Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
So you turn the wheel slightly and the car follows your steering input, but then you return the steering wheel to center and the car doesn't track straight? Am I understanding that right?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I see, so OP, you give the car a slight steering input and it just doesn't return to center?

I don't think I would blame that on the tires.

You are, if I'm understanding correctly, hypothesizing that the EPS is holding your steering in a 5 degrees off-center position after you turn it there. I assume (can't say for sure) that the dealer would have checked this when they drove it around with the scanner attached. I don't think anybody here on the interwebs has the ability to diagnose that as being the problem, though. It's possible that the EPS is malfunctioning, perhaps because it thinks you are still putting a force on the steering wheel, but I don't know of any way to witness the EPS's operation in real time, or the input it thinks you are making on the steering wheel.

One suggestion I do have would be to disable the EPS. If you pull the fuse to the unit and the problem goes away, then you can remove the EPS from the list of possible culprits. If it doesn't, you'll know that it's not the EPS. That being said, I have no idea if this is as simple as pulling a fuse.

I don't know which thread you are referring to above, but posting a link here might help us to provide better insight.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You are correct, the steering wheel does not return to center, it returns to 5° outside of center and it holds the direction of any input within that 10° range. So when I said tracks straight, I meant when the input is 0°.

Pulling the fuse would rule out any possibility of a mechanical issue, I will do some research on this. Does anyone know if this would cause another problem?

I know you can witness the SAS in real time, I'm trying to find out what other components, if any, someone has been able to or knows of being able to view.

thread- Wandering issue

The car has this problem at all speeds.
Any update on this problem @EJAY11 ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts