Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 626 was notorious for it's rack rattle and I'm afraid I'm feeling a bit in my 6 as well. It feels like a slight pulsing in the power steering hydraulics. It's been cold here lately (of course) and the problem seems to lessen (but not disappear) when the car is hot. It only happens at low speed around steep corners.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Reading Topic: Steering shudder/ rack rattle

Had a weird experience the other day. Was crossing one of the bridges here and it felt like first one wheel would 'surge' then the other one. Basically it almost felt like only one front wheel was pulling the car, then the other one would catch up and start pulling the car that way. Never felt anything like that before. It is really windy on the bridges though, possibly it was just the wind, BTW...I was driving between 95 and 100 MPH. Doesn't sound like your problem, but it was pretty strange.

Something else really annoying, is that my ceiling has already started to squeak. There is a portion right above the passenger's head that will stop squeaking if you push on it. About 2hrs later it starts squeaking again. I've already dropped it off at the dealership to get fixed. Normally I would let it pass, but a car with less than 2,000 miles, that cost $26K, and is less than 1 month old shouldn't make a single sound.

·
Registered
514 Posts

You were crossing a windy bridge at 100MPH? Don't blame your car... great way to have an accident.

And Torgo, you may need to get you wheels balanced/suspension aligned/tires rotated.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Alt...its normal here dude. Believe it or not I still got passed by a couple SUVs and a mini-van. This particular bridge is 23 miles long and 6 lanes wide...the perfect straight-away.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Steering shudder/ rack rattle'

Originally posted by diesel5599

Had a weird experience the other day. Was crossing one of the bridges here and it felt like first one wheel would 'surge' then the other one. Basically it almost felt like only one front wheel was pulling the car, then the other one would catch up and start pulling the car that way. Never felt anything like that before. It is really windy on the bridges though, possibly it was just the wind, BTW...I was driving between 95 and 100 MPH. Doesn't sound like your problem, but it was pretty strange.

Something else really annoying, is that my ceiling has already started to squeak. There is a portion right above the passenger's head that will stop squeaking if you push on it. About 2hrs later it starts squeaking again. I've already dropped it off at the dealership to get fixed. Normally I would let it pass, but a car with less than 2,000 miles, that cost $26K, and is less than 1 month old shouldn't make a single sound.[/b]
u were probably experiencing a little bit of turbulance from the wind. it's not a good idea to go fast when there is turbulance like that because it can cause the car's steering to go wild. therefore just like alt said it is a good way to get into an accident

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

chindo's right. A bridge may be nice and wide and straight, but you are going to experience other factors such as temperature changes and higher winds. A bridge by no means is "a perfect straightaway".

Not to mention the speed on a public road...

·
Registered
514 Posts

Very well said.

Straight is not something merely pertaining to asphalt when we're talking about aerodynamic objects at "body effects speeds." There's a reason why Cd is a spec: air really matters.

On land, obstructions such as buildings and simple surface resistance result in a relatively still air environment, such that the delta-velocity between the air and the ground is small. On a bridge, there is no ground, or are no buildings to disrupt atmospheric airflow: you are literally flying in the sky, and not necessarily in the direction the wind is blowing. At to that, the tendency for wind to shift directions spontaneously and you have a situation where you really *should* change your driving habits for safety. And the fact that "SUVs are going faster than you" is not a good reason to ignore physcis. There's a reason why they're SUV drivers and not sports car drivers (I'll leave the reason up to you :) )

-Alt

·
Registered
36 Posts

Originally posted by Torgo

The 626 was notorious for it's rack rattle and I'm afraid I'm feeling a bit in my 6 as well.  It feels like a slight pulsing in the power steering hydraulics.  It's been cold here lately (of course) and the problem seems to lessen (but not disappear) when the car is hot.  It only happens at low speed around steep corners.

Anyone else?[/b]
I had an issue with a clunking noise in the front end which also transmitted a vibration into the steering wheel when going around corners at low speeds. The dealership replaced the "Strut Tops" and fixed the problem. Don't know if it's the same thing your experiencing, but sounds close.

http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=1593

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by Altersys

Very well said.

Straight is not something merely pertaining to asphalt when we're talking about aerodynamic objects at "body effects speeds."  There's a reason why Cd is a spec: air really matters.

On land, obstructions such as buildings and simple surface resistance result in a relatively still air environment, such that the delta-velocity between the air and the ground is small.  On a bridge, there is no ground, or are no buildings to disrupt atmospheric airflow: you are literally flying in the sky, and not necessarily in the direction the wind is blowing.  At to that, the tendency for wind to shift directions spontaneously and you have a situation where you really *should* change your driving habits for safety.  And the fact that "SUVs are going faster than you" is not a good reason to ignore physcis.  There's a reason why they're SUV drivers and not sports car drivers (I'll leave the reason up to you :) )

-Alt[/b]
Mid life crisis :p ...anyways wouldnt SUVs be worse off than a car in this situation as it is less aerodynamic.

·
Registered
514 Posts

That was sort of my point... but I wouldn't say they are more dangerous for aerodynamic reasons. The added weight of an SUV can benefit its stability. I am more concerned with their terrible emergency handling (in)capabilities and their overall lacking of braking with respect to their mass.

