Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was sitting at a stop light and jiggling my wheel back and forth and noticed when the steering wheel goes further than about 15 degrees either direction I get a clunking noise. I've never noticed it before, though it may be normal. Just wondering if anyone out there can check to see if theirs does it.

Conditions:
Car running at idle, stopped. Foot depressing brake pedal (doesn't matter how hard) and turning th steering wheel slightly band forth, ~15 degrees.

Edit: I haven't heard it while moving so far, and I more feel it through the brake pedal than hear it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
your springs are going to explode.

ive never heard of any problem like that, but i guess it could be spring related, its really hard to tell when all you know is when you turn the wheel its a clunk

more specific with the noise perhaps? does it do it while in park?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, just lowering springs, no shocks (yet ;)) and haven't put in my new brake pads yet either. I have had my steering column replaced once already, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
900 Posts
So I was sitting at a stop light and jiggling my wheel back and forth and noticed when the steering wheel goes further than about 15 degrees either direction I get a clunking noise. it.
[/b]
Let's see. I started to feel/hear a klunk around 11K miles. I first noticed it while laying it down through an exit ramp, but also could duplcate it sitting still. I kept telling the dealer it was in my steering rack. First they did a TSB for upper strut mounts. Then they did a TSB for spring isolators. Then they replaced my steering column! Finally at 18K miles they did my steering rack and after three(!!!) visits back to get it properly centered(aaarrrgghh!) it was fixed - for awhile. About 17K miles later I started to feel it again, but mostly only while driving. This time the tech replaced the spring isolators again and to my amazement it was fixed - for awhile. Then about 6K miles later It has started to come back. I just took it to the dealer and they felt that my failing clutch(another issue altogether!) was causing it. Being it is not doing it so much sitting and worse while on and off the gas while making sweeping turns (i.e. while the steering system is under stress) I was actually leaning towards the dog-bone mount started to wear thin. It's going back in next week for a new clutch. I'm having them readdress it then.

Oh, yeah, long story short it is probably spring isolators, or the steering rack. Good luck Gremlyn.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt its the isolators, they replaced those already before I had my column replaced when they were still trouble shooting. It may very well be the steering rack, I hadn't though of that. I guess I'll have to take it in and see what they say :sarc:

·
Registered
900 Posts
It may very well be the steering rack, I hadn't though of that.[/b]
It's easy to check. I had one of my techs under the car after I had racked it. They put their hand on the rack while I turned the wheel back and forth. You may actually have to ask your dealer to do this (amazingly enough, it took me 3 tries to get them to believe me about mine - and they knew my background!). If only I worked for a Mazda dealer and then I would be set!

Like you had noted, I admit that mine felt slightly better after the column was replaced. The part I hated most about the rack replacement was the part where I had to take it back 2 more times to get it centered(it turned 2.2 turns left and 2.9 right after replaced, then 2.4 turns left and 2.7 right after I took it back the 1st time, finally centered after the second time back and a deep discussion with the svc mgr!!!)! I rechecked everything myself after I got it back. Post back after you get it fixed. I'm curious as I had searched here before I had mine done and couldn't find anyone else that had a bad rack. A few columns, but no racks.

Anyway, take it easy. Later. :)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info zoomn, I'll see if I can get it in sometime this coming week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Mazda Gremlyn
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing