Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my M6 has developed some steering or suspension issues, its became more noticeable this week, I'm getting a knocking sensation thru the steering wheel when the wheels are turned slightly to the left, if I accelerate with the wheel slightly turned I also get this knocking/ rattling feeling thru the steering wheel kinda like the wheel (right) is wobbling or about to fall off :( its not loose though.lolll

.I also noticed today that if I hold my steering wheel dead center the car drives perfectly in a straight line for a bit then it starts to via to the right even on perfect level roads..

I called my dealer (service Department) today and tried to explain the situation to the best of my ability, they told me they are booked solid but as this may be a safety issue they'll take a look at it tomorrow afternoon, I'll let you guys know what happens.

I'm very very pissed off! :(
any of you peeps had a similar problem?
anything I should ask them to check specifically?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Reading Topic: steering or suspension problems

I've the same problem. My agent cannot solve my problem.
It's been nine months already.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

9 months? wtf.. what reasons are they giving you for not finding the cause of the fault??
I won't back down on this one, its a brand new car after all :(

·
Registered
49 Posts

It sounds like an alignment issue to me. I'm no grease monkey, but my old 92 Celica had the same problem after my brother ran into a curb. Accelerating while turning the wheel made a knocking feel in the steering column. Even happened drving in straight lines at high speeds after a while. Realignment helped it out.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

I've heard of people with the same problem. The problem itself is a faulty universal-joint shaft. But Mazda does not only change the universal-joint shaft. They replace the whole steering column out of security reasons. I hope that info helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Replying to Topic 'steering or suspension problems'

Originally posted by Driver6

I've heard of people with the same problem.
The problem itself is a faulty universal-joint shaft.  
But Mazda does not only change the universal-joint shaft.  
They replace the whole steering column out of security reasons. I hope that info helps.[/b]

You say this like it's a recognized problem that Mazda are very much aware of. Is this the case?
I also have similar problems but several dealers later, nobody here has yet been able to provide me with a solution.
Is there an easy way to check this universal-joint shaft, and should I specifically request my dealer looks here first before sending me away for the umpteenth time? Would it add any weight to tell the dealer that Mazda are aware of this issue?

Grateful for any further input or experience you've had with this.
There are a few of us out here that need to know how to get this issue resolved once and for all.
Regards,
Harley

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks all, I'm just on my way to dealer now, I'll let you know of the outcome when i get back;) I just hope they find the cause:(

Bye for now

·
Registered
163 Posts

Originally posted by ozzie

9 months? wtf.. what reasons are they giving you for not finding the cause of the fault??
I won't back down on this one, its a brand new car after all :([/b]
Each time i took it back, they'll try new things ( which they're not telling me ).

I believed it could be a "design" problem.

I'm actually thinking to get the Lexus IS200.

So sad !

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well I went to the Mazda service department today as planned and after 10mins of driving he finally felt what I've been feeling all week, He admits there is a problem and that it needs further investigation, so my car is booked in Tuesday week for a day long check of the steering,suspension and front end...He said it could be caused by a number of things, but mine is the first car that has come to them with this kind of problem...BONUS lucky me.LOL
Anyways, I'll keep you updated on that:D

Also I asked him about the noise some of us hear when reserving out of our driveways after the car has been sitting there for some time, He explain that is pretty normal during the colder months as the moisture forms on the disks as the car colds down leaving a very small layer of surface rust which kinda sticks the pads to the disks..After releasing the handbrake sometimes its a little stuck and as soon as you move it unlocks it hence the sound.loll He said a few of Mazda models do that and its no need for concern....Ok I'm done.loll

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

I'm on a german Mazda6 forum as well and at least 3 other members had a knocking sensation. Only on one car the steering column had to be replaced. The other members' problem could be fixed with realigning the suspension. It has been assembled with too much tension. Mazda UK should get in contact with Mazda Germany and share their experiences. Seriously.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well today was D day, time to take back my 6 for its suspension/steering issues, He adjusted Steering / Suspension Bolt Torque Settings, Camber Settings and few other things, though the problem was not solved:(:(

He got in touch with Mazda Australia to compare similar problems but to no avail, he has a few ideas of what might be causing the problem including the possibility the whole steering column may need to be replaced, he has ordered a few different parts to try solve the problem but my car will need to stay with them for about 3 days:(
(Not Happy!!) though a loan car will be provided free of charge for the length my car takes to be repaired..

So yet again, I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Well today was D day, time to take back my 6 for its suspension/steering issues, He adjusted Steering / Suspension Bolt Torque Settings, Camber Settings  and few other things, though the problem was not solved:(:(  

He got in touch with Mazda Australia to compare similar problems but to no avail,  he has a few ideas of what might be causing the problem including the possibility the whole steering column may need to be replaced, he has ordered a few different parts to try solve the problem but my car will need to stay with them for about 3 days:(
(Not Happy!!) though a loan car will be provided free of charge for the length my car takes to be repaired..

So yet again, I'll keep you updated.[/b]
Hi there. is your problem solved by your agent!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

no not yet, i have to take it back tuesday week, it'll then stay with mazda for about 3days until they fix the problem.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Ok my baby is back home after 3 LONG days of work.loll They change the steering rack and all seems great!

Lets hope it stays that way:D
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Great to hear that your problem was resolved, and that the dealer was so cooperative!

·
Registered
96 Posts

I have this exact problem and am in the process of suing Mazda to get my money back because of it. The car is certainly drivable, but like you said, it's a brand new car and Mazda should be able to fix it. I took my car in a total of nine times to three different dealerships to no avail. The problem started in January of this year and is only now getting close to resolution. Word to the wise: Illinois (where I live) has the weakest lemon law in the country. In fact, It's so weak that all suits are filed through the federal system rather than the state system. This cause interminable waits and requires a lot of patience. The good news: about 95% of these cases are won by the plaintiff...so my chances are good (especially since Mazda admits there is a problem)

Yesterday, a tech from Mazda headquarters flew out (!) from California to Chicago to evaluate the car. He spent three hours with the car, but due to the lawsuit was unable to provide any information about his findings. I'm completing a deposition next month. Resolution should come soon after. I'll definitely post his findings here.

I had not heard about the possible universal joint cause...that's very likely (it feels as if the entire steering mechanism is loose). It's a little too late for me to suggest this to mazda at this point (in fact, I'm prevented by my lawyers to even talk to them); but good info, never the less.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: steering or suspension problems

Damn Torgo, i'm sorry to hear that, your lucky in one way we don't even have a lemon law in this country!, Goodluck with it all.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: steering or suspension problems

I am getting a vibration in my steering whel but it tracks fine even when i am having the problem. it only happens at 60+ MPH. you think its the same thing you have or maybe wheel blanacing problem?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Originally posted by oakfan52

I am getting a vibration in my steering whel but it tracks fine even when i am having the problem. it only happens at 60+ MPH. you think its the same thing you have or maybe wheel blanacing problem?[/b]
No I don't think so, that sounds more like a balance or alignment issue

·
Registered
4 Posts

Ok my baby is back home after 3 LONG days of work.loll They change the steering rack and all seems great!  

Lets hope it stays that way:D
Cheers.
Hi Ozzie,

Eldrid from Johannesburg, South Africa. It seems a bit late, but I've only purchased my 6 late last year. I also have a suspension problem similar to what you have described, and the Dealer have no clue as to what the problem is. Could you please furnish me with the Dealer's name and number that sorted your problem out. I'd like to get Ford Motor Company South Africa in touch with them. Seems to me there is a lack of competency in this country.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts