the casing can be seen to MOVE laterally! Easily checked (and given your symptoms, should be!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wobbling (especially if you can feel it in the wheel) is frequently a bad tire or rim. Alloy rims rarely bend, they usually fracture. TIRES, however, do break belts on occasion and will produce this symptom -- and if that's happened it's very dangerous as a tire with a broken belt can come apart without warning on the highway.

A broken belt can usually be seen if you drive slowly in a parking lot with a friend "out the window"; the casing can be seen to MOVE laterally! Easily checked (and given your symptoms, should be!)
Thank you!, one question: The wobbling is not violent at all, and moreover it can only be felt above 65 or 70mph. Could this be the result of hitting a speed bump while going fast?
Also, are wheels covered by warranty?

·
Registered
585 Posts
The vibrations have reduced, actually. They are still there, but the bigger problem is wobbling; As I've mentioned in the post the car drifts from side-to-side. Could this be a result of bad tires/ bent wheels as well? Thank you!
A few things:

- If they say they can't drive your car over the speed limit, just ask if you can take a technician for a test drive so you can show him the problem and don't say anything about the fact it happens at 70mph or that you're going on the highway. Whenever I've had issues that a mechanic couldn't pinpoint, they've usually been open to taking a ride with me so that I can reproduce the problem. It makes sense that their techs aren't allowed to speed because it's technically breaking the law lol.
- If your tires were unbalanced or not well aligned for a while, there may have been uneven wear on the tires. IF your wheels are aligned and tires are properly balanced now, you should still feel an uneven ride and pulling until the tires wear out more evenly now that they're pointed/angled correctly.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Thank you!, one question: The wobbling is not violent at all, and moreover it can only be felt above 65 or 70mph. Could this be the result of hitting a speed bump while going fast?
Also, are wheels covered by warranty?
What's "going fast"? If you have a T or GT with 19" rims, yes, tire damage is very possible if you hit something "sharp" (e.g. potholes, etc) -- that's the risk of those wheels.

That sort of damage is not a warranty item; low-profile rims and tires simply do not tolerate abuse -- accidental or otherwise -- well at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A few things:

- If they say they can't drive your car over the speed limit, just ask if you can take a technician for a test drive so you can show him the problem and don't say anything about the fact it happens at 70mph or that you're going on the highway. Whenever I've had issues that a mechanic couldn't pinpoint, they've usually been open to taking a ride with me so that I can reproduce the problem. It makes sense that their techs aren't allowed to speed because it's technically breaking the law lol.
- If your tires were unbalanced or not well aligned for a while, there may have been uneven wear on the tires. IF your wheels are aligned and tires are properly balanced now, you should still feel an uneven ride and pulling until the tires wear out more evenly now that they're pointed/angled correctly.
Well he already took a ride with me. He drove at 60, that's the maximum speed they can afford. Or maybe 65. The problem is the freeway he drove on is different from the one I can clearly see the problem on. Another problem here is I have already told them it occurs at 70:(

My wheels were balanced and the tires are properly aligned. I still have that problem. I don't think they wore out so much meanwhile, the car has only got 1200 miles on it and I've been having this issue ever since I hit the speed bump when the car's at 600 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What's "going fast"? If you have a T or GT with 19" rims, yes, tire damage is very possible if you hit something "sharp" (e.g. potholes, etc) -- that's the risk of those wheels.

That sort of damage is not a warranty item; low-profile rims and tires simply do not tolerate abuse -- accidental or otherwise -- well at all.
I mean, I went at 20 mph over a speed bump in my apartment. To make things worse, the bumps are so bad here. They don't even have a smooth finish at the part they join the road, which must have given my car a beating.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well he already took a ride with me. He drove at 60, that's the maximum speed they can afford. Or maybe 65. The problem is the freeway he drove on is different from the one I can clearly see the problem on. Another problem here is I have already told them it occurs at 70:(

My wheels were balanced and the tires are properly aligned. I still have that problem. I don't think they wore out so much meanwhile, the car has only got 1200 miles on it and I've been having this issue ever since I hit the speed bump when the car's at 600 miles.
Oh, I meant you driving with the technician sitting as a passenger.

Dang... Idk man. Since you're in Atlanta, I'd pay Gran Tourismo East a visit. They're very knowledgeable and are great to work with (as long as you don't mind them being very blunt and straightforward). That is where I've taken my car for anything tire/wheel related and they've been great. They've been doing suspension work in the Atlanta area for ages and are well recommended by independent local shops and a number of members of the Atlanta Mazda Owners Club.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a similar vibration issue, felt it in the floor and seat. Came on at 60MPH and was consistent until I lowered below 60. Never really got worse the faster I went. I didn't have the wobble or slithering issue. A rebalance and new weight has seemed to fix the issue for me.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'd go find a shop with a Hunter Roadforce GSP9700 wheel balancer. It is pretty much the best wheel balancer in the industry.

Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix

Once I had a tire puncture fixed for free by America's Tire and chosen this one branch, due to the GSP9700s availability. After the tire plug fix, the shop balanced the tire and only installed one small, single clip weight (as opposed to the long factory stickies). That was over 5,000mi ago. I am still amazed, even now. No shimmy nor vibrations at all still, at any speed..considering I rotated that "damaged" tire and is now at the right front (previously left rear, post tire repair), even in tandem with a non-damaged left front factory wheel/tire, with several sticky wheel weights slapped on.

Id never use any other garden variety wheel balancer brand ...this is one qualifier I chose, for my new Mazda service dealer in Los Angeles (only one close to me, that uses a GSP9700).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Tinkerguy is right it could be just a weight that came off. As far as Firestone stores , there are good ones and not so good ones. Many years ago I had a local Firestone store that was excellent. But with the new car, yes, go to the dealer. Im sure its an easy fix. Just dont hit any curbs, then it could cost you some money. Oldvet

·
Registered
618 Posts

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but am I the only one with a thought that this could be the particular stretch of highway you're on? I'm live in Indy and there is part of I465 that I drive maybe once every 4-6 months, its about 20 miles long and every time I hit that spot I feel like I have a flat tire and it hits me in a couple of seconds that its the piece of crap stretch of highway. These issues mostly happen on stretches of highway with concrete rather than black top. Just food for thought. As far as them not driving over speed limit, that's not stupid, that's called liability. No shop is going to break the law to prove there is something wrong with the car. With 19in wheels, it is VERY possible that you did in fact bend the wheel or even cracked it slightly. The higher the speed, the more predominant the effect of bent wheels. Someone already suggested here to rotate the wheels and see if that eliminates the issue completely or partially. And take it up to 70 on a different highway - so you have a good comparison.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.