-Alt

·
Registered
220 Posts

Alaska is notorious for wind turbulence on the highway. Normal for 60-90mph steady winds coming from the mountains. Combine that with patches of frozen highway--I've reconciled my ways with more than a couple "Ditch Diving Club" meetings. Be Careful--if it isn't the wind it's a wayward moose! For a beautiful open patch of highway with some fun moguls, great twists, no police and less traffic--Richardson Highway in Alaska. Can't wait to drive the 6 up that way. FREAKING AWESOME!

·
Registered
220 Posts

PS: You gotta love Alaska for the lack of highway patrol, low fuel prices and our own supply plus the huge expanses of paved road that go nowhere in particular with the most incredible scenery. I CAN'T move to a crowded metropolitan area again after this--I'm spoiled now.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Alright, here's the latest.

First of all: this is a very minor problem. It's only really noticeable when driving around a parking lot at 20 MPH or less. It's a high-frequency shudder/vibration/notchyness just detectable in the farther reaches of the steering. When I drive my wife's CR-V the steering feels decidedly smoother, and that's what's causing me to keep harping on this.

I had the suspension and wheels checked for alignment, and they're both dead on, so that's not the issue. The mechanic did feel what I was talking about, but said that it was simply weather related.

I sort-of buy this because it's been truly arctic here for the past month and a half. It hasn't really been above 20 degrees F outside...ever. I read online that the steering issue could be due to Mazda running power steering fluid that is higher viscosity than other manufacturers. When it's cold, this fluid is even more viscous, causing the problem. Car Talk recommended switching to a lower viscosity "cold weather" fluid...we'll see.

I sent an email to Mazda and they promptly responded. They recommended I try another dealership in my area (there are several). The next day, the service manager at the dealership I bought the car at (and originally took it to) called me and apologized for not dealing with the problem initially. He was very kind and understanding and recommended that I bring the car in next week. I'm impressed by Mazda's proactive approach here: I can tell that even though I don't really think it's that big a deal, they're trying to make me completely happy. I didn't ask for them to do that, and I didn't ask for the dealership manager to call me back. They did that on their own. Kudos to them for that.

Anyway, I'll keep posting updates here on this. Just wanted to let people know how great Mazda is being about this whole thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Hiro11 -- any developments/cures?

It's only really noticeable when driving around a parking lot at 20 MPH or less.  It's a high-frequency shudder/vibration/notchyness just detectable in the farther reaches of the steering.  When I drive my wife's CR-V the steering feels decidedly smoother, and that's what's causing me to keep harping on this.

Anyway, I'll keep posting updates here on this.  Just wanted to let people know how great Mazda is being about this whole thing.[/b]
I have a very similar problem--lots of tiny clunks, groans and knocks
"when driving around a parking lot at 20 MPH or less" and
"detectable in the farther reaches of the steering."

Did you get yours fixed?
What was the cure?

Let us know.:(

·
Registered
32 Posts

Originally posted by harley
I have a very similar problem--lots of tiny clunks, groans and knocks
"when driving around a parking lot at 20 MPH or less" and  
"detectable in the farther reaches of the steering."

Did you get yours fixed?  
What was the cure?

Let us know.:([/b]
I just posted that this morning. I'll definitely keep you updated after my return trip to the shop, though.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by cynder

PS:  You gotta love Alaska for the lack of highway patrol, low fuel prices and our own supply plus the huge expanses of paved road that go nowhere in particular with the most incredible scenery.  I CAN'T move to a crowded metropolitan area again after this--I'm spoiled now.[/b]
Lucky you...I am in need of some twisty roads. I have to go pretty far if I want to have some fun. The nearest track is like 1.5 hr away. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts

Originally posted by Hiro11

I just posted that this morning.  I'll definitely keep you updated after my return trip to the shop, though.[/b]
Great, thanks. I hope you get a positive result.
Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts

That was sort of my point... but I wouldn't say they are more dangerous for aerodynamic reasons.  The added weight of an SUV can benefit its stability.  I am more concerned with their terrible emergency handling (in)capabilities and their overall lacking of braking with respect to their mass.[/b]

Weight does not automatically denote stability. Regardless of its mass the SUV has a very high center of gravity and thus is LESS stable, will generate less G-force before overturning, be much more susceptible to weight shift due to large amounts of suspension travel on soft springs. Additionally as it is an aerodynamic brick, the center of pressure is more forward than in a sleek car and, as many of them are rear wheel drive, their power point is far rearward of the center of pressure, further aiding a tendency to wander or swap ends in marginal traction conditions. Because they are designated as a truck, they do not have to conform to passenger car safety standards and are poor performers in an accident. What is marketed as a safer family vehicle is actually a death trap in the hands of an inexperienced or ego driven driver.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Took it back: the dealer said it had o do with the fact that the car is brand new and the seals/bushings need to loosen up... .... .... ok.

This is one of those things: very minor yet sticks in your throat. It's like the low level hum that comes from your tv: it's very slight, but will drive you crazy after a while.

I'm just going to drive the car and see what happens. It will probably work itself out. If not, I've got years of warrenty left to hash it out. If I could just stop thinking about it, everything would be fine.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts