Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guyz i noticed that sometimes when am doing 120+ kph and brake harshly (2/3-3/4 pedal down) the steering wheel rocks left nd right a little. whats strange is that it rocks 'smoothly', is this normal for abs? or for mazda?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine's an '06 w/47,000mi. I have not had this issue. I think the '09 is the next generation which means they probably changed the braking system due to more hp. But even still, your steering should not be affected by the ABS. I would take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you're not getting shuddering/pulsing from the brakes it's not warped.

Sounds like alignment to me (I forget which axis but one will do this when it's out).

What brand/size tires do you get in your part of the world stock? It *could* be tire flex, but I highly doubt it.

-Ernie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're not getting shuddering/pulsing from the brakes it's not warped.

Sounds like alignment to me (I forget which axis but one will do this when it's out).

What brand/size tires do you get in your part of the world stock? It *could* be tire flex, but I highly doubt it.

-Ernie
Michelin 235/45 R18, i recently had my first tire rotation

·
Registered
659 Posts
Nothing weird with the size -- check the tire pressure I forgot --- honestly, I can feel a light drift driving on 17s when one of the front tires has 1psi more than the other . . .

If that's not it, I'd bet alignment is the issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have to say the rotors are bad, if it's alignment it would do it all the time. My truck did the same thing until I put new rotors on it. But with it being a new car just take it in and have them fix it under warrenty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have noticed something similar on my car but not at high speed stops. It normally happens with an uneven road, if the road banks to one side or has a patch where one tire is on a different surface than the other. If i do not keep my hands on the wheel it wants to turn into the dip or whichever tire has better traction.

I am not sure why this car responds to this more than other cars and trucks ive owned but if its something to help with torque steer Im ok with it as I have little to no torque steer when accelerating.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have noticed something similar on my car but not at high speed stops. It normally happens with an uneven road, if the road banks to one side or has a patch where one tire is on a different surface than the other. If i do not keep my hands on the wheel it wants to turn into the dip or whichever tire has better traction.

I am not sure why this car responds to this more than other cars and trucks ive owned but if its something to help with torque steer Im ok with it as I have little to no torque steer when accelerating.
The OE 17 tires did this like crazy, but you have the GTs, which are 18s, no?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Correct,. Ive got the 18s and to add the car stops smoothly and straight on normal highways and roads, just the uneven patches that bring this out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Did our O.P. disappear?

I actually had this happen yesterday; felt like torque steer does (except nothing like it because it wasn't acceleration), here's how it went down:
1) Direction changing (lanes)
2) Imperfect surface (concrete & asphalt road)
3) Going from light braking to hard braking

Since I was changing lanes then decelerating hard, I didn't have the wheel as firmly gripped as I would have in a straight line. Some tire flex had to be in play, but mostly it was just the FEEL of that heavier bite of the brakes when you put it down more . . .

I've got good tires on it now, so it takes quite a bit for the traction to actually cut loose; I can see how you'd notice this a lot more with the stock tires.

So the question is:
If you are certain you're going straight, you have the wheel firmly gripped (not clenched) and you're not wandering at all, does this still apply for hard braking?

I've hammered the brakes once or twice and it'll stop damn quick in a straight line.

Good luck.

-Ernie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts