Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my MPS (MS6) to an airfield and was going to compete against other cars on the track.
I don't know the word in English but you drive a special track like slalom.

Well the first 2 turns was fine, then the steering "got stuck" and the car was almost impossible to turn!
When you make fast turns left/right the servo chokes and can't keep up!
Spoke to Mazda Sweden about it and they had never heard about it...yeah sure! :sarc:
Every major motor magazine in Sweden has mentioned it....

However, if there's not many complaints about the issue, they wont do anything about it!

So guys, please test your car and complain!! If you or your gf/wife drives the car and have to make a quick maneuver to avoid an accident they will not be able to!!!
It is a mater of life and death actually!! :swearin:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think it also may be understeer you are experiencing. I have had a couple of times where i had my front tires turned completely and they would almost stick to one side or another, and I could not regain control until they gained traction. Its almost like when the car is in a understeer slide the front tires are pushed one way or another, making it very hard to turn the wheel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think it also may be understeer you are experiencing. I have had a couple of times where i had my front tires turned completely and they would almost stick to one side or another, and I could not regain control until they gained traction. Its almost like when the car is in a understeer slide the front tires are pushed one way or another, making it very hard to turn the wheel.
[/b]
Heh heh.....yeah, that very well could be it. I used to race an IMCA type modified on pavement with a 16:1 steering box and a steering quickener and it was possible to turn the wheels fast enough to induce HUGE understeer, especially at slow speeds. I used to do it deliberately on pace laps to put some heat in the front tires. That could be what he was experiencing, then again, maybe not. If he actually couldn't turn the wheel then something else may be going on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/b]
Nononono.. I've driven several years on tracks and have a license so I know what understeer means.
My past 4 cars have been FWD with front mounted heavy engines.

This is so different. Just pick up some speed and turn quickley right and left, right and left on a straight road and you'll know what I mean.

Heh heh.....yeah, that very well could be it. I used to race an IMCA type modified on pavement with a 16:1 steering box and a steering quickener and it was possible to turn the wheels fast enough to induce HUGE understeer, especially at slow speeds. I used to do it deliberately on pace laps to put some heat in the front tires. That could be what he was experiencing, then again, maybe not. If he actually couldn't turn the wheel then something else may be going on.
[/b]
It's the steeringwheel thats impossible (almost) to move. Then if you try real hard it just "popp", works again whit the result that you with full force throw the steeringwheel around.... :swearin:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
any possibility your rack and pinion is misaligned? so once u come to end of the rack, it falls off the tracks and wedges itself on the edge. take it to your dealer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It sounds like hydraulic steering catch, basically you are turning the steering gear faster than the pump can provide fluid. All cars do this if you turn the wheel fast enough. Not a speed6 only issue... Just a fact of life... You can still steer, but the efforts to steer increase. You can steer through it... Efforts only increase for a fraction of a second.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like hydraulic steering catch, basically you are turning the steering gear faster than the pump can provide fluid. All cars do this if you turn the wheel fast enough. Not a speed6 only issue... Just a fact of life... You can still steer, but the efforts to steer increase. You can steer through it... Efforts only increase for a fraction of a second.
[/b]
That's more like it. It's not only a MS6 issue I know. But on a new car, with all that power and 50% more stability and stiffness made to the chassie....for what use if you can't turn your car fast enough??

I've had a lot of cars from crap up to 40.000$ and have taken many of them to the track. But this is the first one that shows this problem so clearly...

Just plain stupid if you ask me.... :sarc:

Sounds like a power steering issue...

Any more pics of your car??? What wheels are those?
[/b]
The make of the rims are JCL.. (never heard of them before) and came along with the car as winter rims, 17". :D

Some more pics: Small pics...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Stenis, after reading this I tried high frequency stearing reversals, while stationary with engine running, and got the same effect you described. I don't recall experiencing this on any other car I have owned or driven. Starting to think it's a design deficiency.

·
Registered
364 Posts
this should make for interesting experiences at autox and track events

fingers crossed that your occurance was an anomaly

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke to my local dealer about it today and they tested it.

- "No, this is not normal!! What did Mazda Sweden say?"
- Mazda Sweden said that they never heard about it, yeah sure, and ...bla bla bla..." I said.
- "We'll talk to them and if they ignore us/you we'll fix it ourselfs"

All credits to my local dealer! :thumbup:

Yes, they checked the fluid and it was all ok. And I'll bet my left nut that, if not 100% of all MS6 have this problem, at least 95% have!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
More cowbell
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing